How we can still get a first round bye? critical paths

ok, after KC beating the Fins a first round bye for us is going to have only a 1-2% probability - but here are the narrow paths  - let us say we have to win our last 3 games to get to 13-3. Basically we are in Dalton to Boyd Hail Mary territory - but, hey that did happen, no?

a. KC loses their last three and Pitt loses at least one game and Browns lose at least one game - we are tied with Pitt (hold tiebreaker) at worst

b. more realistically, let us say KC beats Atlanta but loses the other two (Saints and Chargers) - we are both 13-3 but they hold head to head tie break over us -  then Pittsburgh needs to get to 13-3 so it is a 3 way tie break - which means Pittsburgh needs to win 2 and lose one (say, Colts).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Aside from the Jets there aren't two teams I trust less to go into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs than the Chargers and Falcons.  Not saying it can't happen but those two teams have made an art form out of losing tragically this year.  Yesterday they played one another and just traded turnovers in the last 2:00 until the Chargers finally acquiesced to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Aside from the Jets there aren't two teams I trust less to go into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs than the Chargers and Falcons.  Not saying it can't happen but those two teams have made an art form out of losing tragically this year.  Yesterday they played one another and just traded turnovers in the last 2:00 until the Chargers finally acquiesced to win.

The Chargers almost beat the Chiefs this season, no? They have pretty much played the Chiefs the best. And this season - there really is no home field - Arrowhead is not really rocking

That doesn’t detract from the fact that the joint probability of KC losing to both Saints and Chargers and the Bills winning out and Steelers winning 2 out of 3 is low. But by itself, I don’t think Lynn  playing for his job and beating the Chiefs is improbable. Especially this season with COVID hanging over players’ heads. lose a couple of key players and anything can happen

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

The Chargers almost beat the Chiefs this season, no? They have pretty much played the Chiefs the best. And this season - there really is no home field - Arrowhead is not really rocking

That doesn’t detract from the fact that the joint probability of KC losing to both Saints and Chargers and the Bills winning out and Steelers winning 2 out of 3 is low. But by itself, I don’t think Lynn  playing for his job and beating the Chiefs is improbable. Especially this season with COVID hanging over players’ heads. lose a couple of key players and anything can happen

Yeah divisional games tend to be closer.  But I think the more Lynn plays for his job the dumber he gets.  The shine on Herbert has also worn off the last 3 games, presumably as teams have gotten more tape.  We shall see!

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bills win out 

KC loses 2 or more 3 would be best Steelers end with same record or worse than Buffalo 🦬 

u basically summarized what I said but used 10% of the words! Kudos on the efficiency. one minor edit to your brief post - if we are tied with KC, steelers can’t have worse record since we lose the tiebreak.

26 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

u basically summarized what I said but used 10% of the words! Kudos on the efficiency. one minor edit to your brief post - if we are tied with KC, steelers can’t have worse record since we lose the tiebreak.

i post a lot

but

in as few words as possible

Correct KC needs 3 losses.  

Buffalo and Pitt same record Bills get the tiebreaker 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

ok, after KC beating the Fins a first round bye for us is going to have only a 1-2% probability - but here are the narrow paths  - let us say we have to win our last 3 games to get to 13-3. Basically we are in Dalton to Boyd Hail Mary territory - but, hey that did happen, no?

a. KC loses their last three and Pitt loses at least one game and Browns lose at least one game - we are tied with Pitt (hold tiebreaker) at worst

b. more realistically, let us say KC beats Atlanta but loses the other two (Saints and Chargers) - we are both 13-3 but they hold head to head tie break over us -  then Pittsburgh needs to get to 13-3 so it is a 3 way tie break - which means Pittsburgh needs to win 2 and lose one (say, Colts).

Most realistic path for this left is the Chiefs dropping two to the Chargers and Saints and the Steelers dropping one more to anyone but probably Cleveland. Then we win out and tie and we get the 1 seed with our strength of schedule.

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Most realistic path for this left is the Chiefs dropping two to the Chargers and Saints and the Steelers dropping one more to anyone but probably Cleveland. Then we win out and tie and we get the 1 seed with our strength of schedule.

Ok that is very similar to my scenario b.except the Steelers lose to Browns instead of Colts.The only issue is that if that happens and the Brownies win tonight -they may join the 13-3 party and I didn’t want to get into 4 team tie-break scenarios

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ok that is very similar to my scenario b.except the Steelers lose to Browns instead of Colts.The only issue is that if that happens and the Brownies win tonight -they may join the 13-3 party and I didn’t want to get into 4 team tie-break scenarios

Would that be a 4 way tie or a 3 way tie with whoever wins the 2 way tie?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The 1 seed is unrealistic and undeserved. The 2 seed is realistic and deserved. I think it's going to happen.

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t even mind missing out on the first round bye. As long as they can rest the starters in week 17. Make it like a preseason game. 

Seems highly unlikely that seeding won't be in play.