The January 6th Commission To Investigate The Insurrection

Tiberius

6 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

a crazy idea. hear me out. the class is given a syllabus at the beginning of the semester. it has a sign off sheet for the parents. if parents wish there children to learn something else then whats on there. the school offers options. if the teacher is caught giving assignments or forcing participation on subjects parents find controversial, for any reason.. then the teacher is fired. if they are lying about the syllabus..the teacher is fired, and we agree on this. no exceptions.

we had to do it with sex ed in my school. why is this a hill so many must die on. the arrogance of we know better then you as a stranger or i only found out this was being taught when...blah blah blah secretive stuff. the fact such young children are being involved makes it all the more creepy. that goes for religious subjects as well....or any subject. the parents have the final say PERIOD.

we can all stop arguing what we think other parents kids are exposed to and it will be a better world.

Except it won’t. 1. There is a massive teacher shortage and the far right is making it worse. The ability to fire a teacher at the call of any right wing Karen is a terrible idea. 2. Our education system should expose our kids to many ideas. Creating a school that is just an echo chamber of ideas will further decline public discourse similar to what biased media already has.

You bring up sex Ed. Great point that we can tie to the creationism argument as well. Any teacher teaching abstinence should be fired under your argument.

Surveys show sex Ed is actually pretty popular. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/uploads/filer_public/7a/ac/7aacf0ad-fd1c-4dcc-b65f-47e3c3754e0d/sex_education_-_a_national_survey_on_support_among_likely_voters_logo.pdf

The idea of teaching abstinence is actually religious based. Going back to the VA EO, that means this teaching is divisive and we should email the VA education department to report any teacher teaching abstinence.

46 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Except it won’t. 1. There is a massive teacher shortage and the far right is making it worse. The ability to fire a teacher at the call of any right wing Karen is a terrible idea. 2. Our education system should expose our kids to many ideas. Creating a school that is just an echo chamber of ideas will further decline public discourse similar to what biased media already has.

You bring up sex Ed. Great point that we can tie to the creationism argument as well. Any teacher teaching abstinence should be fired under your argument.

Surveys show sex Ed is actually pretty popular. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/uploads/filer_public/7a/ac/7aacf0ad-fd1c-4dcc-b65f-47e3c3754e0d/sex_education_-_a_national_survey_on_support_among_likely_voters_logo.pdf

The idea of teaching abstinence is actually religious based. Going back to the VA EO, that means this teaching is divisive and we should email the VA education department to report any teacher teaching abstinence.

Abstinence is religious based? 😂😂😂 You seem to want to equate everything to religion. What’s next? The concept of good and evil? Let’s toss that while we’re at it. This conversation has become absurd.

7 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Creationism is not taught as an option. It’s part of the curriculum.

So if that’s your opinion you have 2 stances to take in VA. Allow CRT and creationism or say no to creationism and CRT.

why are you so interested in my opinion?  im a former teacher/former track coach, now an occasional sub.  i make no stances, i just like working with young people.  i dont get into this stuff with them.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Abstinence is religious based? 😂😂😂 You seem to want to equate everything to religion. What’s next? The concept of good and evil? Let’s toss that while we’re at it. This conversation has become absurd.

Yes, abstinence education has historically been pushed by evangelicals.

The issue of religion is coming up due to an EO signed by Youngkin. I understand that reading isn’t your forte but in the EO which has been quoted several times, you cannot teach any idea that puts one faith above another.

Faith deals with religion so religion is a topic that should be discussed as right wing teachers violate the EO.

1 minute ago, Beach said:

why are you so interested in my opinion?  im a former teacher/former track coach, now an occasional sub.  i make no stances, i just like working with young people.  i dont get into this stuff with them.

Don’t go down the liberal rabbit hole with him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beach said:

Then your opinion means even more than others here. If you sub in a VA science class where that day they ask you to teach creationism, 1) would you do it now that an argument is made it violates the VA EO, 2) would you report yourself to the VA education board?, 3) would you be worried about teaching it knowing that some Karen will report you to the VA education board?

Just now, Backintheday544 said:

Then your opinion means even more than others here. If you sub in a VA science class where that day they ask you to teach creationism, 1) would you do it now that an argument is made it violates the VA EO, 2) would you report yourself to the VA education board?, 3) would you be worried about teaching it knowing that some Karen will report you to the VA education board?

creationism is not "taught".  it is mentioned as an option along with the other theories.  i think i said that a few times.  

10 minutes ago, Beach said:

creationism is not "taught".  it is mentioned as an option along with the other theories.  i think i said that a few times.  

He’s hung up on the religious thing. It’s the go to of the classic godless liberal. You’re getting nowhere. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He’s hung up on the religious thing. It’s the go to of the classic godless liberal. You’re getting nowhere. 

Religion is a thing here because it’s specifically mentioned in the EO. If it wasn’t mentioned in the EO then you would have a point. Unfortunately, it is, so we need to view concepts with religious based backing as divisive. 

You with your response calling me a Godless liberal yet again proved its divisive.

If you were a VA teacher, I’d have no other option but then to report you under the VA EO.

For the purposes of this Executive order “inherently divisive concepts” means advancing any ideas in violation of Title IV and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, including, but not limited to of the following concepts (i) one race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith is inherently superior to another race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith; (ii) an individual, by virtue of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex or faith, is racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or subconsciously, (iii) an individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex or faith, (iv) members of one race, ethnicity, sex or faith cannot and should not attempt to treat others as individuals without respect to race, sex or faith, (v) an individual's moral character is inherently determined by his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith, (vi) an individual, by virtue of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, ethnicity, sex or faith, (vii) meritocracy or traits, such as a hard work ethic, are racist or sexist or were created by a particular race to oppress another race.

22 minutes ago, Beach said:

Then you go the definition of taught. A teacher bringing it up in a classroom setting to me seems like teaching. 

If it’s just brought up as an option, what happens in the classroom? Does the teach say, hey everyone I’m not teaching right now so this isn’t being taught to you, but there is this thing called creationism that I want to mention. Creationism means blah blah blah. Ok done not teaching you students, I will go back to teaching you other things now.

In the same token, CRT isn’t being taught. And I’d say if it does come up it’s just mentioned as an option along with other theories on race.

1 minute ago, Backintheday544 said:

Religion is a thing here because it’s specifically mentioned in the EO. If it wasn’t mentioned in the EO then you would have a point. Unfortunately, it is, so we need to view concepts with religious based backing as divisive. 

You with your response calling me a Godless liberal yet again proved its divisive.

If you were a VA teacher, I’d have no other option but then to report you under the VA EO.

For the purposes of this Executive order “inherently divisive concepts” means advancing any ideas in violation of Title IV and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, including, but not limited to of the following concepts (i) one race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith is inherently superior to another race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith; (ii) an individual, by virtue of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex or faith, is racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or subconsciously, (iii) an individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex or faith, (iv) members of one race, ethnicity, sex or faith cannot and should not attempt to treat others as individuals without respect to race, sex or faith, (v) an individual's moral character is inherently determined by his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith, (vi) an individual, by virtue of his or her race, skin color, ethnicity, sex, or faith, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, ethnicity, sex or faith, (vii) meritocracy or traits, such as a hard work ethic, are racist or sexist or were created by a particular race to oppress another race.

The term religion is tossed around a bit too loosely. You inserted creationism. You can teach the concept of the Big Bang (spontaneous combustion) without talking about God. You can also teach abstinence without talking about God. Not sure where or when you went to school but both were discussed in WNY schools back in my day and God wasn’t mentioned ONCE! 

11 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

I totally understand you not reading all the books available to you may have hurt your reading comprehension.

As a liberal, I’m totally cool with your disability.

I think this article spells it out a bit more:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a38213693/virginia-school-board-burn-books-evil-related-material/

“Two board members, Courtland representative Rabih Abuismail and Livingston representative Kirk Twigg, said they would like to see the removed books burned. “I think we should throw those books in a fire,” Abuismail said, and Twigg said he wants to “see the books before we burn them so we can identify within our community that we are eradicating this bad stuff.””

So yes, there is conservatives looking to burn books in public education they disagree with.

It’s not a lie. It’s a direct quote from the horses mouth.

That is disappointing that he really said that. He has walked it back because virtually no one agrees with him but I hope he loses the next election. I will stand by the statement that assigning students Maus in 8th grade is too early for many students. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

That is disappointing that he really said that. He has walked it back because virtually no one agrees with him but I hope he loses the next election. I will stand by the statement that assigning students Maus in 8th grade is too early for many students. 

Isn’t it interesting how he throws out a veiled slur (disability). The classic new age liberal. When your argument falls apart…start calling people names. Nice! 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Isn’t it interesting how he throws out a veiled slur (disability). The classic new age liberal. When your argument falls apart…start calling people names. Nice! 

No argument is falling apart.

Your stance as schools shouldn’t teach ideology. We discussed how Christian ideology is being discussed or offered as an opinion in schools now.

We then took that into context of the VA Executive Order and found that teaching faith based ideology such as creationism is a clear violation of the Executive order as it puts faiths that have a Supreme being to spur the creation in creationism above faiths that do not have a supreme being.

The EO explicitly says we can’t do that.

So if you want to get rid of ideology such as CRT in VA, we need to get rid of all ideological  studies that even if they’re things that you or the others on the right support.

Crusades, Pilgrims, etc are taught.  its not so much their religion being taught as that their religion shaped history.   Telling students that people used to believe that the earth was flat isnt teaching the students that the earth is flat.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

No argument is falling apart.

Your stance as schools shouldn’t teach ideology. We discussed how Christian ideology is being discussed or offered as an opinion in schools now.

We then took that into context of the VA Executive Order and found that teaching faith based ideology such as creationism is a clear violation of the Executive order as it puts faiths that have a Supreme being to spur the creation in creationism above faiths that do not have a supreme being.

The EO explicitly says we can’t do that.

So if you want to get rid of ideology such as CRT in VA, we need to get rid of all ideological  studies that even if they’re things that you or the others on the right support.

You are really misinformed. The concepts of creation and abstinence are NOT uniquely linked to Christianity. Put you godless paganism back in its holster. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You are really misinformed. The concepts of creation and abstinence are NOT uniquely linked to Christianity. Put you godless paganism back in its holster. 

Again, creationism doesn’t need to be linked to just Christianity for it to violate the EO.

Creationism is linked to a supreme being creating everything. That means you must have a faith that believes in a Supreme Being such as Christians, Muslims, Jewish, etc. It puts any faith that has a Supreme Being above any faith that doesn’t believe in a Supreme Being.

• Eyeroll 1

ok i understand the assignment now.  as an occasional sub teacher i will make sure creationism is no longer mentioned as a belief in the schools of Virginia.  the students are safe now.  we good?