Someone please explain me what Buffalo's defense was doing on the TD Run????

Billsfan1972

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's Chris Simms breaking it down:

https://youtu.be/1_WeXrJxURM&t=1h23m29s

His opinion is that Milano didn’t stay disciplined, overplayed it, and left a wide open cutback lane.

Also at some point they will need to make a decision on H. Phillips imo

he gets moved off his spot way too easily and too often

to be fair I’m not entirely sure why he was in 3tech and not Oliver 

weird look defensively

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Also at some point they will need to make a decision on H. Phillips imo

he gets moved off his spot way too easily and too often

to be fair I’m not entirely sure why he was in 3tech and not Oliver 

weird look defensively

with 46 run plays against, there will be wins and losses. I felt like , although still a developing player (maybe never full time starter type) Phillips had his best game in a long time.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

with 46 run plays against, there will be wins and losses. I felt like , although still a developing player (maybe never full time starter type) Phillips had his best game in a long time.

for me a lot of defensive line play is instinctual and sometimes it looks like he is overthinking. Phillips is a smart player but if you watch a vet like Lotulelei in the middle for example, you'll see him in 1tech getting pieces of guards in zone to buy an extra half step for the LBs, keeping his footwork balanced when he needs to have a different angle...I rarely see that ability to adapt out of Phillips. He knows his responsibilities but doesn't have any counters when the situation calls for it

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

for me a lot of defensive line play is instinctual and sometimes it looks like he is overthinking. Phillips is a smart player but if you watch a vet like Lotulelei in the middle for example, you'll see him in 1tech getting pieces of guards in zone to buy an extra half step for the LBs, keeping his footwork balanced when he needs to have a different angle...I rarely see that ability to adapt out of Phillips. He knows his responsibilities but doesn't have any counters when the situation calls for it

That's not insticts - that's coaching - fundamentals and technique. Phillips ball get off is slow af and he lacks athleticism. It'll always hold him back.

Again I ask, why did we look so loose on Defense and weren't crowding the LOS, when they showed no intent of passing?

I'm a layman when it comes to defense, but everyone looked lost and we had only 4 on the LOS.  They had 1 receiver on the line, I guess a TE and two backs & showed no intent to pass the ball.

BTW wake me up when the Bills bust an easy 65 yard run like that....

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Again I ask, why did we look so loose on Defense and weren't crowding the LOS, when they showed no intent of passing?

I'm a layman when it comes to defense, but everyone looked lost and we had only 4 on the LOS.  They had 1 receiver on the line, I guess a TE and two backs & showed no intent to pass the ball.

Why weren't we crowding the line of scrimmage?

We had 10 guys within 4 yards of the line!  

What did you want exactly?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yeah, this statement doesn't make much sense buddy. We were playing our base 4-3 personnel grouping with Cover 3 behind it. Technically we had 6 on the LoS. Wallace could be considered a 9 tech, Epinesa a 5, Oliver a tilt 1, Phillips a tilt 3, Rousseau a 6 and Poyer a 9. No one was lost - they just got beat.

I also don't know what "they showed no intent to pass the ball means". Are you basing this off of the personnel on the field? The offensive formation? The tendencies they showed so far in the game?

56 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why weren't we crowding the line of scrimmage?

We had 10 guys within 4 yards of the line!  

What did you want exactly?

And the one who wasn't near the line gave up contain on the play to pursue the ball carrier leaving precisely no one to stop the RB once he got 5 yards downfield.

Really, it was the worst of all possible defenses. The alignment was all in to stop the run against the heavy formation, but with players like all 178 lbs of Levi Wallace to do it. Hyde was back there just in case, but he overpursued it too.

And it's not like that changed later on as we played 2 CBs on every play and 3 CBs on half the plays, even with one receiver out there an an extra lineman and TE.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And the one who wasn't near the line gave up contain on the play to pursue the ball carrier leaving precisely no one to stop the RB once he got 5 yards downfield.

Really, it was the worst of all possible defenses. The alignment was all in to stop the run against the heavy formation, but with players like all 178 lbs of Levi Wallace to do it. Hyde was back there just in case, but he overpursued it too.

And it's not like that changed later on as we played 2 CBs on every play and 3 CBs on half the plays, even with one receiver out there an an extra lineman and TE.

Absolutely right.  Why do we have 180 lbs defensive backs out there, when NE has 8 men on the LOS and one receiver into block and 2 backs?    

I keep watching the play and the Bills were lined up very loose.  Again I'm no expert, but while the Bills had a threat of a passing game, the Pats line stood up well.  Conversely the Pats made no attempt to even look like they would throw and the Bills didn't seem to adapt.  

Here's highlights from the 1st quarter, Usually there is 5 vs. 5 on LOS.  The Bills are playing tight and the Pats have receivers spread out.   The TD run the Pats had 8 on the LOS vs. the Bills 4.     

They seemed in the wrong defense there.

Edited by Billsfan1972

50 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Absolutely right.  Why do we have 180 lbs defensive backs out there, when NE has 8 men on the LOS and one receiver into block and 2 backs?    

I keep watching the play and the Bills were lined up very loose.  Again I'm no expert, but while the Bills had a threat of a passing game, the Pats line stood up well.  Conversely the Pats made no attempt to even look like they would throw and the Bills didn't seem to adapt.  

Here's highlights from the 1st quarter, Usually there is 5 vs. 5 on LOS.  The Bills are playing tight and the Pats have receivers spread out.   The TD run the Pats had 8 on the LOS vs. the Bills 4.     

They seemed in the wrong defense there.

I don't think you understand how football works my friend.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It has now been explained dozens of times. How much attention do you need?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.