ESPN Joins The Eternal Debate

dorquemada

When the Bills win the super bowl there will be a lot of demons exercised from the perception of Buffalo and the Bills !!

They played a rerun of week 5 last night on the NFL network and it's not far fetched at all that the Bills can beat KC and if you look at the stats on BB.com by the stats the Bills are a superior team but Josh needs to be what we know he can be and the D needs to do what they did last week and it will take care of it self .

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think until Josh wins a Lombardi there will be those who still ask the what if.... and I suppose to some extent that is fair. But where the two are at this point I think it is perfectly legitimate to say you'd take Josh Allen, Tre White, Tremaine Edmunds and Siran Neal for Patrick Mahomes and a third round pick (Brandon Parker picked eventually by the Raiders) which is kinda how the whole deal worked itself out in the end.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Maybe someone should ask the Bears, and Jets, and Jags, who all passed on Mahomes despite having needed a QB for decades.  And who still need a QB 4 years later.

Virtually every team in that top-9 that draft should be asked, outside of maybe the Panthers.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Virtually every team in that top-9 that draft should be asked, outside of maybe the Panthers.

Agree. At least the Bears picked a QB even if he was the wrong one. A lot of these teams had a need and watched Mahomes and Watson fall to teams in the 20s trading up. 

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Mahomes become that starter in KC with all-pro caliber players in Kelce and Hill.

In Buffalo he would have had an over weight Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Charles Clay, Robert Foster and Zay Jones. I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Mahomes would not have been the same player in Buffalo. He would be in a similar situation as Allen where is play gradually got better as the roster got better. 

Look at Allen as a perfect example too. Allen was already trending in the right direction in terms of his growth over his first two year but once we got him a legitimate receiver in Diggs he became a top three QB in the league. And that is with one all-pro caliber receiver. Mahomes has been playing with two all-pro receivers his entire career. And yes, I know Beasley made second team all-pro this year with one vote from Peter King (because King was looking at it from a slot receiver perspective) but I think the point still stands. Kelce and Hill is basically the equivalent of having two receivers the same caliber of Diggs. And Mahomes has had them since day one. Allen's only had Diggs this year. 

Correct but I think that it’s more than that....Mahomes was drafted into perhaps, the best possible situation in the NFL  While many teams were high on him, he was not a “can’t miss” QB in the way that many project a Trevor Lawrence to be.  He had actually shared a lot of similarities with Allen as a college QB - the difference being his experience and statistics.  Either way, many believed that Mahomes was a raw prospect and needed to sit for some time.  KC had a luxury where they could sit him.

Mahomes had the chance to be mentored by one of the smartest QB’s in Alex Smith and one of the offensive minds in Any Reid.  He also was around OC Matt Nagy (and Eric Bienemy to a lesser extent) for his rookie year - again another good offensive mind.  

When Mahomes was ready to start he stepped into an great offense with some All-Pro weapons.  

I would argue that Buffalo in 2017 would not have been a great situation with OC Rick Dennison and QB Coach David Culley.  Plus, he could’ve been pressed into duty before he was ready plying behind Tyrod.   Then there are those terrible weapons.

So you have to consider - would Patrick Mahomes in KC be the same QB in Buffalo? I think it’s fair to say by the 3rd year there’s a good chance he becomes a great QB - but the question is how much better does he become than what Allen has been at the end of his 3rd season?

We’ll never know but I don’t think it’s a certainty that some in the media are portraying it as, which is what makes this such a futile talking point IMO 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1