completely crazy NFL story I was unaware of - Vikings snow game in 1969

dave mcbride

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup, nine point lead in the fourth quarter pissed away...the recently departed Jake Scott with two INTs.

58 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No, used his True Value Hardware life preserver.  Summerall has got highlights to call here!

I mean that could be used as comic relief...it is so hilarious how he deadpans that like it is a normal occurrence and then immediately transitions to "it was a tough act to follow but the Vikings and 49ers didn't disappoint and put on a show of their own." 

Hahahaha...I have watched this at least 10 times and laugh every time at how he just is totally matter of fact about the whole thing. Kid rides hot air balloon out of the stadium...gets dumped in icy river...move along...nothing to see here...back to the game...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When I saw the title I thought of a totally different Vikings snow game:  I was at the 12/20/75 season finale at Rich Stadium. The Bills lost 35-13 and the fans got pretty unruly in the stands.  Spectators started throwing snowballs at the Vikings bench.  After the game Bud Grant was livid & blasted Buffalo's fans.  Well the next week the Vikings had a home playoff game and someone threw a bottle at the ref's head.  For some reason I felt happy that the very next week Grant's own fans proved themselves to be worse than the Bills fans Grant was so angry at.  

I recall many years ago that my Dad told the story of being at the game and that Chuck Foreman got hit in the eye through his facemask by a snowball.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I mean that could be used as comic relief...it is so hilarious how he deadpans that like it is a normal occurrence and then immediately transitions to "it was a tough act to follow but the Vikings and 49ers didn't disappoint and put on a show of their own." 

Hahahaha...I have watched this at least 10 times and laugh every time at how he just is totally matter of fact about the whole thing. Kid rides hot air balloon out of the stadium...gets dumped in icy river...move along...nothing to see here...back to the game...

Did you watch the second link, where the now-grown up kid talks about worrying whether the balloon was going to hit the 2000-degree stadium lights?