Jordan Phillips has been missed

I feel like we got some decent pressure last night at times... after rewatching the game we were close several times. Tannehill just got rid of the ball quick alot... Alot of these timely penalties and third and shorts killed us. Tannehill was in favorable positions all night not having to compensate with third and long and that killed us too. Hes just a very fast processing quarterback and I give him credit.

I think Edmonds is getting exposed with not having guys like Star and Phillips...  Edmund's can plug those gaps when he has room and a split second to diag. the play. He doesn't have that luxury this year and is basically just taking himself out of the play. He never played MLB so he doesn't have elite MLB instincts... and this plus the penalties got us into alot of third and shorts last night.

To fix this problem... this upcoming draft we need to draft two beast DTs early to fix Edmund's. I believe McBeane sees this and they will make it a priority this off season. We just have to deal with it this year, and lean on offense to carry us. 

19 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Star also got a lot of hate but his value is also showing currently.

Yeah but Star rarely played on passing downs, same with Lorax

19 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I think there was some hubris on the part of Beane in not bringing back Phillips or Shaq Lawson, as if the defensive line is just a plug and play situation where middling FA signings can be slotted in and there won't be a difference.  

While I agree with your overall thought, the guys they replaced tended to be middling too.  The Bills whole line concept for a couple years now is we're not signing any superstars, but  we're going to be able to roll 8 strong players so by the time we're in the 4th quarter, the other team will be tired and we'll win the battles

Can recall much was written how about half of Phillips sacks were the result of him being in the right place at the right time rather than a great play by him so hard to determine, is it him or not.

19 hours ago, Mango said:

Sorry, was not clear enough. I posted elsewhere that Hughes may have lost a step, not crazy just not quite the same. Hughes is still a productive DE. But when I say he lost a step, I mean he can't be "the guy" anymore, not without some help in the interior, which he does not have. He isn't at a place where he is a situational guy like Lorax last year either. Hughes can still be VERY disruptive with some help at the DT position. Still a guy that very much needs to be accounted for. 

He is not good enough at the moment to be our only pass rush threat regularly. 

I'd feel better about it if he was at least maintaining the edge. 

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Jordan Phillips made players but he played out of position many times allow opposing teams to make plays. Jordan Phillips would not help here but just be another player out of position.

I'm torn on this view due to where football is going in terms of how defenses operate. 

You stop a team with big plays.  It increasingly tougher and tougher to simply stop a team from getting 10 yards in 3 plays, but if a guy like Phillips is out of position and gives up a 20 yard run, but then on the next set of downs get a TFL or sack, that provides us a much better shot at ending that drive.

That said... i'm not upset we didn't pay him.  Only so much $$ to go around.

Edited by SCBills

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm torn on this view due to where football is going in terms of how defenses operate. 

You stop a team with big plays.  It increasingly tougher and tougher to simply stop a team from getting 10 yards in 3 plays, but if a guy like Phillips is out of position and gives up a 20 yard run, but then on the next set of downs get a TFL or sack, that provides us a much better shot at ending that drive.

That said... i'm not upset we didn't pay him.  Only so much $$ to go around.

Several of Phillips sacks were lawson doing it.  His loss hurts too.  Addison plays the other side, and murphy's struggled this year to the point that hughes is now splitting time on his off side.  He doesn't look particularly comfortable doing it either.

I was hoping they would bring him back because of what he brought to the team seemed to be a great emotional leader & great on the field i just hope the chemistry can become better between the new guys that were brought in and they get it together during the end of the year .