What happens if you flip flop Darnold and Allen?

Think about it. Darnold came out of USC much, much more refined and ready to play in the NFL. 

His problem was he was drafted by the Jests!  GM Mike Mccagnan/HC Todd Bowles drafted Darnold and that years team went 4-12 mostly because their defense was 29th points,  25th yards- offense was 23rd points, 29th yards.

Meanwhile Buffalo went 6-10 because the offense was horrid at #30th overall. Bills defense was 18th points allowed but 4th in yards allowed. The Bills retained their same staff except for OQ coach, O line coach, WR coach. 

The Jests fired Bowles after that 2018 season and hired Ole googly eyes and he hired renowned OC Dowell Loggains...

Simply put the Jets have changed their offense and depleted their entire roster of talent. Who does Darnold have to throw to? Crowder? We all saw what happened In Buffalo with Josh only having Brown and Beasley and needing that star #1 WR. Darnold doesn't even have a Brown, Beasley much less that star #1 WR. His RB is Frank Gore who was burned out in Buffalo last season by week 6. 30+players on their Injury report.

Bottom Line, I'd say Allen would be forced to play "hero" ball every game, almost every play on the Jets. I kinda doubt he would even be able to stay off IR. The Jets would still be a bad team as they lack so much talent all over their roster. 

However, I also doubt Sam Darnold would be doing in Buffalo what Josh Allen is doing as he simply doesn't have the arm to make so many of those Allen rockets. Buffalo would still be a good team with Darnold at QB because they are loaded with talent.

Sucks for Darnold because the Jets are so bad they will probably fire Gase during this season, get the chance to draft Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence #1 overall in the 2021 NFL draft.  

Well 2 years ago Josh Allen was in a similar situation. He had a horrendous offense. McKenzie, Benjamin, and Foster were his 3 top recievers. He still played decent despite that. Obviously he wouldnt be in MVP race but i think Josh Allen would make Jets competitive at the very least

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I really think this is true.  From day 1 - Josh has fought and worked with teammates and they all talk about their respect for him.  He will run through a wall - so the least I can do is run with him.  Josh really seems to fit with his teammates and they accepted him and that was huge because they did not have to.  Much like Fitz - Josh seems to have a natural ability to just bring out the best in those around him (both offense and defense).

Josh has worked hard each off season and he really seems intent on honing parts of his craft each off season and I believe that work combined with the stability and growth here has allowed him to blossom.

Darnold I believe has always been a top dog.  He has just infinite talent and has never had to work hard to be great.  His teammates always played for him, but you do not see that camaraderie.  I also think he is a hard worker, but he has many traits already ingrained because he has been doing this since junior high.  He had specialized camps and practices and everything you could ever want and therefore I think he takes for granted how to break it all down and build himself back up.

The last thing is that desire and want to.  Josh has had to work for everything - trying to play college ball - sending thousands of letters trying to get noticed - a desire to get better with limited talent around him.  He worked and fought all along.  Darnold just does not have that - he got the best of everything- training, then scholarship to USC and the talent there.  I think those experiences define each player.

Darnold had everything to be great - now he needs coaching and a team to bring back the desire.

Allen was super raw, but worked his butt off to make himself into something and his teammates see that and respond.

I don’t feel like Darnold would of thrived here - even with the staff - I see to much Rob Johnson in him and I think the fan base would have been all over him.

Spot on. 

Even the defense is all in on Josh. They just gush about his work ethic and leadership.  Josh has that swagger to him I call the IT factor. Like he said,  he wants it more than the next man and his actions back those words. 

And ya , Darnold is like that high school kid where everything came easy, 5 star recruit ,gets to D1 level and thinks his natural ability can allow him to slack off and gets surpassed by the 2 star recruit that worked his ass off and wants it more. Essentially,  that 5 star recruit peaked in high school.  Darnold peaked in college.  Josh still hasn't peaked!

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's true.  But if you watch a few Allen "candid" style interviews and background pieces, you get a pretty rapid picture that's something Allen himself brings with him, just as Fitzpatrick does.   Even in a few minute interview, he finds a couple ways to personally relate and show that he's interested in the interviewer, and he makes them laugh. 

I totally underestimated the importance of that kind of "relationship building" IT factor pre-draft in 2018.  Now mind you, it won't get you there without the physical skills.

Try to reconcile that with the notion that football is the ultimate team game, and that it takes 11 guys pulling together to get it done.  Hint: you can't.

Would Mahomes on the Jets look better than Darnold?  Sure.  Would the Jets have a few more wins?  Sure.  A playoff team?  You're funny!

The Jets would definitely be a playoff team if they had Mahomes.  Look at Tampa Bay.  Went from bottom feeders in NFC south last year  to a playoff caliber team because of Tommy.

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

The Jets would definitely be a playoff team if they had Mahomes.  Look at Tampa Bay.  Went from bottom feeders in NFC south last year  to a playoff caliber team because of Tommy.

WAAAAAAY too simplistic an analysis.  Tampa Bay was 7-9 last season, tied with the Falcons for 2nd place in the NFC south.

Tampa Bay had a mid-pack D on yards given up and a bottom-dwelling D on points given up.  When you see that, there's usually one reason:  Offensive turnovers.   In this case, a league-leading, mind-blowing 30 interceptions to 33 TD.

They have the return of a proven coach in Arians and a good defensive mind in Bowles.  They have pro-bowl WR in Mike Evans and Chris Godwin and a solid RB in Jones.

They have talent on defense too.

If that doesn't convince you, riddle me this: why would Tommy boy go to a team that was "bottom feeders" in talent?  Answer: he didn't.  He went to a team where he felt QB was the missing piece, and he could walk in, turn the key and drive.

What comparable talent do you think the NYJ have?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I just don’t think so.  Mahomes had a ton of questions coming out and went to the perfect team.  

Just like if Buffalo had drafted him - the Jets with Todd Bowles and no real offense.  Mahomes would be little better than Darnold.  

What makes Mahomes great is the Andy Reid system along with a ton of offensive talent.  That allowed him to grow and mature.  The stability and consistency - along with his work ethic made him a difference maker. 

I firmly believe that if Mahomes had gone to Buffalo with Tyrod or the Jets - he is just a shell of what he currently is.  

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think you saw what it would be when you threw Josh out there his rookie year with no support.  He can play Superman and put a team on his back.   He’s a football player first and a QB second.  Darnold has never shown me that kind of killer ability.  That said, I would have drafted Darnold before Allen too because he looked to be the better QB prospect.  I think on this team you are looking at Darnold as a possible pro bowler and probably 3-1 record as I don’t see Darnold leading the win with the Rams.  Allen probably has 2 wins with the Jets, he has been a difference maker his whole career (sometimes not in the best of ways lol).  Darnold still could shake out as a very good QB, if the Jets ever surround him with some talent / he leaves.  

The Bills hung Allen out to dry as a rookie, he was “meh”.  They built up around him, he looks really good.  The Jets hung Darnold out to dry, he’s dehydrated..  it’s a tough comparison.

Agree 100%

• Like (+1) 1

even with the dumpster fire team in 2018 Allen showed flashes of special ability This years Jets team is not far off from the Bills 2018 team i terms of talent  Darnold doesnt have any special attributes that wow you and still continues to have way too many turnovers