Are you a bad parent for letting your kids watch:

STAR WARS...

?????????????????

I had a brief conversation with a young lady just a tad older than me ( mid 30's) and I had asked her if her boys are looking forward to the new Star Wars movie, when she replied "Star Wars ? I wouldn't let my kids watch something that violent. THey don't even know what Star Wars is" ...

Her boys are 7 + 9.

Does this strike anyone else as just plain sad?

She went on to tell me her kids only watch Animal Planet, and aren't allowed anything else...

7 + 9 ???? Boys ????

Does anyone else think this type of parenting is more damaging than letting your kids watch "normal" stuff ( Cartoon Network, Nick, etc ) and watching movies like Star Wars?

Wow, what a BLAND childhood..

YUCK

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STAR WARS...

?????????????????

I had a brief conversation with a young lady just a tad older than me ( mid 30's) and I had asked her if her boys are looking forward to the new Star Wars movie, when she replied "Star Wars ? I wouldn't let my kids watch something that violent.  THey don't even know what Star Wars is" ...

Her boys are 7 + 9.

She went on to tell me her kids only watch Animal Planet, and aren't allowed anything else...

7 + 9 ???? Boys ????

Does anyone else think this type of parenting is more damaging than letting your kids watch "normal" stuff ( Cartoon Network, Nick, etc ) and watching movies like Star Wars?

YUCK

326397[/snapback]

My initial thoughts are (bare in mind, my wife and I do not have kids yet) that if you are concerned your kids are going to go over the edge by what the see, hear, or read, then you haven't done your job as a parent.

As I mentioned before, my wife and I do not have kids, so other people with kids may disagree.

What a load of crap - I saw Star Wars when I was so young that I don't even remember seeing it the first time. I was born in 1981 and I had ALL the toys from Return of the Jedi (1983).

It didn't make me violent - it just caused some really nerdy teenage years a decade later.

I don't know how extreme Stars Wars is because i've never seen an episode, but despite popular belief, I always think it's a bad idea to shelter kids from certain things because when it comes time when they are on their own and must face the real world, they usually don't know how to handle it and become out of control.

STAR WARS...

?????????????????

I had a brief conversation with a young lady just a tad older than me ( mid 30's) and I had asked her if her boys are looking forward to the new Star Wars movie, when she replied "Star Wars ? I wouldn't let my kids watch something that violent.  THey don't even know what Star Wars is" ...

Her boys are 7 + 9.

7 + 9 ???? Boys ????

YUCK

326397[/snapback]

i've got two words for this woman...mo ron. it scares me that people like this exist. i'm not being glib or trying to get a laugh. attitudes like this are scary.

These are the same type of kids that won't be allowed to play contact sports, because mommy thinks they'll get hurt. They're also the same kids that'll show up at school with pipe bombs and uzis because they were made fun of by all of the normal kids while they were hanging out in the cafeteria playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Everything in moderation...you can only shelter them for 18 years. Might as well expose them to some of the "bad" stuff before its too late...at least you can help them learn what is right and wrong, instead of making all of the decisions for them.

Reminds me of a lady that used to come in the library where my wife worked. She would never let her kids watch Madeline... Didn't want them to watch a video that promoted "nunnery's and Catholism!"... Then she would check out Pee-Wee Herman videos for them... Ya, right Pee-Wee's Playhouse?!

Gee? I don't know what I would do if my teenage daughter grew up to have religious values? :blink::angry:

People are nuts!

STAR WARS...

?????????????????

Her boys are 7 + 9.

7 + 9 ???? Boys ????

YUCK

326397[/snapback]

These kids are going to be shocked when they finally encounter life after Mommy. :blink:

STAR WARS...

?????????????????

Her boys are 7 + 9.

7 + 9 ???? Boys ????

YUCK

326397[/snapback]

While I think this kind of extremism is pretty absurd, if I were a parent, my biggest concern would not be so much the violence in the movies, but all the consumerism that "Star Wars" and other entertainment franchises thrive on, and ultimately promote. I went to Target this past week, with my nephew, to buy him a birthday gift. The amount of "Star Wars" merchendise was out of hand...and the friggin' movie isn't even out yet!

I realize, it is silly for me to look down on this stuff, when I am posting on a message board of an NFL franchise that I have been obsessed with most of my life. It just seems like this stuff is so out of hand.

Yeah, that's pretty over cautious.

My little brother is 7, and he watches Star Wars. Plus he loves movies like Indiana Jones, which may even have more blood/violence than Star Wars.

It's not like he's watching Saving Private Ryan or anything...

Although he does love Animal Planet too! :blink:

I think that sort of thinking sells the kids IQ short. Kids know the difference between fantasy and reality. Thats what makes cartoons and science fiection so much fun. Because it is fantasy.

Get a life lady! And yes I do have two children, and they have seen all of the Star Wars movies. Happy to announce they are normal well adjusted children.

While I think this kind of extremism is pretty absurd, if I were a parent, my biggest concern would not be so much the violence in the movies, but all the consumerism that "Star Wars" and other entertainment franchises thrive on, and ultimately promote.  I went to Target this past week, with my nephew, to buy him a birthday gift.  The amount of "Star Wars" merchendise was out of hand...and the friggin' movie isn't even out yet! 

I realize, it is silly for me to look down on this stuff, when I am posting on a message board of an NFL franchise that I have been obsessed with most of my life.  It just seems like this stuff is so out of hand.

326443[/snapback]

good opportunity for a parent to instill some moderation into their kids by just saying "NO" and not buying every Star Wars item you happen upon in the store.

it deals with MAGIC. and magic is the work of witches and the devil.

my mom tells me the same thing about harry potter.

this is 1 reason why i went to college 5 hours away.... :angry:

but to kids its just a movie.

but to some freaks, its a way of life... :blink: