Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Tom Brady blasts 'dumb' new NFL uniform number rule

wppete

2 hours ago, Nineforty said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/07/tom-brady-nfls-new-jersey-number-rule-is-crazy-big-advantage-to-the-defense/

Brady recently expanded on his thoughts:

“The number rule is crazy,” Brady said. “Literally, guys changed their numbers today. I’m playing two guys who had different numbers in the preseason. So, yeah you’ve got to watch film and know who you’re studying but so do running backs. They’ve got to know who to block. So does the offensive line. So does the receivers who are adjusting their routes based on blitzes.

“So one guys has got a 6, one guy has 11, one guy has got a 9. And they change every play when you break your routes and get to your spot. It’s going to be a very challenging thing. It’s a good advantage for the defense, which that’s what it is.

“It would be like saying, ‘What if I let the offensive linemen wear 82 and No. 9?’ They wouldn’t know who was eligible. Well that’s not fair. You’ll get your tail kicked. At least identify who the D-line, the linebackers and the safeties are. You’re going to have a lot of matchups where guys are blocking the wrong guys. I don’t know why that should be.”

Brady thinks the NFL would have benefited from talking to veteran quarterbacks before changing the rule..."

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nineforty said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/07/tom-brady-nfls-new-jersey-number-rule-is-crazy-big-advantage-to-the-defense/

Brady recently expanded on his thoughts:

“The number rule is crazy,” Brady said. “Literally, guys changed their numbers today. I’m playing two guys who had different numbers in the preseason. So, yeah you’ve got to watch film and know who you’re studying but so do running backs. They’ve got to know who to block. So does the offensive line. So does the receivers who are adjusting their routes based on blitzes.

“So one guys has got a 6, one guy has 11, one guy has got a 9. And they change every play when you break your routes and get to your spot. It’s going to be a very challenging thing. It’s a good advantage for the defense, which that’s what it is.

“It would be like saying, ‘What if I let the offensive linemen wear 82 and No. 9?’ They wouldn’t know who was eligible. Well that’s not fair. You’ll get your tail kicked. At least identify who the D-line, the linebackers and the safeties are. You’re going to have a lot of matchups where guys are blocking the wrong guys. I don’t know why that should be.”

Brady thinks the NFL would have benefited from talking to veteran quarterbacks before changing the rule..."

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

52s the mike!

I think.

Maybe? 

The Goat does have a good point. I think I would’ve done single digits for DBs and WR only, but so many teams have DBs playing LB spots it doesn’t matter much.

I agree with Brady here. At first I thought “what’s the big deal”. But it’s been confusing watching the preseason and I can only half understand NFL concepts, let alone be an expert. It’s probably frustrating and something that will be overcome as we move forward. We have edge rushers wearing 11. It’s odd. 

I guess to Brady’s point, the advantage has been the offense for so long, this switches the advantage back to the defense, which is good. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, Rochesterfan said:

Unfortunately he is correct.  It is a stupid unnecessary rule and actually they should restrict numbers more to assist the Refs with certain calls.  

This easily can lead to identification issues for how players line up and illegal versus legal blocks by position and location on the field.

If each position group had 10-15 numbers with limited overlap - it would be fine.  Preseason and training camp overlap numbers with camp fodder and let’s go.

Speaking of stupid unnecessary rules, how'd that tuck work out for Tommy boy. Launched his career.