As far as I'm concerned, TD had a playoff team

:lol: Wowsers. that's a bold statement. Hope you're right, but until I see them beat a Pittsburgh, NE or Philly, I'm not quite ready to go there.

319578[/snapback]

Will you wet yourself if they do?

Come to think of it, don't answer that. I'm not exactly batting .1000 when I ask that! :lol:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible analogy. Constructing a winning football team is hardly akin to being able to put Tab A into Slot B. Are you telling me TD hasn't put talent on this football team?

319579[/snapback]

Not at all. I think he's added a lot of talent to the D and ST. It's the offense that's really failed.

Specifically the OL. We have different names in different places, but with the same result: an oft-sacked QB, RBs that have to fight from behind the LOS to make yardage, busted screen plays, etc...

Look, I love the D he's built (hope he keeps it intact). Not to mention the ST.

But the offense is so PUTRID that it kind of overtakes the advances in other areas. There were only six teams worse than the Bills on offense last year. Has everyone forgotten?

I agree. That anology does not work in the most basic sense of analogies. To me , as long as TD keeps doing all he can do to make this team better and manage the cap well and rely on the advice of his expert staff, he can stay as long as he wants. He provides opportunity, not victories.

If ifs and buts...

Serious question: At what point will YOU consider Donohoe kaput?

319521[/snapback]

as for me, i'll consider donahoe's tenure a failure if within two seasons the bills have not entered the playoffs as more than a no-shot wild card. i give TD a pass this year (even though i have very high expectations myself) because we simply can't predict what a 1st-year QB will do.

in his four seasons as pres/GM, donahoe has taken a talent-poor team buried under the salary cap and turned it into an on-the-cusp-of-greatness organization that has its' financial ship in order and a roster full of very good football players. he has made a few mistakes -- hiring GW instead of john fox or marvin lewis; believing bledsoe was the answer at QB; not insisting on the firing of gilbride (and there are others) -- but the majority of his personnel decisions have been solid and, at times, brilliant.

i'd like for somebody to present a thorough, thoughtful analysis of just how many teams -- in their current state -- you'd rather be a fan of than the buffalo bills. i don't think the number is very high. certainly less than 10.

I agree. That anology does not work in the most basic sense of analogies. To me , as long as TD keeps doing all he can do to make this team better and manage the cap well and rely on the advice of his expert staff, he can stay as long as he wants. He provides opportunity, not victories.

319597[/snapback]

So in your mind, results are meaningless?

I mean, yeah, I suppose there's the rah-rah idea of "he's trying his best."

But what happens if we have back to back 6-10 seasons? Can anyone honestly say at that point in time that he's really doing his best? If that's the case, maybe his best isn't good enough. There had to be a reason Cowher beat him out in Pitt.

When he stops trying to build the best team he possibly can and is just mailing in the effort. I have yet to see that from him.

319538[/snapback]

So simply trying to win is enough?

i'd like for somebody to present a thorough, thoughtful analysis of just how many teams -- in their current state -- you'd rather be a fan of than the buffalo bills.  i don't think the number is very high.  certainly less than 10.

319602[/snapback]

I'm a Bills fan. Period.

Otherwise I wouldn't give a flying fork about what TD is or is not doing.

:lol:

As many have pointed out here, it is TD's responsibility to get th eplayers here, not to coach them.

-Jacksonville -Clements knocks down a pass instead of going for an INT- playoffs, don't need the Steeler game

GM can't correct this other than to trade the player.

-Oakland -Henry doesn't trip over his feet/hash mark -playoffs, don't need the Steeler game

See above.

-1st Jets game we lost 16-14. A skosh more effort from either the offense or the defense- playoffs, don't need the Steeler game

How is the GM going to correct this? That is the coach's responsibility.

All were examples of things outside the realm of the GM's responsibilities. You can criticize him for trades, drafts and overall talent evaluation but nonoe of the items you mentioned.

Last year was not a playoff year. Playoff teams overcome the issues you mentioned. The Bills did not do that.

As many have pointed out here, it is TD's responsibility to get th eplayers here, not to coach them.

GM can't correct this other than to trade the player.

See above.

How is the GM going to correct this? That is the coach's responsibility.

All were examples of things outside the realm of the GM's responsibilities. You can criticize him for trades, drafts and overall talent evaluation but nonoe of the items you mentioned.

Last year was not a playoff year. Playoff teams overcome the issues you mentioned. The Bills did not do that.

319608[/snapback]

Playoff teams are amalgamations of top-notch coaching and great talent.

Either way, it is the GM's responsibility to provide both of those ingredients. So, eventually, the buck stops with the GM, yes?

So simply trying to win is enough?

319606[/snapback]

As opposed to trying to lose?

Some people here think there is a magic GM wand that all one needs to do is wave it and *presto*...playoff team. So for the TD bashers, who would you wan't to replace him? Fuggin' Harry Potter?

Some people here think there is a magic GM wand that all one needs to do is wave it and *presto*...playoff team. So for the TD bashers, who would you wan't to replace him? Fuggin' Harry Potter?

319619[/snapback]

LMAO!!

-Oakland -Henry doesn't trip over his feet/hash mark

319497[/snapback]

Actually, (according to Instant Replay) Henry did make that touchdown. We should have and would have won that game had Mularkey challenged the call. But, still... TH should have made the end zone by more than 1/10th of an inch with the hole he had in front of him.

Didn't the NFL call and apologize for the poor call they made that cost us that game. In my opinion, we were in the Playoffs, we just lost to the Steelers.

Playoff teams overcome the issues you mentioned. The Bills did not do that.

319608[/snapback]

Um... there were teams that made the playoffs last year that the Bills would have crushed had they had the opportunity. Especially in the NFC. Being a playoff team doesn't mean you are a good team, it means that you are better than that rest. The Bills are better than 20 other teams (easily) in my opinion.

Playoff teams are amalgamations of top-notch coaching and great talent.

Either way, it is the GM's responsibility to provide both of those ingredients. So, eventually, the buck stops with the GM, yes?

319611[/snapback]

Yes, it does. If he brings in talent and the coaches do not get the most out of it, the GM needs to change the coaches (and he has). If the players suck, then he needs to get rid of the players.

He has a coach with one year under his belt. I would hold off on canning TD until I see how this coach performs. If the Bills take a major step backwards this year, then I say can TD. There may be some dropoff due to the fact that Losman is starting, but I would not hold that against TD.

319619[/snapback]

Polian? Piotti?

319619[/snapback]

I didn't know Potter knew football, I thought he played that game on a broom.

Um... there were teams that made the playoffs last year that the Bills would have crushed had they had the opportunity. 

Too bad they couldn't win when they should have in order to make the playoffs. The playoff teams were actually able to win when they should have in order to advance to the playoffs. Therein lies the difference.

Especially in the NFC. 

Funny, I thought the Bills were in the AFC. What the hell does NFC playoff teams have to do with the Bills?

Being a playoff team doesn't mean you are a good team, it means that you are better than that rest.  The Bills are better than 20 other teams (easily) in my opinion.

319637[/snapback]

Combining the AFC and NFC again, huh?

I'm a Bills fan. Period.

Otherwise I wouldn't give a flying fork about what TD is or is not doing.

319607[/snapback]

but you miss my point. you criticize TD mercilessly, yet how many teams are in a better situation? 3? 4?

we are lucky, as bills' fans, to be rooting for an organization that is so close to being at or near the top of the league again. that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't be critical of what they do, but for crissake, you're giving yourself a damned ulcer!

319608[/snapback]

But if a GM signs a larger number of so-called "skill" players and avoids the unglamorous positions because they don't excite the fan base and fill the stands until they learn the ropes, is not such a GM more a showman than a football man?

A classic short-term profit type?