Should NFL refs start being suspended for idiotic calls?

Beast

There is an evaluation process, I might add this is 8 or 9 years ago I knew an NFL official. 

They are graded after every game for penalties they called and whether they were accurate, whether they missed a play they shouldn’t have or judgement calls that they should or shouldn’t call. 

For an example he showed me a play that his crew threw a flag on that was a legit holding penalty by a WR but it was away from the play. I believe it was a run play to the left and a WR on the right was holding. The ref ended up getting docked because the NFL said he shouldn’t have thrown it because it didn’t directly affect the play

10 hours ago, Beast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/nfl/kyler-murray-involved-in-the-nfls-latest-joke-of-a-roughing-the-passer-penalty/amp/

I get wanting to protect QB's but calls like this bring questions to the games integrity, IMO.

Any 15 yard plus penalty should be reviewed. Let the ref throw the flag but someone outside of the crew should make the final determination. I hate seeing games get held up any longer than they need to be but is that worse than some of these ticky-tack calls on the QB as well as some PI calls?

I'm sure this debate will go on forever but that call yesterday was ridiculous. Imagine that occuring during the last drive of a playoff game? Yikes.

I know in Australia, AFL umps are assessed, they have their own Umpire Dept. & umpire Coaches. Team Coaches will direct calls to them for clarity. It ends up that the better umpires coach finals as reward. I can’t recall an umpire being ‘dropped’, would have to look that up.

They do internal reviews of all refs. The NFL has quality control for refs as do all sports leagues. The refs with the lowest percentage of bad calls tend to get the better assignments. 

I know people who work for the NBA in referee operations which have a detailed process for their referee performance reviews. It’s just that refereeing a sport is such a hugely subjective thing that no matter what some people won’t be happy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.