Bills hire analytic intern Evan Weiss full time

DJB

I wonder if Reiss played a role with our drafting the RAS monsters. 

Also here is his Twitter if you want to follow him. Maybe he leaves us clues for the future. 

Edited by DJB

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

Also here is his Twitter if you want to follow him. Maybe he leaves us clues for the future. 

I would say he probably had little to no say for the draft

Analytic guys in football are mostly running probabilities  ... Like what does the data say about going for it on 4th and one from your own 45 in the second quarter 

He would literally be about 15th or 20th down the line on the draft.. they might take his data but I doubt they would even ask him if they think the guy is good enough to draft.. he's not a scout

Edited by Buffalo716

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Analytic guys in football are mostly running probabilities  ... Like what does the data say about going for it on 4th and one from your own 45 in the second quarter 

He would literally be about 15th or 20th down the line on the draft.. they might take his data but I doubt they would even ask him if they think the guy is good enough to draft.. he's not a scout

I think it’s like you say, But, I would think if there was solid data about something that would be helpful he is encouraged to bring that information to light, as it were. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm well aware of his likely role and yes obviously he is not a scout...he does analytics. But teams are using analytics much more when it comes to the draft. 

Hence my statement of "I wonder if he played a role". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, DJB said:

Don't forget the 10 yard split. I noticed that almost everyone of our picks had a elite number

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'm well aware of his likely role and yes obviously he is not a scout...he does analytics. But teams are using analytics much more when it comes to the draft. 

Hence my statement of "I wonder if he played a role". 

I'm sure they took his analytical reports on prospects

And then the football people combed it over and decided what translates and what doesn't

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I think it’s like you say, But, I would think if there was solid data about something that would be helpful he is encouraged to bring that information to light, as it were. 

I'm sure he probably did give his reports to the scouts and personnel guys

And then they drew their own conclusions based on tape with some of the stuff they learned

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm sure they took his analytical reports on prospects

And then the football people combed it over and decided what translates and what doesn't

I'm sure he probably did give his reports to the scouts and personnel guys

And then they drew their own conclusions based on tape with some of the stuff they learned

Not probably, it’s in his job requirements to bring any info he gathers to decision makers, why the hell else is he on the payroll? 😁  This isn’t the Nix era, Beane wants any data that may give him an edge, I’m not saying the guy is a decision maker, but he is in effect a sports data scout, and would be required to relay timely reports up the food chain regularly as it were. This isn’t like the scene in money ball with a bunch of tired azs out of touch old farts wondering why the new kid is at the table...😂

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not probably, it’s in his job requirements to bring any info he gathers to decision makers, why the hell else is he on the payroll? 😁  This isn’t the Nix era, Beane wants any data that may give him an edge, I’m not saying the guy is a decision maker, but he is in effect a sports data scout, and would be required to relay timely reports up the food chain regularly as it were. This isn’t like the scene in money ball with a bunch of tired azs out of touch old farts wondering why the new kid is at the table...😂

He actually wasn't on the payroll though during the draft process...  It says he was an intern getting hired

So He's getting hired now

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

He actually wasn't on the payroll though during the draft process... 

He's getting hired now

And what I said stands, think about it, the job has requirements..., they don’t add payroll costs without having a plan in place. 

53 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Wow - that was a MATH NERDS dream read......my brain hurts.

Well I used to be an honors math major.  When I went to UB I needed a waiver to get into honors math program as a freshman.  The dean told me I could either take Honor Calculus I or I could take Calculus III.  I told him based on the book we had covered more than 1/4 of Calculus III in high school so he gave me a problem.  I derived the formula and then I solved the problem.   I got what I wanted but I should have take 2 easy A's with Calculus I & II rather than AP credit. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

And what I said stands, think about it, the job has requirements..., they don’t add payroll costs without having a plan in place. 

Again I don't think I ever said he didn't give reports to football people

I said he had absolutely no decision making powers.. most scouts don't even have sway

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Again I don't think I ever said he didn't give reports to football people

I said he had absolutely no decision making powers

You said “probably” about forwarding reports,  and I as well said he is not decision maker. Maybe we should re-read each other’s posts.,. 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

You said “probably” about forwarding reports,  and I as well said he is not decision maker. Maybe we should re-read each other’s posts.,. 😁👍

I also said I'm sure the first time without saying probably lol 

It's called improper English not being wrong lol

You really can't be probably sure of something lol you're sure of it or not 😂

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well I used to be an honors math major.  When I went to UB I needed a waiver to get into honors math program as a freshman.  The dean told me I could either take Honor Calculus I or I could take Calculus III.  I told him based on the book we had covered more than 1/4 of Calculus III in high school so he gave me a problem.  I derived the formula and then I solved the problem.   I got what I wanted but I should have take 2 easy A's with Calculus I & II rather than AP credit. 

NERD!

Just kidding, I wish I was that good with math