Bills re-sign LB Andre Smith to two-year deal worth up to $3M, per Ian Rapoport

Logic

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2420361/2021/03/03/the-10-under-the-radar-bills-players-who-could-seize-an-opportunity-in-2021/?source=user_shared_article

The Athletic wrote this about Smith as one of 10 under the radar players that could play a bigger role next year:

SP guys can be gotten from veteran  roster UFA and non-drafted good athletes.  They picked up this guy at some expense because there was a lot of upside.  He may be a "ready for prime time player" and part of the reason to let Mileno go.   Mileno a FA may give an extra 3rd round draft pickup.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty sure they had Dodson playing Mike next to Klein at Will when he came in for Edmunds vs. the Jets and started for him vs. Miami?

Thought they had him playing Will vs Tenn (but unsure about that) and it didn't work out too well, but then our D in general didn't work out too well that day

He played MIKE against Miami definitely. Edmunds played against Tenn (it was one of his worst games) so Dodson must have got snaps at WILL but Klein started there didn't he? Maybe they used some 3 linebacker sets that day? They do tend to use them a bit more against run heavy teams.

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting article.  A bit of a surprise to me, given the above, that Fairburn mentioned Dodson and Smith as under-the-radar Bills LB who could have a bigger role, but not Matakevich.

I too was surprised before I realized a Matakevich release could save the Bills 3+ million in Cap space. I suspect Fairburn factored that into his analysis - though he shda explained that better in the article no doubt.

Personally I think his ST play is stellar and worth that cap space- though the Bills do not appear to value him that highly as a LB.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He played MIKE against Miami definitely. Edmunds played against Tenn (it was one of his worst games) so Dodson must have got snaps at WILL but Klein started there didn't he? Maybe they used some 3 linebacker sets that day? They do tend to use them a bit more against run heavy teams.

Geez the things I do when I'm too lazy to hit Gamepass.  Dodson listed as starting in the box score and took 91% of the defensive snaps so I think he was the WILL and Klein came in for the base (30% of snaps).

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I too was surprised before I realized a Matakevich release could save the Bills 3+ million in Cap space. I suspect Fairburn factored that into his analysis - though he shda explained that better in the article no doubt.

Personally I think his ST play is stellar and worth that cap space- though the Bills do not appear to value him that highly as a LB.

Bills value Matakevich highly enough as a linebacker that he got the snaps ahead of a healthy Dodson vs. Miami

Me, I think he'll be extended, not cut.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Matakevich is not being cut.  Beane and Coach McD asked ST Coordinator who would he want first and he said Matakevich.  Best way to get most use of the money is find him snaps on packages on defense.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Matakevich is not being cut.  Beane and Coach McD asked ST Coordinator who would he want first and he said Matakevich.  Best way to get most use of the money is find him snaps on packages on defense.

Agreed. They need to get him snaps on D. Brings a ton of energy and physicality when he is out there. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Geez the things I do when I'm too lazy to hit Gamepass.  Dodson listed as starting in the box score and took 91% of the defensive snaps so I think he was the WILL and Klein came in for the base (30% of snaps).

Bills value Matakevich highly enough as a linebacker that he got the snaps ahead of a healthy Dodson vs. Miami

Me, I think he'll be extended, not cut.

I wouldnt read too much into a few extra snaps v. Miami. That said, I've been a Matakevich fan since his Temple days. and definitely want him on the Bills roster and any other year, he is worth that money.  But this offseason 3 million will go a long way - so Matakevich is a restructure / pay reduction candidate.