ESPN Future Power Ranking Released Today 7/19

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen and Mahomes are in a different class at this point…. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Mayfield improve this season.

Just my opinion, obviously, but I think Baker's already pretty close to (or at) his ceiling.

41 minutes ago, eball said:

Just my opinion, obviously, but I think Baker's already pretty close to (or at) his ceiling.

Yea I don't think he is at it because he can still be more efficient but be is close in terms of there not being a huge well of untapped physical potential. 

This made me think a bit about how you'd rank in categories of 1. Quarterback; 2. High end non-QB talent; 3. Overall roster depth; 4. Coaching (HC, DC, OC); 5. Front Office. 

My thinking is on the Bills they would be in the top 5 of at least 4 of those of those 5 categories with the one where they might just be on the outside of that top 5 looking in being high end non-QB talent. I think they might be more in that 6-10 range there. I think KC would probably be 4 from 5 too with maybe overall roster depth letting them down and Tampa possibly front office (I am not the biggest Jason Licht guy going) letting them down. I thought about coaching too because not sure BA is a top 5 Head Coach but Todd Bowles might be the best DC in football and that plays in as well... maybe they'd still be just outside the top 5. The next closest I could get to a team you'd consider in each category for the top 5 is Seattle but their coaching staff beyond Pete is pretty meh and depth lacking in some spots. 

Edited by GunnerBill

19 hours ago, eball said:

If there is a flaw in these rankings I see it in how the Bills' are ranked in coaching and the draft.  7th best coached team...really?  They not only have very good coaching, they also have continuity.  I can't name 6 teams with better coaching.  I get them putting the Pats*** at #1 for Belichick but after that...

I bet they have NE, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, New Orleans, and two of these last three: Green Bay, San Francisco, or Tampa Bay ranked ahead of us in coaching. Not that I agree, but it is what I suspect.

3 hours ago, chongli said:

I bet they have NE, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, New Orleans, and two of these last three: Green Bay, San Francisco, or Tampa Bay ranked ahead of us in coaching. Not that I agree, but it is what I suspect.

So it depends what you are ranking as well.... I think top 4 Head Coaches - Belichick, Harbaugh, Reid and Peyton - you would get a pretty strong consensus on. They to me are the top 4 Head Coaches in the league. I have said before that I would make a strong argument for McDermott at #5 but I suppose you can make an argument for the likes of Carroll, Tomlin and Arians who have won Superbowls. Similarly people could argue for Shanny and McVay who are in the younger generation but have made the Superbowl whereas McDermott has only made the AFCCG. I have him #5 but I think it is the top 4 guys, then a group of 6 - three guys who have a ring to prove it and three younger guys who have got very close. People could make legitimate cases.

I think if you are talking about a big 3 though - Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator and Offensive coordinator.... then the only teams I put in that conversation are the Chiefs - Reid, Spags and Bienemy and the Ravens - Harbaugh, Wink and Roman. Maybe Tampa too but it is hard to judge Byron Leftwich on his work with Tom Brady. Arians and Bowles (as a DC) are legit. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:03 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

Why they're here: Buffalo has been a clinic in roster building that I believe teams in all sports should admire. GM Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott laid the foundation of their culture while meticulously gathering playmakers. Their conviction on a raw but massively talented quarterback in Josh Allen in the 2018 draft paid off, with Allen's rise matched by a roster littered with talent. -- Yates

Biggest worry: The 2021 draft selections on the defensive line of Greg Rousseau and Boogie Basham have to be big hits for Beane and McDermott if they want to knock the Chiefs off the AFC throne. Defensive end Mario Addison tied for the team lead with just five sacks in 2020 but is 33 years old and will be an unrestricted free agent in 2022. Jerry Hughes, 32, was second with 4.5 sacks and is also a pending free agent. -- Riddick

What could change for the better: Buffalo's hit level on free agents and high draft picks bodes well for the future under Beane. Five of the top free-agent signings or trades in recent years -- Stefon Diggs, Cole Beasley, Daryl Williams, Jordan Poyer and Mitch Morse -- are key contributors. Top picks from 2017, Tre'Davious White and Dion Dawkins, are locked up long term, and 2018 high picks Allen and Tremaine Edmunds probably will be shortly. Buffalo's roster is in trusted hands. -- Fowler

Stat to know: Buffalo led the league last season in first-down dropback rate (67%, excluding garbage time), and it paid off, as they ranked second in offensive efficiency. Assuming they keep it up, that aggression will continue to pay dividends. -- Walder

Buffalo’s top rated 3rd down efficiency was the biggest factor for them going 13-3. I love the aggressiveness of Josh Allen because even on 3rd and 20 I feel confident that he can pick up the first down. I don’t see this changing much going into next season. We are locked in at all key positions. The Bills are on the rise. Super Bowl or bust.

• Like (+1) 1