Jump to content

Pass interference calls/non calls


Hermes
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You know what they'd do. 

That would’ve made the call on Wallace even funnier assuming that still happens in OT. evans was dangerously close to offensive pass interference when Wallace had the ball played perfectly and a shot at a game winning int …Brady threw an absolutely terrible ball there and was bailed out big time. It’s really the combination of that no call on diggs and that Wallace call in OT that grinds my gears…how do both those calls go against the wrong team

4 minutes ago, Hermes said:

Send a message to the defense that they're either going to have to be more physical or back off. Its psychological. The refs at that point are irrelevant and if they do throw a flag. Odds are they'd look at the whole play again rather than just a penalty on Diggs

Not entirely. But the team at that point must've known they weren't going to get any calls going their way. So force the issue. Make the refs throw the flag and from what we've seen in the NFL the offense generally gets the benefit of the doubt

Are you talking about diggs or Wallace? I was talking about the first half diggs play where the defender stretched his jersey 20 yards lol the one late in the game was pretty awful as well but that first half play was criminal 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

But it is about what the refs do or don't do.  The players have an expectation they'll call the game fair and square.  Whether they call it tight or lose.  Call it fair and even.  They shouldn't have to embellish or take a dive because the officials fail to do their job correctly.  Last night the ref's failed the game and they poorly represented their profession.      

The Bills player should know what the expectation is at this point. They are going to be on the bad end of things. Deal with it

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not going to stop a thing unless the referees throw a flag. 
 

Nobody is going to stop being physical because Diggs is physical back. 

If they get punched in the head they wouldn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Evian said:

The officials blew multiple calls but the Bills had the ball in OT and did nothing. 

 

I am not even sure officiating matters with the Bills. They find ways to lose close games. Over and over and over. 

 

 

Well it helps that the final of the 3 pics of Diggs being manhandled was on the 3rs down in OT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hermes said:

The Bills player should know what the expectation is at this point. They are going to be on the bad end of things. Deal with it

I’m not sure how you deal with dragging a defender with you that is holding you as obviously as possible haha that might literally be the worst no call I’ve ever seen…the one to end the game was bad also but Davis did a somewhat nice acting job to make it look like they tangled feet when really he just straight up lost a handcheck battle and then ripped diggs down by his jersey. That one doesn’t make me terribly mad until combined with the ridiculous OT call 

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not going to stop a thing unless the referees throw a flag. 
 

Nobody is going to stop being physical because Diggs is physical back. 

I’m not understanding what he’s trying to say…the bills should commit more penalties when the refs are only calling penalties on one team?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

 

Well it helps that the final of the 3 pics of Diggs being manhandled was on the 3rs down in OT

 

Who cares. They had the ball in OT and could have ended the game. They ran 3 plays for 6 yards and punted. It is sad people keep making excuses for this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That would’ve made the call on Wallace even funnier assuming that still happens in OT. evans was dangerously close to offensive pass interference when Wallace had the ball played perfectly and a shot at a game winning int …Brady threw an absolutely terrible ball there and was bailed out big time. It’s really the combination of that no call on diggs and that Wallace call in OT that grinds my gears…how do both those calls go against the wrong team

Are you talking about diggs or Wallace? I was talking about the first half diggs play where the defender stretched his jersey 20 yards lol the one late in the game was pretty awful as well but that first half play was criminal 

Yeah, the Diggs play. He had the awareness to throw his hands out for a flag, at that point, plant, pivot, and give a two hand shove

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s not going to stop a thing unless the referees throw a flag. 
 

Nobody is going to stop being physical because Diggs is physical back. 

 

I think Diggs can do two things better. Either fight harder through the contact and try to catch the ball, or go to the ground when the guy has a hold of his jersey. 

 

It's like he half tries to fight through, half tries to throw his hands up to get a call. Do one or the other better. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me it’s the intent of the defenders that makes me angry…we can harp on the fade call but diggs beat his man and Davis’ only hope was to drag diggs down with him and maybe save the game on a goal line stand. You can even see him pound his hand on the ground like sh*t I just blew the game.  And that earlier jersey rip of diggs he beat everyone and was going to be open for a huge gain. People are talking like the defense was in a good position and it was a tossup call that didn’t go in our favor. These were all absolute desperation holds that I’m sure the defense was even surprised they weren’t called.

1 minute ago, Hermes said:

Yeah, the Diggs play. He had the awareness to throw his hands out for a flag, at that point, plant, pivot, and give a two hand shove

 

In order to catch the ball? Pi absolutely should’ve been called there and you give away absolutely any hope of that if you do that…that’s insanity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m not sure how you deal with dragging a defender with you that is holding you as obviously as possible haha that might literally be the worst no call I’ve ever seen…the one to end the game was bad also but Davis did a somewhat nice acting job to make it look like they tangled feet when really he just straight up lost a handcheck battle and then ripped diggs down by his jersey. That one doesn’t make me terribly mad until combined with the ridiculous OT call 

I’m not understanding what he’s trying to say…the bills should commit more penalties when the refs are only calling penalties on one team?  

I'm saying that if the refs are gonna let it be physical be physical back. At that point "F" the rules and give the defense what they're giving you. If they throw a flag and then it's on the offense, at that point it's even more egregious what the defense did and didn't get called for. There's replay in modern sports so anyone with eyes would be able to see even moreso how that particular play, played out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

 

I think Diggs can do two things better. Either fight harder through the contact and try to catch the ball, or go to the ground when the guy has a hold of his jersey. 

 

It's like he half tries to fight through, half tries to throw his hands up to get a call. Do one or the other better. 

That play at the end of regulation was a little weird looking but there’s enough officials at enough angles where I’m sure they saw it properly and just swallowed their whistles to ‘not impact the game’ but that’s what they precisely ended up doing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That play at the end of regulation was a little weird looking but there’s enough officials at enough angles where I’m sure they saw it properly and just swallowed their whistles to ‘not impact the game’ but that’s what they precisely ended up doing 

 

Yeah, but if Diggs goes to the ground with the guy who's on his knees with a fistful of jersey, there's no way they can't call that. 

 

But he fought through it enough to throw his hands up and beg the refs for a call. 

 

He has to go to ground with the defender while contact is being made. Not after...

 

Edited by Motorin'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Hermes said:

You know what I get it. I've played sports at high levels throughout my life, rugby, not Football, but man even if it takes getting a penalty do something. Diggs reacted enough to get his hands out to look for a call, he could've done something else at that point too, no?

I understand what you’re saying. But, you are mistaken with a failed analogy. I played rugby for (f***, I’m old) 30 years. With one official for 30 players on the field, rugby relies on player enforcement. That doesn’t work in the NFL. Seven referees and video review sees and calls everything. Diggs can’t rake the defender. It is a different reality. 
 

All that said, the rugger inside me wishes Diggs had stomped his sorry @$$.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Motorin' said:

 

Yeah, but if Diggs goes to the ground with the guy who's on his knees with a fistful of jersey, there's no way that can't call that. 

 

Bit he fought through it enough to throw his hands up and beg the refs for a call. 

 

He has to go to ground with the defender while contact is being made. Not after. 

I think they are trying to sell it to us as ‘their feet got tangled’ so I’m not sure it would’ve mattered but maybe …I do agree it was a bizarre looking play that diggs beat his man so badly that the guy ripped at his jersey with both hands and still couldn’t bring him down. Defender is even stunned he got away with that one guaranteed 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

For me it’s the intent of the defenders that makes me angry…we can harp on the fade call but diggs beat his man and Davis’ only hope was to drag diggs down with him and maybe save the game on a goal line stand. You can even see him pound his hand on the ground like sh*t I just blew the game.  And that earlier jersey rip of diggs he beat everyone and was going to be open for a huge gain. People are talking like the defense was in a good position and it was a tossup call that didn’t go in our favor. These were all absolute desperation holds that I’m sure the defense was even surprised they weren’t called.

In order to catch the ball? Pi absolutely should’ve been called there and you give away absolutely any hope of that if you do that…that’s insanity. 

I don't disagree. It was absolutely DPI, or holding at the least. I'm saying Diggs should've either turned and thrown a shoulder or aggressively attacked the ball.

 

Instead, he chose to put his hands out to B word to the refs. Either option at that point would've been preferable. 

 

I'm sure McD peaches not to do that but at some point just let the emotion flow over. Utilize that energy to do something rather than nothing

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

 

Yeah, but if Diggs goes to the ground with the guy who's on his knees with a fistful of jersey, there's no way that can't call that. 

 

Bit he fought through it enough to throw his hands up and beg the refs for a call. 

 

He has to go to ground with the defender while contact is being made. Not after. 

Exactly. The Bills can't just look for these calls, bc they just don't get them. Do something different and see what happens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hermes said:

I don't disagree. It was absolutely DPI, or holding at the least. I'm saying Diggs should've either turned and thrown a shoulder or aggressively attacked the ball.

 

Instead, he chose to put his hands out to B word to the refs. Either option at that point would've been preferable. 

 

I'm sure McD peaches not to do that but at some point just let the emotion flow over. Utilize that energy to do something rather than nothing

I think the hands up thing is a common move to show you’re being held and draw attention to it…I think it was more about davis doing such a pathetic job tripping on his own two feet and going to the ground diving at diggs jersey that ended up giving the refs ‘enough’ ammo to call it questionable and move on.  It looked like diggs had to have something to do with davis falling when he very much didn’t 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I understand what you’re saying. But, you are mistaken with a failed analogy. I played rugby for (f***, I’m old) 30 years. With one official for 30 players on the field, rugby relies on player enforcement. That doesn’t work in the NFL. Seven referees and video review sees and calls everything. Diggs can’t rake the defender. It is a different reality. 
 

All that said, the rugger inside me wishes Diggs had stomped his sorry @$$.

Fair enough. The games are truly two different beasts, however, the physicality isn't lost in translation. Diggs should've turned and given the defender something bc the refs would've been forced to throw a flag since there's so many of them. They would've got into their little huddle and discussed the whole play and why the flag was thrown. The replay would've been looked at and in all honesty I doubt Diggs would've gotten a flag. If, at that point, they looked at the review, and saw the jersey tug which led to a Diggs response, could they not call it on the defense. The NFL would look even worse than it does right now in regards to officiating

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hermes said:

I don't disagree. It was absolutely DPI, or holding at the least. I'm saying Diggs should've either turned and thrown a shoulder or aggressively attacked the ball.

 

Instead, he chose to put his hands out to B word to the refs. Either option at that point would've been preferable. 

 

I'm sure McD peaches not to do that but at some point just let the emotion flow over. Utilize that energy to do something rather than nothing

Exactly. The Bills can't just look for these calls, bc they just don't get them. Do something different and see what happens. 

I mean in the heat of the moment like that I’m not sure how much thought you get to put into how to make it most look like you’re getting held to be fair lol he doesn’t get to see himself from 37 broadcast angles.  Shoving the defender when you know you’re due an obvious dpi call in a game where your team is getting no calls to begin with doesn’t make a lot of sense to me…in the moment how does he know he’s gonna be victimized by an awful no call…100% they’re calling OPI if he does that and he’s likely not catching the ball anyway 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Hermes said:

If they call a penalty it's not a loss of downs and they get another shot at the game winning score 

But you are saying that because the Bills didn’t get the DPI called for them that someone should have smashed a Tampa bay players helmet into the ground…you can be aggressive without being stupid-getting a personal foul would’ve been stupid, not aggressive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...