Are you a bad parent for letting your kids watch:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids are 10 & 7 and I'm debating whether to take them to the new star wars or not.  They have already seen the other 5, in fact we watched VI this past weekend.  III is supposed to be "darker" and more violent than the others so I am still debating it.  As someone pointed out the violience in Star Wars has been somewhat "clean", not a lot of blood and guts and graphic slow motion light saber through the heart type stuff.  I may go watch it myself first and then decide.

Besides if I do that I get to see it twice in the theatre.

And to all of you who are passing judgement:

No one here has any right to say one way or the other whether the woman is correct in keeping her kids from watching star wars.  You don't know her, her kids or anything about them.  What you think is proper for your kids doesn't make it proper for anyone else's kids. As in most cases opinions are best left unsaid.

But then if we all followed that this board wouldn't exist would it?

326807[/snapback]

I just finished the novel adaptation of the movie. This is by far the darkest of the six movies and will probably have the most violence of the six as well -- by that I mean individuals dying that the story is connected to, not just someone's starship blowing up, or generic Rebel soldiers / faceless stormtroopers falling over after getting hit by a FX laser

I wouldn't call it "taking an interest" so much as making sure they're not exposed to anything.

326708[/snapback]

Tomato...tomahto. My point is, she's taking an active role. Given my son is only 5 months, it's not like I have world experience...but I am overwhelmed daily with what type of interaction is supposed to be good or bad at that age. By the time he's seven, I can only imagine how challenging it is to ensure you're steering your child in the right direction.

To me, though, the one thing you can do wrong is nothing.

This will be the type of kid who od's his first year in college....

You can't protect your kids forever....I don't see anything wrong with Star Wars....

My kids (9 & 11) have seen all the Star Wars and we are planning on going to the new one.....STAR WARS!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????   I live in a world called reality...imagine a movie about good vs evil.......this woman should get her head out of her ass.  The kids hear alot worse language in kindergarden....Her kid will not grow up to be street smart at all.....She's destroying their lives already....thats really sad.....she's definately from the dark side....

326752[/snapback]

So by not letting her kids watch "starwars" she is destroying their lives??? :w00t::w00t: Jesus, I never saw any "starwars movie" (I am 38) and turned out alright.

I think you need to take it down a notch Dr. Phil - do not be so judgemental. Life and parenting is not black and white with absolutes and generalities.

Parenting is relative to a lot of circumstances and the fact you predict her kids to OD in college because she, as a parent, set limits is troubling and speaks volumes.....

PS - it is spelled kindergarten, with a "t" not a "d". While "street smarts" is ok, I also think it is ok to be "book smart", for several reasons, as well.

So by not letting her kids watch "starwars" she is destroying their lives??? :w00t:  :w00t:  Jesus, I never saw any "starwars movie" (I am 38) and turned out alright.

I think you need to take it down a notch Dr. Phil - do not be so judgemental.  Life and parenting is not black and white with absolutes and generalities. 

Parenting is relative to a lot of circumstances and the fact you predict her kids to OD in college because she, as a parent, set limits is troubling and speaks volumes.....

PS -  it is spelled kindergarten, with a "t" not a "d".  While "street smarts" is ok, I also think it is ok to be "book smart", for several reasons, as well.

326826[/snapback]

that's ok, judgmental doesn't have an "e" in it either :)

i think we all need to step back from this one and just take it easy. she is probably not some psycho mom who will destroy her kids' lives. it's just a movie, guys.

Tomato...tomahto. My point is, she's taking an active role. Given my son is only 5 months, it's not like I have world experience...but I am overwhelmed daily with what type of interaction is supposed to be good or bad at that age. By the time he's seven, I can only imagine how challenging it is to ensure you're steering your child in the right direction.

To me, though, the one thing you can do wrong is nothing.

326823[/snapback]

Yes, she is taking an active role, I'll give her credit for that. It puts her a step ahead of the "My kids won't see it because George Lucas said they shouldn't" crowd.

Do I need them to exercise responsibility and common sense?  Letting George Lucas judge for you whether or not a movie's okay for your kids is stupid as hell.  It's an abrogation of parental responsibility, not an exercise of it.

326737[/snapback]

Lets just say it lends a differant perspective. While I agree with your premise, things are not as cut and dried as you believe.

I've met children I would trust with a varmint rifle, and adults who make me nervous when sharp objects are around. Nice part about being a parent - I get to decide what's appropriate for my kids, and everyone else can stuff their opinion. <_<

So by not letting her kids watch "starwars" she is destroying their lives??? :D  <_<  Jesus, I never saw any "starwars movie" (I am 38) and turned out alright.

I think you need to take it down a notch Dr. Phil - do not be so judgemental.  Life and parenting is not black and white with absolutes and generalities. 

PS -  it is spelled kindergarten, with a "t" not a "d".  While "street smarts" is ok, I also think it is ok to be "book smart", for several reasons, as well.

326826[/snapback]

If you read the original post....the kids can only watch certain tv shows as well..I bet their not aloud to play sports either because they might get hurt or play video games because their too violent also...just let the kids sit in their room to be safe....her kids will have a tough time in social situations when their older.....I guess if she kept them locked in a closet that would be ok....She's not living in the real world.....Kids should be contained, not controlled.....

sorry my spelling was off.....I guess thats why you didn't understand my post...

:D

I know someone who thinks if you let your kids watch anything on Nick you are a bad parent...hell, she won't let her kids see Harry Potter either, because it's too scary. <_<

326513[/snapback]

I'll take "Rude Awakening When the Child Finally Leaves the Nest" for $200 please, Alex. :)

Sith is supposed to be the first that is rated worse than PG -- it's supposed to be PG-13.  I haven't heard that confirmed yet though.

I have a six and eight year old.  They love Star Wars.  We're definitely more cautious than the average parent with our kids  Star Wars violence (in the first 5 movies) has been relatively inocuous (sp?), little blood, often off screen.  In fact, the first Star Wars (Ep IV) would have been rated G but Lucas added the charred skeletons of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru to make sure that it got the 'better' PG rating.  For as good as the special effects are, the violence in the movies has always been very corny, more implied than shown.

326579[/snapback]

I'm right there with you. My six year old son is absolutely loopy about seeing the new Star Wars. He's has watched all the others and didn't find them scary at all. However, I've seen the trailer for this one and as a parent I'm a bit concerned. Revenge of the Sith appears to be a whole lot darker and a whole lot more violent than any of the proceeding episodes. Now is it Jason X, no but I'm am a little...well...nervous about it.