Mac Jones is this years Baker Mayfield. He came into the NFL at his ceiling?

Paul Costa

No sane person expects Mac to be as good as Brady, who is the best quarterback in world history. He is better than anybody who ever tossed a football. It doesn't make me happy to say this but we are here talking about football and it is the truth.

Mac is similar in style to Brady in that he has little foot speed, and doesn't have a Josh Allen type cannon for an arm.  They are both accurate passers, and he also, like Brady, is VERY smart. This "smart" thing is something that his critics either don't know or look past, and I get it. Maybe it is hard to gauge his intellect unless you have watched him play quite a bit and/or listened to his interviews. 

Despite the above, it would be asinine to think that Mac will ever be as good as Brady, or even almost as good. Brady is 90 years old and he won another Super Bowl. I doubt that anyone else will be last as long as Brady and play at even almost his level. Of course, this is jmo.

As far as Mac, I think that it will take some people years (if it ever happens) to admit that other than Trevor Lawerence, Mac looks better than any of the QBs that were drafted this year. Who would you rather have, Fields? Really? The guys on the Jets or 49ers? Sure, OK. :) 

But again, Mac is not, nor ever will be Tom Brady. There may never be another one. :(  OH.....and we are about to defeat him and the Pats.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, who is your favorite Pat?  Pat Benatar maybe?

Pat Paulsen.  Presidential candidate in the 60s, from the Stag Party.

OK, it was just on Laugh-In but he was terrific.

9 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Mac Jones is getting comparisons to Tom Brady. I personally don’t see it. I also think he is playing close to his ceiling. I think Mac Jones is playing similar to Baker Mayfield as a rookie. I said the same thing about him. He played well but thought he reached his ceiling. Time has proven that true. I think Mac Jones play proves that Bilichick is a great coach. He’s done a great job this year. Hate to admit it but it’s true. Hopefully he’s throwing a phone around 10:45 Monday night. 😊

Belichick is a great coach but not a great GM.  He has always struggled to get good WRs.  Occasionally it works out (Randy Moss), and he usually has good slot receivers (Amendola, Edelman), but generally this is the weakest part of the team.  If they get lucky and draft or sign someone really good next year, the real challenge for Jones will be to keep that guy happy by hitting long passes with velocity.  So far I haven't seen anything to suggest that Jones has particularly good arm.  What he does have is accuracy, and a very good awareness of where his guys are and where the other team's guys are.  

By the way, comparing Jones to Brady is silly.  The things Jones does well, Brady does better. and Brady still has a much better arm while drawing Social Security than Jones does as a young guy.

Edited by Utah John

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

As far as Mac, I think that it will take some people years (if it ever happens) to admit that other than Trevor Lawerence, Mac looks better than any of the QBs that were drafted this year. Who would you rather have, Fields? Really? The guys on the Jets or 49ers? Sure, OK. :) 

But again, Mac is not, nor ever will be Tom Brady. There may never be another one. :(  OH.....and we are about to defeat him and the Pats.

I think the comparison to Fields and Wilson in particular is very premature. I think Mac would likely be struggling in both of those situations too. Chicago appear to have 5 crash dummies masquerading as an offensive line and the Jets are a hot mess. He is a very specific fit in a very specific scheme. Going to New England was absolutely perfect for him. His skill set marries up exactly with what they want to do. I don't think Mac would look good in either of those other two situations right now. 

Not a knock on Mac at all. He is exactly who he is and he fits everything New England looks for in a Quarterback. I am not at all persuaded as some in this thread seem to be that there is a reckoning coming for him some time soon where he turns into a pumpkin. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

• Paul Costa changed the title to Mac Jones is this years Baker Mayfield. He came into the NFL at his ceiling?
2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Pat Paulsen.  Presidential candidate in the 60s, from the Stag Party.

OK, it was just on Laugh-In but he was terrific.

Belichick is a great coach but not a great GM.  He has always struggled to get good WRs.  Occasionally it works out (Randy Moss), and he usually has good slot receivers (Amendola, Edelman), but generally this is the weakest part of the team.  If they get lucky and draft or sign someone really good next year, the real challenge for Jones will be to keep that guy happy by hitting long passes with velocity.  So far I haven't seen anything to suggest that Jones has particularly good arm.  What he does have is accuracy, and a very good awareness of where his guys are and where the other team's guys are.  

By the way, comparing Jones to Brady is silly.  The things Jones does well, Brady does better. and Brady still has a much better arm while drawing Social Security than Jones does as a young guy.

I think the comparison to Brady is the 2001 version of Brady, not the 2021 version.   As far as WR's, I cannot argue the Pats have a history of having great WR's, they don't.  But they also don't need them to win ( 9 Super bowl appearances and 6 wins).  Their philosophy does not require great WR's.  But they typically have a bunch of check down options to RB's, TE's and a slot WR.    There are many ways to build a winning team.

Welker and Edelman will get HOF consideration and those guys were homegrown.

Edited by mattynh

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with his arm strength. He'll never be Mahomes or Allen but his arm isn't so bad that'll it'll prevent him from having NFL success. It's adequate for the NFL which is what basically every scout said before he was drafted. His arm strength is comparable to Drew Brees coming out of college.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I think the comparison to Brady is the 2001 version of Brady, not the 2021 version.   As far as WR's, I cannot argue the Pats have a history of having great WR's, they don't.  But they also don't need them to win ( 9 Super bowl appearances and 6 wins).  Their philosophy does not require great WR's.  But they typically have a bunch of check down options to RB's, TE's and a slot WR.    There are many ways to build a winning team.

Welker and Edelman will get HOF consideration and those guys were homegrown.

Welker was not home grown. New England was his third team and they traded a second round pick for him after his 3rd season. 

12 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Mac Jones is getting comparisons to Tom Brady. I personally don’t see it. I also think he is playing close to his ceiling. I think Mac Jones is playing similar to Baker Mayfield as a rookie. I said the same thing about him. He played well but thought he reached his ceiling. Time has proven that true. I think Mac Jones play proves that Bilichick is a great coach. He’s done a great job this year. Hate to admit it but it’s true. Hopefully he’s throwing a phone around 10:45 Monday night. 😊

This is the kind of thing they said about young tom Brady 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Belichek made Matt Castle look like a good QB.... Matt... Castle...

Belicheks system is very QB friendly. He knows how to run an offense that doesn't put all the pressure on the QB. Its very similar to when Brady took over. He wasn't asked to carry the team, just manage the game and protect the ball. That system groomed Brady to what he is. Will Jones mature into a great QB? Who knows? But time will tell

He finds offensive lineman that can block well.  That's the secret..

13 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Just think...after Monday it well be all Tom Brady (and many Patriot talking points) 

If the pats win, we won’t hear much about brady for a few days imo.  It’ll be pat/mac threads galore. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Omg 

yet

another

pats

thread 

It is starting to sound like sour grapes now, and it does illustrate the effect the Pats have on our psyche. I include myself in that. So many years of beat downs have really screwed up our ability to look at them logically. I mean you just know the first flag that gets thrown against us on Monday night, even if it's legit, we'll all be screaming about Kraft paying off the refs, or the NFL wanting to see the Pats in the SB against Brady.

And just typing that I've convinced myself that it's actually true and now I hate the Pats even more. See what I mean? 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If the Pats win I won't even bother coming in here. The trolls will run the place for a week.

Same. I’ll lurk and check for info on the bucs, but will hopefully refrain from the reindeer games.  Can’t let allow them to beat us in our house on MNF for the division lead.  

• Like (+1) 1

You always find out a player in his second and third year as a starter because the league now has enough tape on him to pick up his tendencies. Jones has definitely been fortunate he doesn’t really have to do much and his team hasn’t in any game he’s played fallen behind to the point where they have to throw every down. 

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Welker was not home grown. New England was his third team and they traded a second round pick for him after his 3rd season. 

Where did he become successful as a WR?  That was my point, the Pats developed him.  I am aware he did not come into the league with the Patriots.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the comparison to Fields and Wilson in particular is very premature. I think Mac would likely be struggling in both of those situations too. Chicago appear to have 5 crash dummies masquerading as an offensive line and the Jets are a hot mess. He is a very specific fit in a very specific scheme. Going to New England was absolutely perfect for him. His skill set marries up exactly with what they want to do. I don't think Mac would look good in either of those other two situations right now. 

Not a knock on Mac at all. He is exactly who he is and he fits everything New England looks for in a Quarterback. I am not at all persuaded as some in this thread seem to be that there is a reckoning coming for him some time soon where he turns into a pumpkin. 

I went out for a beer with an old friend of mine last night who is from Boston and a fanatical Pats fan (his dad has had season tickets for over 40 years). His comp for Mac Jones was Phil Simms, and that made a ton of sense to me.

• Like (+1) 3

Geez Louise.  Mac Jones is Mac Jones.  He isn't Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Baker Mayfield (or Andy Dalton or Trent Edwards or any other unathletic pocket passer who has entered the league over the past 20 years).  

I will say this, though, over the past 10-15 years, the best quarterbacks who have entered the league have all had +physical traits that set them apart from their peers - be it speed/escapability, extraordinary size/strength, or a Howitzer for an arm.  The best quarterbacks (outside of Brady) usually have at least two of these traits (Rodgers, Mahomes, etc.) combined with good-to-excellent accuracy.  Jones really only has his brain and an accurate arm, so I think it's an uphill climb for him to become an "elite" player at the position, but maybe he'll turn out to be the one-in-a-million exception like you know who.

Edited by TheBrownBear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.