Breaking news: Dawkins signs four year deal worth $60 mill

BillsMafi$

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Fair enough.  We'll know in the next few months.  

If the Bills extend his contract, we will know when we see the contract. 

If they exercise the fifth-year option, it will probably mean White wants top dollar and the Bills were reluctant to give it to him.  

They exercised the option. That already happened. That is normal practice you have to make an option decision after year 3 and then normally you do the extension after year 4. If he ever plays on the option (ie. Goes into year 5 without a deal) then the Bills are letting him walk. 

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

Seems to already be happening.  Never thought I'd see him spend almost $15M on an OG.

That is the tag though. There seem a lot of tagged players who didn't get deals done this year because of the uncertainty. He hasn't handed that guy that deal. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is the tag though. There seem a lot of tagged players who didn't get deals done this year because of the uncertainty. He hasn't handed that guy that deal. 

I have no doubt they approached him was a far lower offer and he refused.  But that's what he'll be making this year.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have no doubt they approached him was a far lower offer and he refused.  But that's what he'll be making this year.

Sure but I doubt that constitutes a pattern. Players being less willing to take discounts to play there? Yep. But I am not sure Thuney is an example of that so much as he is an example of the affect covid has had on tagged players. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure but I doubt that constitutes a pattern. Players being less willing to take discounts to play there? Yep. But I am not sure Thuney is an example of that so much as he is an example of the affect covid has had on tagged players. 

That's what I've been saying.  And if they couldn't get Thuney to take a hometown discount and had to resort to tagging him...

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's what I've been saying.  And if they couldn't get Thuney to take a hometown discount and had to resort to tagging him...

They tagged him and then would have signed him in most years. A lot of tagged guys went unsigned this year. Think that is the circumstances of covid not an indication about the Patriots new normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, Shaw66 said:

I am not "absolutely convinced," of my view, particularly when I hear your view.   

My guess is that he will stay with the Bills but he will not reset the market in the way that mean.  That is, I think White will take a deal that is some measure team-friendly and will not become the unquestionable highest or second highest paid corner.  

You don't think Tre IF he has another monster year in 2020 is going to at least get 17 million aav? Because right now the highest paid corner is 16.7 million aav. I think Tre depending on how good his 2020 is and how the Bills structure his deal will be around 9.5% of the cap which will depending on the cap will be between 17.5-19.5 million aav. The corner market will be set by Tre in some form. The question is by how much?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You don't think Tre IF he has another monster year in 2020 is going to at least get 17 million aav? Because right now the highest paid corner is 16.7 million aav. I think Tre depending on how good his 2020 is and how the Bills structure his deal will be around 9.5% of the cap which will depending on the cap will be between 17.5-19.5 million aav. The corner market will be set by Tre in some form. The question is by how much?

I agree that Tre will be the highest paid CB in the league when he signs.

I'm thinking (and hoping) it will only be a small increase over the previous high.

I don't think he is the kind of guy that needs to see a big jump.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree that Tre will be the highest paid CB in the league when he signs.

I'm thinking (and hoping) it will only be a small increase over the previous high.

I don't think he is the kind of guy that needs to see a big jump.

What are you basing this on? I like Tre and think he is top 2-3 CB’s in the game. Nothing I have seen says he will be giving home team discounts. Just my gut, but if the Bills want to keep Tre; it’s going to be because he is the highest paid and probably by whatever is the standard increase, if there is one. I also think Beane will get it done if Sean wants it done. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What are you basing this on? I like Tre and think he is top 2-3 CB’s in the game. Nothing I have seen says he will be giving home team discounts. Just my gut, but if the Bills want to keep Tre it’s going to be wanting to be highest paid and probably by whatever is the standard increase, if there is one. I also think Beane will get it done if Sean wants it done. 

That is pretty much what i said.  ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

That is pretty much what i said.  ?

Pretty close. I think some fans see Tre like Dawkins, this isn’t going to be the case. Tre is waiting because he believes every year he waits means a bigger deal. The new adjusted salary cap is going to make everything interesting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Dawkins contract came in today on Spotrac.

6 million jump in 2020 cap hit front loaded.

I like it!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/dion-dawkins-21805/

Thanks for posting this @ColoradoBills, I hadn't seen this elsewhere! Man this front office just continues to get me through these strange times we're living in!

Increasing the cap hit in 2020 when we have the extra room makes too much sense and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the contract is 4 yrs/$58.3 million which is $1.7 less than initially reported. Every little bit helps, keep it going Beane!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Thanks for posting this @ColoradoBills, I hadn't seen this elsewhere! Man this front office just continues to get me through these strange times we're living in!

Increasing the cap hit in 2020 when we have the extra room makes too much sense and correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the contract is 4 yrs/$58.3 million which is $1.7 less than initially reported. Every little bit helps, keep it going Beane!

I have been curious about it so I have been checking Spotrac every day and it just came in.

Yes it is a little under but he has a bunch of incentives he will likely hit to increase it to the 60 million.

Just a personal thing, I find the money side of football interesting.  Beane has said he wants to build a competitive team for the

long haul and IMO contracts like these proves it.  He's not pushing contract out in the future that could cause problems signing other players.

I think it's not only responsible for the team and the fans but for the players too! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I have been curious about it so I have been checking Spotrac every day and it just came in.

Yes it is a little under but he has a bunch of incentives he will likely hit to increase it to the 60 million.

Just a personal thing, I find the money side of football interesting.  Beane has said he wants to build a competitive team for the

long haul and IMO contracts like these proves it.  He's not pushing contract out in the future that could cause problems signing other players.

I think it's not only responsible for the team and the fans but for the players too! 

step brothers ryan GIF

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Dawkins contract came in today on Spotrac.

6 million jump in 2020 cap hit front loaded.

I like it!

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/dion-dawkins-21805/

Yeah, figured he got some new money this year, making it really a 5-year (and judging by the numbers on Spotrac) $59.631M deal, which is a little lower than I thought and puts him at 14th in the league.  Nice work BB!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, figured he got some new money this year, making it really a 5-year (and judging by the numbers on Spotrac) $59.631M deal, which is a little lower than I thought and puts him at 14th in the league.  Nice work BB!

Definitely, and a nice job by Dion and his agent.  All these decent contracts need compromise and that seems like a good thing to me.