Mac Jones is this years Baker Mayfield. He came into the NFL at his ceiling?

Paul Costa

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t watch much TV. (I only stream stuff now and watching MNF on my phone.) So nationally I really don’t know what the talking heads say unless It makes FB like the “rise of the empire” from NFL Network. 

only comparison I see to Brady is the style the team is doing. That is they are doing the same thing for Mac that they did with Brady in 01. Asking him to only not LOSE the game and let the D win it.  (Not saying he is Brady just that the style of play and the feel the team has to me feels like the old 2001 group.)

How many times are you going to post the same crap written in a slightly different way?  Why aren't you on a Pats* fan site?

Belichick is doing a good job putting his rookie QB in a position to succeed, that is all.

He's not putting everything on his shoulders, nor is he expecting him to do too much. He's removing as much pressure as possible & helping him grow in his system.

I don't think it's too similar to Mayfield honestly. Mayfield started 13 games his rookie season, this will be Jones' 13th start tonight. In that time, Mayfield threw quite a bit more, was less accurate, but put up more yards/TD's/INT's. Stats are def. comparable in some areas though, so it depends on which you favor.

Mayfield's rookie numbers were basically his ceiling, but he also had 4 different head coaches in that time & has been stuck with a fickle organization. On the other hand, Jones has been fortunate enough to go to arguably the most stable organization, an established system & is highly efficient. Even with dink & dunk stuff, 70% comp. isn't easy in the NFL. Mayfield is a lot more cocky & willing to air it out, while Jones is benefiting from a pretty risk-averse approach. 

Once he has Belichick & McDaniels' full trust, I expect to see them open up play calling quite a bit more. Only THEN will we really know how good Mac Jones can be, but you may be right. I just think year 1 in a Belichick/McDaniels system isn't going to bring out your true ceiling.

I almost think we could be the team which dominates Mac Jones and knocks him out for the game.  Might, just be on a freak blitz and we catch him trying to step up.  Have to pressure him, knock him around, and get him out of step and rhythem.  This game right here determines the teams future for playoffs and otherwise.  Most talented rosters we've had in years, most talented since the Levy-era, we have to take care of business and get the ring to knock everyone around now.  The Cheatriots are never humble and always hungry that stuff don't fly.  We need to be aggressive and make sure it's known we can blitz and knock out Mac Jones like we do Tua.

56 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

I almost think we could be the team which dominates Mac Jones and knocks him out for the game.  Might, just be on a freak blitz and we catch him trying to step up.  Have to pressure him, knock him around, and get him out of step and rhythem.  This game right here determines the teams future for playoffs and otherwise.  Most talented rosters we've had in years, most talented since the Levy-era, we have to take care of business and get the ring to knock everyone around now.  The Cheatriots are never humble and always hungry that stuff don't fly.  We need to be aggressive and make sure it's known we can blitz and knock out Mac Jones like we do Tua.

This I agree with. Come right at them and punch them in the mouth, don't let them settle in.

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

This I agree with. Come right at them and punch them in the mouth, don't let them settle in.

Cannot fathom why McDermott practiced indoors at this point.  He's the white flag of surrender on our team.  Just cannot see why he's to much of a guy whose tied to his system.  Right, now his system's getting mashed up and still cannot stop the run.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.