Jump to content

Practice Squad Players Eligibility, Contracts, & Cap How Does it All Work ?


T master
 Share

Recommended Posts

I hope you all can excuse my ignorants about this subject but i'm not as informed as i need to be but i know there are many fans here that are so here it goes .

 

When a player is drafted or picked up off of waivers and they sign a contract with the Bills and get put on the practice squad does that contract go against the over all cap numbers for the season or is that N/A and just a contract like the coaches that doesn't count ?

 

Also how long is a player eligible to stay on the practice squad before they have to be either brought up to the active roster, traded or cut from the team all together .

 

The Bills have a lot of rookie players that seem as they could have a really good NFL career yet it doesn't look as if they will be able to make the final roster this year but possibly have a really good future ahead of them in the NFL .

 

Especially when it comes to the rookies on the O line I know they can't or won't keep them all but was just wondering how long they may be able to keep them around or even some of the younger players that have a year or so accrued in the NFL .

 

I do know that players can be signed off the PS to another team and that there is no protection correct ? 

 

Seeing as the rest of the NFL has noticed just what Beane and company have Beane doing 😅 here in B/Lo that some of those players will probably get pilfered off the PS this year but i just don't know how all that works so i ask those of you that are more informed than I am .

 

Thanks for the info .

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me get Dave Ziegler of the Patriots on the phone. If there is a way to cheat the rules then lie he can certainly help us with this thread.

 

 

 

 

..

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure someone will give you a more complete answer, but just know only the top 51 contracts (the 51 most expensive contracts) and counted toward the cap. All the other players (including PS and camp fodder) do not count. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are claimed off waivers you go to the active squad for a period. This is why there are not a ton of claims. After that period you can go the PS. No time limit on PS before you need to be activated. The highest 51 (or 53 maybe at this point) contracts count against cap. So not most practice players. Bills tend to keep a lot rookies so I only think Anderson will get cut. Hope that starts to answer your questions. It can get more complicated quick. There is not really any protection. Last year you could protect 4 for most of the week but they would still be exposed. Overall not a lot of players are claimed because they need to be on the 53 after being claimed. The positions that are claimed the most are OL and DL which is why we roll with so many

Edited by YattaOkasan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

By the time this thread is over, it will be worse than the rules of fizzbin.

 

image.gif.5a88465c39010475213bee83e895b450.gif


what Ridge, Do you want a piece of the action?

 

 

 

I’m an unapolgetic fan of the silliness on Star Trek.  My brother and I used to watch on Ch. 29 as a kid (reruns of course as not that old)

 

So Ridge, is this in the book?  
 

What book?  The book.  Everything is in the book, you know what I mean.

 

OP,  do a basic search on PS rules as I sent out months ago and you’ll find on google. Back to 12 guys from pandemic 16, two get to be vets which is née from pandemic, and the other rules apply.  Next year 14 guys.  There are too many things to write not to get into Fizzben.  I’ll just copy this for you. Long read except on Tuesday or at night.  Watch the clip and you’ll get it.

 

https://coachingkidz.com/nfl-practice-squad-salary/

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm sure someone will give you a more complete answer, but just know only the top 51 contracts (the 51 most expensive contracts) and counted toward the cap. All the other players (including PS and camp fodder) do not count. 

 

7 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

If you are claimed off waivers you go to the active squad for a period. This is why there are not a ton of claims. After that period you can go the PS. No time limit on PS before you need to be activated. The highest 51 (or 53 maybe at this point) contracts count against cap. So not most practice players. Bills tend to keep a lot rookies so I only think Anderson will get cut. Hope that starts to answer your questions. It can get more complicated quick. There is not really any protection. Last year you could protect 4 for most of the week but they would still be exposed. Overall not a lot of players are claimed because they need to be on the 53 after being claimed. The positions that are claimed the most are OL and DL which is why we roll with so many

 

9 hours ago, T master said:

I hope you all can excuse my ignorants about this subject but i'm not as informed as i need to be but i know there are many fans here that are so here it goes .

 

When a player is drafted or picked up off of waivers and they sign a contract with the Bills and get put on the practice squad does that contract go against the over all cap numbers for the season or is that N/A and just a contract like the coaches that doesn't count ?

 

Also how long is a player eligible to stay on the practice squad before they have to be either brought up to the active roster, traded or cut from the team all together .

 

The Bills have a lot of rookie players that seem as they could have a really good NFL career yet it doesn't look as if they will be able to make the final roster this year but possibly have a really good future ahead of them in the NFL .

 

Especially when it comes to the rookies on the O line I know they can't or won't keep them all but was just wondering how long they may be able to keep them around or even some of the younger players that have a year or so accrued in the NFL .

 

I do know that players can be signed off the PS to another team and that there is no protection correct ? 

 

Seeing as the rest of the NFL has noticed just what Beane and company have Beane doing 😅 here in B/Lo that some of those players will probably get pilfered off the PS this year but i just don't know how all that works so i ask those of you that are more informed than I am .

 

Thanks for the info .

 

I thought the "top 51 clause" is only through training camp, once the final roster is selected all 53 count??

 

For someone to make the PS believe they'd have first been waived/cut so they no longer have a contract.  The players on PS are then paid a set salary, same for all teams.  Whether that counts towards the cap or not not sure, probably doesn't matter as all teams would have the same amount of $$ so would be a wash.

 

Think the league has not yet announced whether they are going to go with last years PS rules which were more liberal due to Covid or going back to the 2019 rules.  If I recall they added more slots and also allowed players with more prior years playing time?

 

Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 or 3 Bills slip on a banana peel or something and end up on season ending IR, can see that happening with one of their tackles they drafted and maybe a D-lineman or two.  Always find it interesting how these guys are healthy enough to play in the pre-season games, but then all of a sudden a week before final cut downs they are hurt.  I'm sure they are legit, but also think he'd have played hurt all year if they needed the player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

 

 

I thought the "top 51 clause" is only through training camp, once the final roster is selected all 53 count??

 

For someone to make the PS believe they'd have first been waived/cut so they no longer have a contract.  The players on PS are then paid a set salary, same for all teams.  Whether that counts towards the cap or not not sure, probably doesn't matter as all teams would have the same amount of $$ so would be a wash.

 

Think the league has not yet announced whether they are going to go with last years PS rules which were more liberal due to Covid or going back to the 2019 rules.  If I recall they added more slots and also allowed players with more prior years playing time?

 

Wouldn't be shocked to see 2 or 3 Bills slip on a banana peel or something and end up on season ending IR, can see that happening with one of their tackles they drafted and maybe a D-lineman or two.  Always find it interesting how these guys are healthy enough to play in the pre-season games, but then all of a sudden a week before final cut downs they are hurt.  I'm sure they are legit, but also think he'd have played hurt all year if they needed the player.

Good start here. It's top 51 through training camp right up until the final Tuesday before the regular season starts. During that time there is no practice squad. All players count towards the 90 player limit.

 

There are limits to how long players can be on the practice squad, but it's generally a couple years so it's not like a few weeks decision thing for the most part. And last year (and still possibly this year) the PS rules have been expanded to allow more flexibility through the COVID times. At the end of the year PS contracts expire and teams resign their players to regular NFL, usually minimum contracts through training camp. This is why if you look at a salary cap page right now guys like Christian Wade (aren't we about due for a new CW thread? LOL) are technically under NFL contract for the minimum $660,000.

 

Correct, a player must be waived and pass through waivers unclaimed before he can be signed to a practice squad. That's why practice squads aren't established until after the 53 cutdown date. There is a minimum salary for practice squad players, and most players are signed to it. And, with a few limitations, PS players can sign to another team's regular roster (if doing so the new team must keep them on the regular 53 for a 3 week minimum). The PS player's team can't stop the player from signing to a new team's 53, but they are allowed to offer the player the same deal (or better) and sign them to their own 53 if the player wishes (same 3 week minimum applies normally, relaxed last year for COVID reasons). For this reason, PS players CAN be paid any amount. subsequently they do count against the salary cap.

 

On the final 53 cut down date basically all players under contract, including PS and IR, all count against the cap. Certain players with commish exemptions or non-football injuries, etc. do not, but mostly they all do.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Good start here. It's top 51 through training camp right up until the final Tuesday before the regular season starts. During that time there is no practice squad. All players count towards the 90 player limit.

 

There are limits to how long players can be on the practice squad, but it's generally a couple years so it's not like a few weeks decision thing for the most part. And last year (and still possibly this year) the PS rules have been expanded to allow more flexibility through the COVID times. At the end of the year PS contracts expire and teams resign their players to regular NFL, usually minimum contracts through training camp. This is why if you look at a salary cap page right now guys like Christian Wade (aren't we about due for a new CW thread? LOL) are technically under NFL contract for the minimum $660,000.

 

Correct, a player must be waived and pass through waivers unclaimed before he can be signed to a practice squad. That's why practice squads aren't established until after the 53 cutdown date. There is a minimum salary for practice squad players, and most players are signed to it. And, with a few limitations, PS players can sign to another team's regular roster (if doing so the new team must keep them on the regular 53 for a 3 week minimum). The PS player's team can't stop the player from signing to a new team's 53, but they are allowed to offer the player the same deal (or better) and sign them to their own 53 if the player wishes (same 3 week minimum applies normally, relaxed last year for COVID reasons). For this reason, PS players CAN be paid any amount. subsequently they do count against the salary cap.

 

On the final 53 cut down date basically all players under contract, including PS and IR, all count against the cap. Certain players with commish exemptions or non-football injuries, etc. do not, but mostly they all do.

your wisdom in these matters is legendary its always great to read you friend. attn 2BD trust me this guy has the skinny and knows his stuff. #fangirl 😜

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Good start here. It's top 51 through training camp right up until the final Tuesday before the regular season starts. During that time there is no practice squad. All players count towards the 90 player limit.

 

There are limits to how long players can be on the practice squad, but it's generally a couple years so it's not like a few weeks decision thing for the most part. And last year (and still possibly this year) the PS rules have been expanded to allow more flexibility through the COVID times. At the end of the year PS contracts expire and teams resign their players to regular NFL, usually minimum contracts through training camp. This is why if you look at a salary cap page right now guys like Christian Wade (aren't we about due for a new CW thread? LOL) are technically under NFL contract for the minimum $660,000.

 

Correct, a player must be waived and pass through waivers unclaimed before he can be signed to a practice squad. That's why practice squads aren't established until after the 53 cutdown date. There is a minimum salary for practice squad players, and most players are signed to it. And, with a few limitations, PS players can sign to another team's regular roster (if doing so the new team must keep them on the regular 53 for a 3 week minimum). The PS player's team can't stop the player from signing to a new team's 53, but they are allowed to offer the player the same deal (or better) and sign them to their own 53 if the player wishes (same 3 week minimum applies normally, relaxed last year for COVID reasons). For this reason, PS players CAN be paid any amount. subsequently they do count against the salary cap.

 

On the final 53 cut down date basically all players under contract, including PS and IR, all count against the cap. Certain players with commish exemptions or non-football injuries, etc. do not, but mostly they all do.

 

OK wondered about that part.

 

Have they announced PS rules for this coming season yet?  Last I saw they hadn't yet decided whether to go with the normal rules or the 2020 Covid version.  The way things are trending right now won't be shocked to see them go with 2020 rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

OK wondered about that part.

 

Have they announced PS rules for this coming season yet?  Last I saw they hadn't yet decided whether to go with the normal rules or the 2020 Covid version.  The way things are trending right now won't be shocked to see them go with 2020 rules.

I don't think they have announced it officially yet.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...