What is the obsession with teams going for 4th downs early in games in red zone?

zow2

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Coaches realize they are more likely to convert 4th and 2's than not.  Do that twice a game and it's 14 points over 6.  It's a calculated chance they think is in their favor.

even if you fail one time, you have 7 instead of 6

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Coaches realize they are more likely to convert 4th and 2's than not.  Do that twice a game and it's 14 points over 6.  It's a calculated chance they think is in their favor.

Yet in the 49ers game we drove the length of the field and went for it and got nothing followed by the 49ers driving the length of the field, go for it and get nothing.   And as far as not being able to win if you kick FGs it seems we won a game this year with 5 or 6 FGs.

It depends on the situation.  I agree with the OP that tied 0-0 with 10:00 to play in first quarter is not a good time.  A miss fires up the other team and takes the wind out of our team's sails.

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

I'm too conservative to be a modern day coach... The key is early in games.  If my team scratches and claws it's way down to the 7 yards line, and it's 4th and 2 with 10 minutes to go in the FIRST Qtr, I kick the chip shot FG.  Just take the points.  All these NFL games seem to come down to 3-6 point margins.   So many clubs this year are blowing off the easy 3 and getting nothing.  

I would start going for 4th downs, if necessary, in the 2nd half when my team is down and the situation (momentum) is critical. 

Thankfully McDermott has made the right decision more often than not recently.

Because you can't trust FG kickers anymore 

54 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Yet in the 49ers game we drove the length of the field and went for it and got nothing followed by the 49ers driving the length of the field, go for it and get nothing.   And as far as not being able to win if you kick FGs it seems we won a game this year with 5 or 6 FGs.

It depends on the situation.  I agree with the OP that tied 0-0 with 10:00 to play in first quarter is not a good time.  A miss fires up the other team and takes the wind out of our team's sails.

Except for last weeks game against SF when we went for it on 4th on the opening drive. Then we dominated SF most of the game after that.

• Like (+1) 1