Where are they now? : Ben Wilkerson

That perception is gonna change in a hurry...Bengals will be SB contenders VERY soon

320740[/snapback]

I concur. The Bengals are another team with management that gets it.

Add San Diego to that mix, too.

Unfortunately, these are all teams in direct competition with the Bills for a playoff spot.

That perception is gonna change in a hurry...Bengals will be SB contenders VERY soon

320740[/snapback]

As long as the Bengals can't figure out how to beat the Steelers or the Ravens,

they will find it hard to make the playoffs...Just like the bills having to figure

out a way to beat the Patriots and the Jets.

Unfortunately, these are all teams in direct competition with the Bills for a playoff spot.

320780[/snapback]

Agreed about SD, if they fix their QB issues b/c it's been proven many times before that their current arrangement can't co-exist for long. After Butler, Smith has now fully righted the ship. They're going to dominate the AFC West for the next 5 years.

But to say that Mike Brown "gets it"? Bengals don't even have a scouting department. They're one of those teams where every time they do OK and they're expected to take a step forward the next season, they take four steps back. I'm not convinced Marvin Lewis can beat the vortex.

320780[/snapback]

Don't forget about Baltimore. They helped themselves a lot in this draft and with the addition of Mason.

Pats, Jets, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, Jags, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Broncos, Kansas City are the 12 teams that will be fighting it out for the 6 playoff spots in the AFC. The Bills may finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs, the AFC is MUCH better than it was last year on a team by team basis.

SCARY!!!

Agreed about SD, if they fix their QB issues b/c it's been proven many times before that their current arrangement can't co-exist for long. After Butler, Smith has now fully righted the ship. They're going to dominate the AFC West for the next 5 years.

But to say that Mike Brown "gets it"? Bengals don't even have a scouting department. They're one of those teams where every time they do OK and they're expected to take a step forward the next season, they take four steps back. I'm not convinced Marvin Lewis can beat the vortex.

320813[/snapback]

Your info is several years old re scouting. Considering last year, that they lost their starting linebacker, his replacement, the starting SS, WR Warrick after a few games, Center Rich Brabham for several games, CB O'Neal for several games, Palmer for the last three games - all told, 18 players on IR at season's end - 8 and 8 with a virtual rookie QB wasn't all that bad.

The Great Blue report also said that two of the top free agents, Michigan safety Ernest Shazor and Hawaii quarterback Jimmy Chang, signed with the Arizona Cardinals

:(

321232[/snapback]

Yeah. I don't think a lot of Chang, but I was surprised about Shazor going undrafted. I know he has a slow combine time, but IIRC he's a good hitter. Maybe there's something else - dunno. another big hitting safety, Jamal Brimmer, dropped off the map long before the draft.

I wonder if it is somehow connected to the NE - induced chuck rule enforcement of last season. The B'gals coach Lewis has intimated several times that with the way things are in the pass-happy NFL, he wants players at both spots who are prototypical free safties.