Texas and Oklahoma close to joining SEC (update - now officially joined)

YoloinOhio

On 8/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, Bill from NYC said:

I am shocked that Dabo would even consider coming to the SEC @YoloinOhio.

For example, they open against Georgia (yes, they actually open against a good team) this season. Even if they lose, a case can be made that they will only play teams that range from horrid to so-so for the remainder of the season.  We will find out alot about Miami on 9/4, no?

In other words, Clemson is seemingly a lock for even a 4 team playoff before the season even starts. In the SEC they will actually have to play against good football teams!!! 

I suppose that cash is king, which you alluded to in another post. 

If this happens we will get a clearer picture of just how good Dabo is imo. I am not saying that Dabo isn't good or possibly even great. I AM saying that he never had to play a schedule like Alabama does and for that matter, Ohio State.

Jmo.

The ACC isn't as bad as they usually are this year, obviously Clemson, but they also have Miami, UNC( who is predicted top 10) also have some cross over games with Notre Dame.  But then I just took a look at there schedule and man your not kidding, after the Georgia game it is easy street for Dabo and the boys.  They miss all three of those teams.  I will go as far as to say if they lose to georgia, that should be an elimination game for them due to their poor schedule the rest of the season.  Why schedule South Carolina St second week of the season?  

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Supposedly Clemson and FSU are both denying this. The SEC also reportedly doesn’t want them. Maybe the Big Ten will go after them. Ohio state already sees Clemson as a rival, could work out. 

That would be so weird.

7 hours ago, Gordio said:

Why on earth would the power 4 conferences want to share revenue with teams like toledo and louis monroe.  This will never happen.  Schools like that and they are a lot of them out there bring absolutely nothing to the table.  

Easy. Power and control. Going to this model allows the Conferences to get rid of the NCAA.

They can easily sign the small teams to deals similar to what they already have since those small teams arent going to have much choice. Join the new conference, or get left out of college football completely.

11 hours ago, Gordio said:

The ACC isn't as bad as they usually are this year, obviously Clemson, but they also have Miami, UNC( who is predicted top 10) also have some cross over games with Notre Dame.  But then I just took a look at there schedule and man your not kidding, after the Georgia game it is easy street for Dabo and the boys.  They miss all three of those teams.  I will go as far as to say if they lose to georgia, that should be an elimination game for them due to their poor schedule the rest of the season.  Why schedule South Carolina St second week of the season?  

That's the way it's always been.

The power conference teams always schedule games against weaker opponents early in the season.

This is not unique to Clemson.

Alabama starts the season against Miami, FL., then in the second week they have a game against Mercer. They also have games against Southern Mississippi & New Mexico State.

Ohio State starts off against Minnesota & Oregon, then after that they have games against Tulsa & Akron.

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That's the way it's always been.

The power conference teams always schedule games against weaker opponents early in the season.

This is not unique to Clemson.

Alabama starts the season against Miami, FL., then in the second week they have a game against Mercer. They also have games against Southern Mississippi & New Mexico State.

Ohio State starts off against Minnesota & Oregon, then after that they have games against Tulsa & Akron.

Tulsa and Akron are much different than SCST imo.  They are D-1 teams.  & yes the SEC for years gives their teams a "bye week" the week before the Thanksgiving weekend and schedules FCS teams.  I guess my point was, Clemson knowing there schedule sucks this year should of bought that game against SCst out and played someone legit.  Maybe easier said than done, but I stand by saying if that Georgia game should be a knockout game for Clemson if they lose given the rest of their schedule.  Now if they had on the schedule UNC/Notre Dame Miami I would feel much differently.  

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Easy. Power and control. Going to this model allows the Conferences to get rid of the NCAA.

They can easily sign the small teams to deals similar to what they already have since those small teams arent going to have much choice. Join the new conference, or get left out of college football completely.

Yeah your probably right, what do you do for basketball than with the NCAA Tournament?  Does that go away because contrary to what people believe that college football drives the engine for funding of college athletics, the most money made all year is having the NCAA Tournament.  

6 hours ago, Gordio said:

Tulsa and Akron are much different than SCST imo.  They are D-1 teams.  & yes the SEC for years gives their teams a "bye week" the week before the Thanksgiving weekend and schedules FCS teams.  I guess my point was, Clemson knowing there schedule sucks this year should of bought that game against SCst out and played someone legit.  Maybe easier said than done, but I stand by saying if that Georgia game should be a knockout game for Clemson if they lose given the rest of their schedule.  Now if they had on the schedule UNC/Notre Dame Miami I would feel much differently.  

Traditionally, Clemson plays a game against Furman every year and early in the season. Furman is another school in South Carolina. So it might just be a situation where the big school and small school in the same state have a deal to do this every year.

Furman probably chose not to play Clemson this year, thus South Carolina State steps in.

I liken it to how Penn State would always play Temple early in the year. Yes, Temple is a mid-major, but Penn State would always wipe them out. Temple has beaten Penn State just once, I believe?

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not an Ohio State guy... but to their credit, it is entirely possible to step in poop against Tulsa and Akron (well, maybe not the current state of Akron, but MAC teams in general)

South Carolina St and Mercer?  no.

Fair enough. Normally the Big 10 does not schedule 1-AA teams as their "cupcake" opponents and will instead play mid-major schools. There are a lot of games between the Big 10 & Mid-American.

This more of an issue with teams in the south, be they from the SEC or ACC. They are notorious for doing this.

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Traditionally, Clemson plays a game against Furman every year and early in the season. Furman is another school in South Carolina. So it might just be a situation where the big school and small school in the same state have a deal to do this every year.

Furman probably chose not to play Clemson this year, thus South Carolina State steps in.

I liken it to how Penn State would always play Temple early in the year. Yes, Temple is a mid-major, but Penn State would always wipe them out. Temple has beaten Penn State just once, I believe?

Fair enough. Normally the Big 10 does not schedule 1-AA teams as their "cupcake" opponents and will instead play mid-major schools. There are a lot of games between the Big 10 & Mid-American.

This more of an issue with teams in the south, be they from the SEC or ACC. They are notorious for doing this.

Yeah they probably do have deal since going to death valley nets furman/sc st over a million dollars.  I love the story a few years ago when LSU had Troy come to town.  It was there homecoming(LSU) & somehow Troy beat them.  Troy athletic department later that evening tweeted out "LSU, thanks for having us over for homecoming, we had a blast."  Got to love it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Im not an Ohio State guy... but to their credit, it is entirely possible to step in poop against Tulsa and Akron (well, maybe not the current state of Akron, but MAC teams in general)

What lots of fans don't grasp is that many teams refuse to play Alabama. Saban has said this at numerous press conferences. Their schedule this season is a tough one. Clemson plays Georgia and a bunch of weak sisters.

9 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

What lots of fans don't grasp is that many teams refuse to play Alabama. Saban has said this at numerous press conferences. Their schedule this season is a tough one. Clemson plays Georgia and a bunch of weak sisters.

Does he say why they refuse to play them? Usually the Group of 5/ MAC level teams don’t expect to win vs the big programs but they love the payout 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, Gordio said:

Clemson glides into the playoffs healthy from their easy schedule. Not only that, they give their young second stringers more playing time because they can with a 70-0 lead. 

As far as Miami and UNC, we will have to wait and see. Once again, who do they play? How would they fare against teams like Ole Miss, Miss. St, Auburn, LSU, Fla., or Alabama? My guess is not so well.

I truly believe that the media talks up ACC teams to generate interest, and that they really know that it is a one team conference.

As always, jmo.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Does he say why they refuse to play them? Usually the Group of 5/ MAC level teams don’t expect to win vs the big programs but they love the payout 

I could be wrong Yolo but I was under the impression that he was talking more about major teams. 

I am also under the impression that the line of prominent programs wanting to play against the Crimson Tide (and for that matter Ohio State) is not very long.

Once again, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Clemson glides into the playoffs healthy from their easy schedule. Not only that, they give their young second stringers more playing time because they can with a 70-0 lead. 

As far as Miami and UNC, we will have to wait and see. Once again, who do they play? How would they fare against teams like Ole Miss, Miss. St, Auburn, LSU, Fla., or Alabama? My guess is not so well.

I truly believe that the media talks up ACC teams to generate interest, and that they really know that it is a one team conference.

As always, jmo.

I could be wrong Yolo but I was under the impression that he was talking more about major teams. 

I am also under the impression that the line of prominent programs wanting to play against the Crimson Tide (and for that matter Ohio State) is not very long.

Once again, jmo.

Oh I thought they were referring to the teams in between … above the Mercers of the world but along the lines of UB

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, I'm sure that Saban is begging to have any combination of Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Wisconsin, & Iowa to play Alabama on a regular yearly basis.

Is he also more than willing to have these games at hostile venues and not just the neutral sites as well?

Saban can suck it.

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yeah, I'm sure that Saban is begging to have any combination of Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Wisconsin, & Iowa to play Alabama on a regular yearly basis.

Is he also more than willing to have these games at hostile venues and not just the neutral sites as well?

Saban can suck it.

Jealousy and bitterness will tear you apart. 

ROLL TIDE #18!!!!!

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

As always, jmo.

Once again, jmo.

Well we will find out about Miami first week.   They are a 17 point dog right now.  Unc I think they are legit.  They got #1 player in the draft next spring in their qb Howell.  Not sure how they would do against the real big boys(Bama/OSU/Clemson) but they would hold their own in the SEC and are better than Ole/Miss ST and even Auburn.  BTW, it is a give an take with the SEC, why doesnt Saban play a true road game in one of these opening games?  It is always neutral field.  A crazy stat I read, I think LSU was supposed to play Whisky at Camp Randal last season and they said it was the first time in like 25 years that an SEC would of played a true non conference road game north of the Mason Dixon line.  To Auburn's credit they are going to Happy Valley third week of the season.  You would never see Saban schedule a game like that.  Also Saban knows he is in a no lose situation opening week.  They are always starting the season top 3.  Win  and they have stranglehold on that spot, lose and they got the rest of the year to recover.  

They make a fortune on these openers at Georgia and Dallas. Not all of the money goes to football either. I read somewhere that they are now ranked 2nd academically in the SEC. They are up in these parts handing out academic scholarships. It is no longer unusual to see kids with t-shirts that say "Roll Tide."

Btw, they signed on to play Oklahoma State home and away.

https://okstate.com/news/2021/6/8/osu-alabama-to-play-football-home-and-home-series.aspx

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

LOL.

Because Tulsa and Akron are such traditional FB powerhouses.

And somehow thinking the MAC schools are kind of a big deal.

This sounds like the idiots from UCF trying to claim they play in a "Power 6" conference.

As somebody up thread has pointed out, there are 130 FBS schools playing football.

In my opinion, that's about 90-100 too many teams.

Schools playing at the FBS level does not automatically equate them to being "better".

21 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Ask a Michigan person about App St in 2007.

15 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Saban has repeatedly stated through out the years he prefers to play against schools like Penn State, USC, etc ....

Yes. Repeatedly. Through out the years.

Saban can suck it.

I take it you have not enjoyed the last 2 match ups between Michigan and Bama?

I get it.

When your team is unable to beat your biggest rival (how many years now?), and you are powerless to do anything about it, you have to direct that anger somewhere.

It's all good.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, May Day 10 said:

UB to the SEC next?

Really though, I dont like this.  I dont like change.  I enjoy the distinct conferences with their own flavors...

It figures we finally get the NCAA video game again and the structure of college football is going to be ruined

Wouldn't mind a move to the ACC for UB. 

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jealousy and bitterness will tear you apart. 

ROLL TIDE #18!!!!!

Go ahead and deny it.

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

Saban has repeatedly stated through out the years he prefers to play against schools like Penn State, USC, etc ....

Does he want to play two or three of them a year?

Yes. Repeatedly. Through out the years.

Yes, one per year.

I take it you have not enjoyed the last 2 match ups between Michigan and Bama?

I get it.

When your team is unable to beat your biggest rival (how many years now?), and you are powerless to do anything about it, you have to direct that anger somewhere.

Jocularity, Jocularity.

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

It's all good.

Sure it is. GO BILLS!!! It was fun when Saban was the Dolphins coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.