Tonight exposed again we need a no1 back

On 10/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, jlgarsh said:

They should sign Bell. They have nothing to lose. Really need an LB too though

They would lose self respect, team chemistry and millions of dollars.

Bell is awful. He was in a perfect and rare situation at Pitt which doesnt exist anymore.

Our running game will get back on track, Mongo is a huge upgrade over Spencer Long and Moss hasn't really had a chance to groove yet.  Gotta be patient.

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Bell is awful. He was in a perfect and rare situation at Pitt which doesnt exist anymore.

Our running game will get back on track, Mongo is a huge upgrade over Spencer Long and Moss hasn't really had a chance to groove yet.  Gotta be patient.

I’m not advocating signing him but Bell is not awful.  I think he’s still the best pass-catching RB in the league and he might be worth signing for that aspect alone.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And the Bills QB was averaging 9 yards per attempt and the Titans were down Adoree Jackson at CB and their best DL.    

Daboll played away from the Bills offensive strength when he certainly didn't need to.

And he seemingly failed to take into account that the Bills defense was beleaguered coming into the game and really needed a night of just rushing the passer and keeping pass plays in front of them.   You do that by putting points on the board, not trying to execute 12 play drives.

Just a stupid and out of touch gameplan.    Like I said.........reminiscent of the Thursday night game versus the Jets in 2017.   These mid-week games are something that McD and company have to figure out.  

I am going to challenge you here. The LAST thing Daboll wanted was 12-play drives. Watch the Simms video that Thurman posted. The big plays just weren’t there given the scheme TN was running. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am going to challenge you here. The LAST thing Daboll wanted was 12-play drives. Watch the Simms video that Thurman posted. The big plays just weren’t there given the scheme TN was running. 

I was specifically talking about the beginning of the game...........the typically "scripted" portion...........and while I know that Daboll isn't actually trying to grind out 12 play drives you need to know that that's what it's going to take if you are trying to run the ball when it's your offensive weakness.

They lost this game in the first few drives by playing against their strength.    

As I said in an earlier post.......once they dug themselves a deficit and went empty backfield the Titans just stayed back and took away the big play opportunities.   

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was specifically talking about the beginning of the game...........the typically "scripted" portion...........and while I know that Daboll isn't actually trying to grind out 12 play drives you need to know that that's what it's going to take if you are trying to run the ball when it's your offensive weakness.

As I said in an earlier post.......once they dug themselves a deficit and went empty backfield the Titans just stayed back and took away the big play opportunities.   

lol.  The scripted plays consisted of a pass (that would have been a first down) bouncing off of the receivers hands for an INT- and then a TD drive...  Please.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Titans were playing coverage from the get-go with a cover-two shell. You should be able to run against that type of defense with ease, particularly given that they had been giving up 5.8 yards per rush going into that game. Tuesday the Bills found out that they are in fact a really bad rushing team. Hence the pursuit of Bell, a significant upgrade over what they have. If they don't get Bell, I won't be surprised if we see more of Yeldon going forward given that he's actually a good receiver. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

lol.  The scripted plays consisted of a pass (that would have been a first down) bouncing off of the receivers hands for an INT- and then a TD drive...  Please.

Typically the first 12-15 plays are scripted.  

You are talking about play #3.  

But yes by that point they should have tossed that sh*tty script.   

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They should have been at the 45 yard line after 3 plays. That's not bad! Unfortunately a non-receiver playing receiver was the target of the play.

I'm talking about play three, and then the entirety of their second drive which ended in a TD.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:04 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

We have one.  His name is Devin Singletary.  We don't run him enough, and when we do, there is no hole for him to run through.  Thurman Thomas in his prime couldn't get yards behind this OL.

Singletary has been an issue this year

4 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I have to disagree. Bell would take this offence to another level. Singletary and Moss aren’t near the back Bell is. Our culture can handle his personality.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Titans were playing coverage from the get-go with a cover-two shell. You should be able to run against that type of defense with ease, particularly given that they had been giving up 5.8 yards per rush going into that game. Tuesday the Bills found out that they are in fact a really bad rushing team. Hence the pursuit of Bell, a significant upgrade over what they have. If they don't get Bell, I won't be surprised if we see more of Yeldon going forward given that he's actually a good receiver. 

And yet receivers were running open all over the field.   

And the Bills QB is an MVP candidate who has done well with short to intermediate throws for the past 2 seasons and excels at buying time that breaks down coverage discipline.

The second highlighted point from your post is the key to me...........the fact that they didn't realize that they have fundamental issues with their run game when it's been as clear as day for 4 games.   That is the heart of the issue.    

It's why Daboll had a bad script.

You are basically arguing against and supporting my point at the same time.

The script indicated that they really weren't terribly surprised by what the Titans chose to do defensively.

They just tried to call plays that in theory "should" work rather than just do what they do best on early downs.

It's a problem I have had with Daboll for some time.........he seems to live for the "gotcha" plays.

On his bad days he is just hunting a pecking thru his play sheet.

When you have an offense that can impose its will the way the Bills can when Allen drops back...........not doing so is like the early 90's Bills deciding they don't want to run screens because the opposing defense has it on tape.  If Allen is being accurate it's really hard to take away the passing game from him because he can buy so much time and make throws so few can.  

On 10/14/2020 at 12:08 AM, Freak-O said:

The O-line does quite well when it comes to pass protection, but as soon as we try to run the ball it feels like trying to run through a wall.

I suspect that was the prime directive this past off season.  Get pass blocking so Allen doesn't need to run for his life every time he drops back to pass.  IMO, pass blocking is one thing.  But run blocking requires a lot more speed, quickness, and overall skill.  

22 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm talking about play three, and then the entirety of their second drive which ended in a TD.

You are talking about throwing on third down.........after two unnecessary and ineffective run plays.

If you think Daboll had a good game plan then just say so..........there is a whole thread dedicated to how his greatness is going to lead to him becoming a HC next season and undermining the Bills offense.

In reality.........nobody liked the Daboll game plan..........you just want to argue with me.

You are talking about throwing on third down.........after two unnecessary and ineffective run plays.

If you think Daboll had a good game plan then just say so..........there is a whole thread dedicated to how his greatness is going to lead to him becoming a HC next season and undermining the Bills offense.

In reality.........nobody liked the Daboll game plan..........you just want to argue with me.

You said the scripted plays lost the game.

I simply pointed out that the scripted plays consisted of a fluke interception off of the WR's hands while moving the ball, and then a 15 play TD drive.

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They should have been at the 45 yard line after 3 plays. That's not bad! Unfortunately a non-receiver playing receiver was the target of the play.

OK but real talk.........they had only gained 6 yards after 2 plays and after 3 plays the Titans were at the BILLS 16 yard line.

It was a bad game plan.   Admit it.

8 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

You said the scripted plays lost the game.

I simply pointed out that the scripted plays consisted of a fluke interception off of the WR's hands while moving the ball, and then a 15 play TD drive.

Yes, in hindsight the bad start during the scripted portion of the game decreased their chance of winning the game greatly.    They lost the turnover battle for the game 3 plays in.   Teams that win the turnover margin in a game win 78% of the time.      

You can argue against my larger point about momentum but turnovers kill you and that turnover was set up by the Titans getting the Bills into a 3rd and no-way-they-run-the-ball.    

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

OK but real talk.........they had only gained 6 yards after 2 plays and after 3 plays the Titans were at the BILLS 16 yard line.

No, there's no way I'm admitting it was a bad game plan specifically because they "emphasized" the run on only the first two plays of the game. Come on. It's just two plays.

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As it happens, in each of the past four games, the Bills ran the ball on their first play, and vs. Miami the first two plays were handoffs to Singletary.