Buffalo Firefighter Awakes After 10 Year Coma

PTS

classic TBD...turning a nice feel good story into a political pissing match

326019[/snapback]

Yeah tell me about, I'm sorry I posted the news link.

Yes because we all know comatose "brain-dead" people can NEVER be revived, right?

325796[/snapback]

I'm surprised Joe, you usually make very reasonable arguments and back them up with facts. Brain dead people can never be revived, correct. Shiavo wasn't brain dead, and comatose is not a synonym for brain death.

RTB

I went to high school with Donnie Herbert. He was a good football player and a tough kid. I didn't know him well - he was a year or two ahead of me, but my guess is that he was definitely a Bills fan.

Actually, his family has had similar battles as the Schiavos and there have been big stories about it in the News.

he has 4 sons they where 7- 14- 16- and 17 when it happened dec 29 1995. first thing he said was that he wanted to talk to his wife . he has been getting physical therapy 2.5 months after the accident but was un able to communicate. nurses say they herd him start talking sat .

People think that when a person comes out of a coma, it's like on TV where they are normal immediately. It just means he is not unconscious. As the post above states he has to have Rehab and finally talked after 2 months.

People think that when a person comes out of a coma, it's like on TV where they are normal immediately. It just means he is not unconscious. As the post above states he has to have Rehab and finally talked after 2 months.

326242[/snapback]

he has been in rehab for over 9 years he could not talk that just started he did know some peoples names

He isn't out of the woods yet, there is some trauma to come

with the things he is going to learn:

OJ walked?

Clinton did what?

George Bush got re-elected? The Son?

Ratzinger's Pope?

Seriously though, what a great story. :blink:

Different injury.

Being comatose, even for such a huge length of time, is an entirely different order of injury, and comparatively minor (ie: you can recover from it - Terri Schiavo was not in a coma).

PVS is a difficult condition to diagnose, 'cases' which have had recoveries were not in fact PVS. Schiavo certainly seemed to have PVS - when the autopsy comes out we will know for sure.

BTW not condoning what went on, just don't wish to see a mistaken view that these two cases were the same, when they are hugely different, which dilutes the argument, IMHO.

326002[/snapback]

Shhhhh. It wrecks a good story! Makes good JSP soundbytes!

:blink::angry:

My guess is that there were NOT basic similarities between this cas and the Schiavo case unless all the key issues are the same.

One of the big keys to the Schiavo case was who decides for a person who is not able to make their own health decisions. The dispute was that her husband says that she clearly told him her wished not be kept alive if it required the use of itmes like the feeding tube in a hospital while her parents said that she should be kept alive, expressed no wish like that her husband said, and that she and the husband were no longer married in face, he was motivated by money, and should not be the next of kin.

The courts ruled on the side of the sanctity of marriage and declared him the rightful next of kin.

I have seen nothing to indicate that the basic issue of the firefighter's next of kin is the same as the dispute in the Schiavo case.

To me however, the rule is the same, in cases of incapacity the next of kin gets to speak for the incapacitated person and I feel very uncomfortable with government intruding in decisions between a husband and wife virtually regardless of the reason.

It seems in both cases the next of kin made the right decisions.