Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

14 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

It really isn't. For some reason the hard right/alt right thinks we should appease Russia because reasons. The hard left/far left thinks Imperialism is only bad when America does it, so they support Russia. 

Reasonable people in both parties tend to support Ukraine, because its a really, really easy issue to be right about. 

I think you skipped one part.  I haven't posted much here in years so just so you know, I'm all for supporting Ukraine. 

That being said, there is very little discussion on Twitter.  Garry Kasparov would be ratio'd in about 5 minutes if he'd ever make a statement like "Maybe it's time to negotiate" ( Not that he'd ever do that because he wants Putin gone).

So yes, you're right about the alt right and far left but you're missing the were supposed to be middle ground but now seem to be uncompromising to even discuss anything but absolute surrender by Russia. 

9 hours ago, meazza said:

I think you skipped one part.  I haven't posted much here in years so just so you know, I'm all for supporting Ukraine. 

That being said, there is very little discussion on Twitter.  Garry Kasparov would be ratio'd in about 5 minutes if he'd ever make a statement like "Maybe it's time to negotiate" ( Not that he'd ever do that because he wants Putin gone).

So yes, you're right about the alt right and far left but you're missing the were supposed to be middle ground but now seem to be uncompromising to even discuss anything but absolute surrender by Russia. 

Ukraine is the perfect scenario for the military industrial complex. The Left hates Putin because they’re convinced he helped Trump defeat Hillary. The Right loves a good war regardless of who’s fighting it. So the result is a conflict that nobody’s interested in stopping. Unfortunately there are real people caught in the crossfire and nobody cares enough to do much more than put a bumper sticker on their car.

9 hours ago, meazza said:

d6224500ae126c53fb6036e4740c088d50d80efb

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ukraine is the perfect scenario for the military industrial complex. The Left hates Putin because they’re convinced he helped Trump defeat Hillary. The Right loves a good war regardless of who’s fighting it. So the result is a conflict that nobody’s interested in stopping. Unfortunately there are real people caught in the crossfire and nobody cares enough to do much more than put a bumper sticker on their car.

That's a pretty silly take.

Most people are interested in ending this conflict, but a sovereign nation shouldn't be forced to acquiesce land everytime a nuclear power wags their dick. If you let it happen once it will never end.

Edited by yall
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, yall said:

That's a pretty silly take.

Most people are interested in ending this conflict, but a sovereign nation shouldn't be forced to acquiesce land everytime a nuclear power wags their dick. If you let it happen once it will never end.

You’re correct….most regular people want it to end. Those who can actually do something about it, aren’t nearly as motivated.

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's not an answer. How do you get Putin to withdraw from Ukraine? 

That’s what the discussions need to be about. It’s how all conflicts eventually end. Someone steps in and breaks up the fight. While most seem to believe we’ve yet to reach that point, I think we’re well past it. This has reached a virtual standstill and both fighters have punched themselves out. Just like on the playground it’s time for an adult to step in and separate the two. But instead it looks more like the circle of kids surrounding the combatants are still egging them on, and even throwing them rocks, bottles, and knives. It’s ridiculous!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

How?  Pledge NATO will not extend membership to Ukraine. 

Ukraine was a neutral country and Putin still attacked . NATO preferred Ukraine to be neutral and not provoke Russia , that did not work.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s what the discussions need to be about. It’s how all conflicts eventually end. Someone steps in and breaks up the fight. While most seem to believe we’ve yet to reach that point, I think we’re well past it. This has reached a virtual standstill and both fighters have punched themselves out. Just like on the playground it’s time for an adult to step in and separate the two. But instead it looks more like the circle of kids surrounding the combatants are still egging them on, and even throwing them rocks, bottles, and knives. It’s ridiculous!

The purpose of the UN was to stop wars like this but of course Russia and China have veto power 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ukraine is not punched out. You don’t have any serious solutions just complaints about Biden 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Why? Ukraine is a sovereign nation and do what they want 

That sounds like the negotiating position of a spoiled child.  And I guess that's exactly what Russia is doing too.  What they want, right?   If you consider the only option to a resolution is force and you're not willing to negotiate or yield any bargaining points to the other party in exchange for getting what you want, which is peace, through a negotiated and mutual compromise, then don't ask.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

That sounds like the negotiating position of a spoiled child.  And I guess that's exactly what Russia is doing too.  What they want, right?   If you consider the only option to a resolution is force and you're not willing to negotiate or yield any bargaining points to the other party in exchange for getting what you want, which is peace, through a negotiated and mutual compromise, then don't ask.

Ukraine is a sovereign nation, and should be treated as such. You don’t agree, neither does Putin 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ukraine is not punched out. You don’t have any serious solutions just complaints about Biden 

I didn't mention Biden here. Everything isn't about partisan politics Tibs. Do I think the Biden Administration should've done more leading up to this conflict? Absolutely!  Do I think more can be done to end it now, instead of continuing to stoke the fire....absolutely! 

• Like (+1) 1