Are you a bad parent for letting your kids watch:

:P

I know someone who thinks if you let your kids watch anything on Nick you are a bad parent...hell, she won't let her kids see Harry Potter either, because it's too scary. :angry:

326513[/snapback]

We know a couple who thinks he same way. They fear everything.

They wish to raise programmed robots, not children. :blink:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Star Wars ? I wouldn't let my kids watch something that violent.  "

She went on to tell me her kids only watch Animal Planet, and aren't allowed anything else...

326397[/snapback]

Yeah...good thing nature isn't violent. All those carnivorous predators actually shop at the local Safeway for their meat. :blink:

You don't want your kids to see Star Wars? Fine... (my mother wouldn't let me when I was young, because "Darth Vader is scary". Of course, my mother's also a f'in idjimit..) But don't try to sell some rooster and bull story about it being more violent than nature programs...

I have a 5 1/2 and a just turned 4 year old. Star Wars would not bother me, but I do draw the line on some of the things on Nick. In my house, words such as "shut up" and "your stupid" are not allowed. As`well, all adults are called Mr or Mrs, or Aunt or Uncle so and so.My kids are being taught to respect others . Try watching Nick or Cartoon network. The utter lack of respect on some of thse shows is unbelievable, and to my mind they just do not need to watch.

On the other hand, their favorite movie, as well as one of mine, is the Princess Bride. My four year can be heard often while playing swords with the kid acroos the street" mY name is Indigo Montaya, you killed my father, prepare to die" and I am perfectly okay with that as he understands it is a movie.

In my house, words such as "shut up" and  "your stupid" are not allowed.

I'm assuming "You're stupid" is allowed? :blink:

(sorry... Ok, no I'm not :angry: )

I was born in '75 and my dad took me to the first Star Wars movie. I don't really remember much of anything about the movie itself, but I do remember seeing the giant Darth Vader cutout in the lobby of the movie theater (saw it at the Summit Park Mall in Niagara Falls). I still have TONS of the original toys; should look at selling them to fund my basement reconstruction fund :P

CW

Sith is supposed to be the first that is rated worse than PG -- it's supposed to be PG-13. I haven't heard that confirmed yet though.

I have a six and eight year old. They love Star Wars. We're definitely more cautious than the average parent with our kids Star Wars violence (in the first 5 movies) has been relatively inocuous (sp?), little blood, often off screen. In fact, the first Star Wars (Ep IV) would have been rated G but Lucas added the charred skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru to make sure that it got the 'better' PG rating. For as good as the special effects are, the violence in the movies has always been very corny, more implied than shown.

Sith is supposed to be the first that is rated worse than PG -- it's supposed to be PG-13.  I haven't heard that confirmed yet though.

I have a six and eight year old.  They love Star Wars.  We're definitely more cautious than the average parent with our kids  Star Wars violence (in the first 5 movies) has been relatively inocuous (sp?), little blood, often off screen.  In fact, the first Star Wars (Ep IV) would have been rated G but Lucas added the charred skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru to make sure that it got the 'better' PG rating.  For as good as the special effects are, the violence in the movies has always been very corny, more implied than shown.

326579[/snapback]

Exactly. The only thing that I think might be remotely scary for a kid from the IV V VI trilogy would be Palpatine frying Luke with the lightning bolts.

I'm assuming "You're stupid" is allowed?  :w00t:

(sorry...  Ok, no I'm not :) )

I was born in '75 and my dad took me to the first Star Wars movie.  I don't really remember much of anything about the movie itself, but I do remember seeing the giant Darth Vader cutout in the lobby of the movie theater (saw it at the Summit Park Mall in Niagara Falls).  I still have TONS of the original toys; should look at selling them to fund my basement reconstruction fund ;)

CW

326565[/snapback]

No you're stupid is not allowed either :w00t: Now dont be pickin on my LaSalle HIgh School Education FEZ, we were bread and buttered in the same place!!!!!!

No you're  stupid is not allowed either :w00t:  Now dont be pickin on my LaSalle HIgh School Education FEZ, we were bread and buttered in the same place!!!!!!

326587[/snapback]

I had better English teachers :) (actually, I did have really good english teachers in high school... But I digress :w00t: ).

CW

Being surrogate GMs wasn't enough on TBD, now everyone wants to be surrogate parents :w00t:

My boys are 7, 4 and 3 and all of you guys voicing opinions about raising other people's kids, especially the posters without their own kids, are fuggin idiots.

BTW, my kids will probably be able to see the new Star Wars - but not until it's out on video. The movies are too loud and too "BIG" for my kids in the theater, even just my seven year old. I know my kids and I make decisions based on my kids, their maturation and my beliefs.

i've got two words for this woman...mo ron.  it scares me that people like this exist.  i'm not being glib or trying to get a laugh.  attitudes like this are scary.

326409[/snapback]

Spoken like a dude with no kids, right?

You call her a moron, but I applaud her for AT LEAST taking an interest in her children and what they're exposed to.

You're welcome to live with the flip side of that coin if you like, but before you so easily pass judgement on a parent, try being one first. The options are overwhelming.

My 6 and 8-year old children have seen the other movies, and enjoyed them at their level -- they'll watch them again when they're older and will get more out of them, for sure.

As for Episode 3, George Lucas himself says that he would not take a young child to see this movie:

The final, long-awaited Star Wars movie is not suitable for children, director George Lucas has admitted.

Episode III – Revenge Of The Sith is the darkest, most violent instalment of the series and Lucas expects to get a PG-13 rating in the US.

“I don’t think I would take a five– or a six-year-old to this, it’s way too strong,” he said

I think he would know what he's talking about. My kids will wait.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4242884

Exactly. The only thing that I think might be remotely scary for a kid from the IV V VI trilogy would be Palpatine frying Luke with the lightning bolts.

326584[/snapback]

The Rancor monster scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. I didn't like the ice monster on Hoth much either. But, then again, I was like 3 years old.

The Rancor monster scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.  I didn't like the ice monster on Hoth much either.  But, then again, I was like 3 years old.

326699[/snapback]

Yeah, the Hoth thing was a little scary, but the whole sleeping in the gutted monster creeped me out as a kid.

Spoken like a dude with no kids, right?

You call her a moron, but I applaud her for AT LEAST taking an interest in her children and what they're exposed to.

You're welcome to live with the flip side of that coin if you like, but before you so easily pass judgement on a parent, try being one first. The options are overwhelming.

326696[/snapback]

I wouldn't call it "taking an interest" so much as making sure they're not exposed to anything.

Best parenting I ever saw was a guy I worked for who'd let his young kids watch a lot of stuff most people would think was inappropriate...but would go WELL out of his way to put it in a context he felt was appropriate ("This is just a movie, in real life, people don't just shoot other people for no reason and walk away like nothing happened...") His kids grew up to be MUCH more well adjusted than the children of "Oh, you can't watch Jurassic Park until you're 18...dinosaurs are scary!" parents...

I saw Star Wars when I was 6. Loved it. If I got a gold star for the week from school my Pops would get me a new action figure. Good times.

Now Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory scared the bejeebus out of me. Seeing the fat kid fall in the chocolate river and go up the tube and that chick blow up into a giant blueberry disturbed me for life man. Think I can sue my parents?

I've got an aunt by marriage that has two kids that are 5&7. She doesn't let them watch certain Disney movies because of violent content. I find it kind of ridiculous and look forward to watching those kids rebel like nobody's business later on in their lives. As far as Star Wars goes I guess I can see why someone would feel that it's too violent for their kids, but I don't agree. The greatest thing about Star Wars is that good wins in the end. It's a good moral lesson for kids.

Now Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory scared the bejeebus out of me. Seeing the fat kid fall in the chocolate river and go up the tube and that chick blow up into a giant blueberry disturbed me for life man.

326713[/snapback]

You and me both. I hated the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz, too.