Jim Kubiak (TBN) take on Steelers at Bills

If you aren't subscribed, the special is so inexpensive there's really no reason not to check it out for the rest of the season

https://buffalonews.com/opinion/columnists/jim-kubiak-how-use-of-short-in-concept-led-to-josh-allens-surge-for-bills/article_55870ea6-3e66-11eb-83b1-cf54ba0a0726.html

Best angle I've seen yet of Cam Hayward hitting Allen's arm as he threw and causing the INT:

In the background of Cole Beasley's post-practice interview on buffalobills.com, two OLmen can be seen alternately working with a pad and blocking with occasional glimpses of Bobby Johnson.  One of them is practice squad guy Trey Adams, not sure who the other is - might be Marquel Harrell.   Mitch Morse is alternatively standing there watching, and taking a turn at the blocks.  I got so distracted watching this I had trouble focusing on Cole's interview which is actually interesting - he gives some flickers of insight into the challenge of coaching a room full of high-powered and highly competitive alpha male WR who all think they're always open and should get the ball on every throw.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen's arm was never hit.  I've heard from analyst after analyst that it was just a bad throw :rolleyes:  (I'm guessing after seeing the all-22/slowmo they knew that it wasn't but the initial reaction to the highlight were)

Good read and interview though.

Also, I really want to know if Beasley is a face/close talker based on his interviews.  Feel like he's always inches away from the camera.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you aren't subscribed, the special is so inexpensive there's really no reason not to check it out for the rest of the season

https://buffalonews.com/opinion/columnists/jim-kubiak-how-use-of-short-in-concept-led-to-josh-allens-surge-for-bills/article_55870ea6-3e66-11eb-83b1-cf54ba0a0726.html

Best angle I've seen yet of Cam Hayward hitting Allen's arm as he threw and causing the INT:

In the background of Cole Beasley's post-practice interview on buffalobills.com, two OLmen can be seen alternately working with a pad and blocking with occasional glimpses of Bobby Johnson.  One of them is practice squad guy Trey Adams, not sure who the other is - might be Marquel Harrell.   Mitch Morse is alternatively standing there watching, and taking a turn at the blocks.  I got so distracted watching this I had trouble focusing on Cole's interview which is actually interesting - he gives some flickers of insight into the challenge of coaching a room full of high-powered and highly competitive alpha male WR who all think they're always open and should get the ball on every throw.

From viewing the video, had Josh stepped up between Ike and Mitch or Motor helped Mitch he could have gotten pass off 

The more I look at it, a simple chip block by Motor and it's a TD 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Allen's arm was never hit.  I've heard from analyst after analyst that it was just a bad throw :rolleyes:  (I'm guessing after seeing the all-22/slowmo they knew that it wasn't but the initial reaction to the highlight were)

Also, I really want to know if Beasley is a face/close talker based on his interviews.  Feel like he's always inches away from the camera.

They showed a great view of it on the broadcast getting hit. So if people think it was a bad throw they didn't watch. Just looked at the stats.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

From viewing the video, had Josh stepped up between Ike and Mitch or Motor helped Mitch he could have gotten pass off 

So this is where someone with more football knowledge would be invaluable, but 1) Motor's role is probably to stay in until they see how many guys are coming, then leak out to serve as a check-down outlet if he has noone to block after a certain count 2) if Josh steps up between Ike and Mitch, I think Heyward would find him "crunchy and good with ketsup, which your uniform kinda looks like now that you mention it".  If Boettger had been helping Morse, Heyward could have been contained, and that's what I saw happen in the 2nd half.

FWIW, Kubiak, who is not shy about criticizing Josh, had this to say:

Allen’s eyes are downfield on the secondary. He could not see the pass rush or be held accountable for Morse being able to prevent Heyward from reaching out and hitting Allen’s arm during his throw. The overwhelming pressure and ability to compress pocket directly into Allen created the interception. This was not Allen’s fault nor could he have done anything to prevent it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Did you watch the game? They said his arm was hit immediately after.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did you watch the game? They said his arm was hit immediately after.

I know it was.  Even said so in the game time thread.  Just talking about the talking head who only saw the stat line and that he threw a pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So this is where someone with more football knowledge would be invaluable, but 1) Motor's role is probably to stay in until they see how many guys are coming, then leak out to serve as a check-down outlet if he has noone to block after a certain count 2) if Josh steps up between Ike and Mitch, I think Heyward would find him "crunchy and good with ketsup, which your uniform kinda looks like now that you mention it".  If Boettger had been helping Morse, Heyward could have been contained, and that's what I saw happen in the 2nd half.

FWIW, Kubiak, who is not shy about criticizing Josh, had this to say:

Allen’s eyes are downfield on the secondary. He could not see the pass rush or be held accountable for Morse being able to prevent Heyward from reaching out and hitting Allen’s arm during his throw. The overwhelming pressure and ability to compress pocket directly into Allen created the interception. This was not Allen’s fault nor could he have done anything to prevent it.

Well seeing that he ran right by him a simple chip would have slowed down rush from Heyward without preventing Motor from still going out into his route as checkdown. That millisecond would've allowed Josh to get pass off without being hit. That's just my observation 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Analyst after analyst though?

There were 2 or 3 that blamed it on him the next morning.  Sorry if that bugged me that they blamed him for the pick even though he was hit on the throw.  And that's part of the point I guess.  Allen didn't have a great game but a bunch of them agreed he did.  Last week against SF was a great game.  He was lights out.  At worst I hope the game against Pitt turns out to be an average game for Allen in the future.

Edited by The Wiz

46 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Well seeing that he ran right by him a simple chip would have slowed down rush from Heyward without preventing Motor from still going out into his route as checkdown. That millisecond would've allowed Josh to get pass off without being hit. That's just my observation 

i agree.  whatever the play was, you cant allow a rusher, esp Heyward, to just go by you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1