Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How fun that was after 911?  Was it a war?  Was it not a war?  Do we pay out insurance claims?  

I'll leave the nuance of what is and isn't a war as defined in a war clause, but I am reasonably certain that one sovereign country launching an invasion against a neighboring sovereign involving all its' military ex navy meets the definition.

That aint 9/11

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'll leave the nuance of what is and isn't a war as defined in a war clause, but I am reasonably certain that one sovereign country launching an invasion against a neighboring sovereign involving all its' military ex navy meets the definition.

That aint 9/11

Tell that to insurance carriers that were on the hook for billions. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Syria was a vicious civil war with al-Assad , Russia and Iran against his opposition . The US had very little involvement with that inhuman war , but of course you knew that. The UN could not stop it because of course  Russia. I had seen vast coverage of that war, I can't explain why your friends were not aware.

You’re kidding me right? 
I dare you to go out on the street right now and see if you can find one person that’s ever heard of let alone seen a picture of Aleppo. And that dare doesn’t count your military ammunitions clique. 😉

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Tell that to insurance carriers that were on the hook for billions. 

Maybe you don't understand what I said.

The Russian invasion of the Ukraine is the very definition of war.

9/11 was not.

You suggested the linkage between the two. I denied it.

9/11 wasn't anything like what the Russians did.

41 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

***** you!  You have no idea what I do or don’t support.  The day we do something to help the homeless guy/gal (often a military vet) who screams at the lamp post then I will give two ***** about Ukrainians.  Can we do both?  Sure but helping Americans should always come first and we ain’t doing squat for the homeless here. 

You are a true member of the Trump cult , no surprise , ***** you!

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Maybe you don't understand what I said.

The Russian invasion of the Ukraine is the very definition of war.

9/11 was not.

You suggested the linkage between the two. I denied it.

9/11 wasn't anything like what the Russians did.

Nope. I understood exactly what you said. I wasn’t clear about what I was saying. Insurance carriers were fighting to not pay our death claims for 911 saying it was an act of war when it, as you said, it wasn’t. 

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

You are a true member of the Trump cult , no surprise , ***** you!

What in the world does what I said about me caring more about Americans suffering than I do about Ukrainians have to do with Trump?  But f that makes me part of some cult sign me up.  Trump Cult…oh Billy Boy, the community moron, is proud of you.  🙄

When this Russian invasion ends, and it will, and you go back to Dancing With The Stars and your non-fat latte while the Ukrainian’s homes are in ruins I want you to think about this conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Nope. I understood exactly what you said. I wasn’t clear about what I was saying. Insurance carriers were fighting to not pay our death claims for 911 saying it was an act of war when it, as you said, it wasn’t. 

I never said anything of that sort.

I am not an insurance adjuster and I am saying that what Russia is doing in the Ukraine is absolutely a war, by any definition.

You brought 9/11 into this, and I have no idea what the definition they use is, but I guarantee that this Russia thing fits it.

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You think that legislation is the federal government ensuring that private companies don't get hacked in 2022? 

I know you're old and can't understand the cyber but I wonder if you even read your link. 

7 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I never said anything of that sort.

I am not an insurance adjuster and I am saying that what Russia is doing in the Ukraine is absolutely a war, by any definition.

You brought 9/11 into this, and I have no idea what the definition they use is, but I guarantee that this Russia thing fits it.

Good lord dude. Let’s recap. You said insurance carriers are indemnified by a war clause which is often true.  I just brought up 911 because of the battle the insurance carriers put up claiming 911 was an act of war.  That is the only reason I brought it up. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, John Adams said:

You think that legislation is the federal government ensuring that private companies don't get hacked in 2022? 

I know you're old and can't understand the cyber but I wonder if you even read your link. 

So you don’t think the Federal Government is working with the private sector on cyber security?

And I see your bigotry is back. Good job. 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

That aint 9/11

I'd hate to be an insurance adjuster in Russia covering anything going on in Ukraine.

Putin won't let anyone call it a war.  It is a "special military operation".  If you claim otherwise, then you go to jail.  Tough spot to be in.

Edited by snafu

50 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good lord dude. Let’s recap. You said insurance carriers are indemnified by a war clause which is often true.  I just brought up 911 because of the battle the insurance carriers put up claiming 911 was an act of war.  That is the only reason I brought it up. 

Not "often true."  Absolutely true.

I don't know what insurance companies view as a "war," but I'm quite certain that any terrorist action has not been identified as a "war," and there have been hundreds.

Ergo 9/11 is a red herring.

17 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I don't know what insurance companies view as a "war," but I'm quite certain that any terrorist action has not been identified as a "war," and there have been hundreds.

I'm pretty sure they started a fund to pay 9/11 folks and by they I mean the government.  It came under a lot of scrutiny over the years because rich people got paid more than less rich people.  There was a calculation made based on how much the people earned and so on.  Ken Feinberg I think was in charge of that fund...  

I suspect that the US determined it was an act of war and that is why the fund was set up instead of insurance paying all out.  How it went with buildings and so on I'm not 100% but I believe the WTC insurance company had to pay for that.

Insurance companies would call everything war, but they don't make that determination, courts do.

I don't care about who determines what a "war" is, or what that definition involves.

I simply responded to an assertion that insurance companies would be involved in this Ukrainian thing, and I pointed out the war clause which indemnifies them.

9/11, and the way it was handled is a completely different subject, and not something I brought up.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

No often true.  Yes almost all carriers have a War Exclusion Clause but not all.  

And 911 is not a red herring.  The attacks of 911 has prompted many carriers to re-write their War Exclusion Clauses to include acts of terrorism.  

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And 911 is not a red herring.  The attacks of 911 has prompted many carriers to re-write their War Exclusion Clauses to include acts of terrorism.  

Post 9/11 issues regarding this is not something I have ever addressed, nor would.