New York State Taking Down the Corrupt and Vile NRA

National Rifle Assocation CEO Wayne LaPierre is accused of charging personal expenses to the gun rights group.
National Rifle Assocation CEO Wayne LaPierre is accused of charging personal expenses to the gun rights group. (J. Lawler Duggan/For The Washington Post)
August 6, 2020 at 11:42 a.m. EDT
Add to list

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

In her lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James called for the dissolution of the NRA and the removal of CEO Wayne LaPierre from the leadership post he has held for the past 39 years, saying he and others used the group’s funds to finance a luxury lifestyle.

She also asked a New York court to force LaPierre and three key deputies to repay NRA members for the ill-gotten funds and inflated salaries that her investigation found they took.

James accused the NRA leaders of flouting state and federal laws and signing off on reports and statements they knew were fraudulent, while diverting millions of dollars away from the NRA’s charitable mission to benefit themselves and their allies.

The attorney general requested that the court bar the four men — LaPierre, general counsel John Frazer, former treasurer Woody Phillips and former chief of staff Josh Powell — from ever serving in a leadership position for a New York charity in the future.

“The NRA’s influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets,” James, a Democrat, said in a statement.

Her investigation, which began in February 2019, found a “a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement, and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive, and fraudulent,” according to a statement by the attorney general’s office.

Her lawsuit paints a picture of widespread wrongdoing at the influential gun rights group, and a freewheeling atmosphere in which top officials repeatedly took advantage of their positions for their personal benefit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-lapierre-ny-attorney-general/2020/08/06/8e389794-d794-11ea-930e-d88518c57dcc_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-high_nra-1133a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:
National Rifle Assocation CEO Wayne LaPierre is accused of charging personal expenses to the gun rights group.

National Rifle Assocation CEO Wayne LaPierre is accused of charging personal expenses to the gun rights group. (J. Lawler Duggan/For The Washington Post)

August 6, 2020 at 11:42 a.m. EDT
Add to list

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

In her lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James called for the dissolution of the NRA and the removal of CEO Wayne LaPierre from the leadership post he has held for the past 39 years, saying he and others used the group’s funds to finance a luxury lifestyle.

She also asked a New York court to force LaPierre and three key deputies to repay NRA members for the ill-gotten funds and inflated salaries that her investigation found they took.

James accused the NRA leaders of flouting state and federal laws and signing off on reports and statements they knew were fraudulent, while diverting millions of dollars away from the NRA’s charitable mission to benefit themselves and their allies.

The attorney general requested that the court bar the four men — LaPierre, general counsel John Frazer, former treasurer Woody Phillips and former chief of staff Josh Powell — from ever serving in a leadership position for a New York charity in the future.

“The NRA’s influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets,” James, a Democrat, said in a statement.

Her investigation, which began in February 2019, found a “a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement, and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive, and fraudulent,” according to a statement by the attorney general’s office.

Her lawsuit paints a picture of widespread wrongdoing at the influential gun rights group, and a freewheeling atmosphere in which top officials repeatedly took advantage of their positions for their personal benefit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-lapierre-ny-attorney-general/2020/08/06/8e389794-d794-11ea-930e-d88518c57dcc_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-high_nra-1133a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Reminds me of when NYS sued Wegmans for "misleading" coupons in the 90's. If I remember correctly our family got $6 in coupons and the state got $20 million. It is a waste of time and a money grab.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Reminds me of when NYS sued Wegmans for "misleading" coupons in the 90's. If I remember correctly our family got $6 in coupons and the state got $20 million. It is a waste of time and a money grab.

It reminds me that the NRA is totally corrupt. 

Do you send them a check? :) 

11 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

What organization is worse, the NRA, or Planned Parenthood? The NRA has yet to kill anyone but PP has murdered millions, gets subsidized by taxpayers and then donates to liberals

The NRA kills indirectly, while it’s leaders pocket millions corruptly. 

Every cop cop that shoots an unarmed person is afraid because of the NRA and their agenda to flood the nation with guns. 

Cops ops are not all bad, but none want to get shot. The NRA loves spreading that fear 

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The NRA kills indirectly, while it’s leaders pocket millions corruptly. 

Every cop cop that shoots an unarmed person is afraid because of the NRA and their agenda to flood the nation with guns. 

Cops ops are not all bad, but none want to get shot. The NRA loves spreading that fear 

Name one large organization or corporation where the leaders aren't pocketing millions corruptly

Funniest part of this, besides the lawsuit itself, is that for 12 hours prior to the announcement everyone on the left in Social Media was CERTAIN that this announcement was going to be about Trump. "The walls are closing in! We got him this time!"

.... "err.... *****."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It reminds me that the NRA is totally corrupt. 

Do you send them a check? :) 

Tibs I know you will believe anything the State of NY tells while I move out because of was sick of being lied to and treated as a servant of the state. I actually have no idea if the NRA is shady like the Clinton Foundation because I do not give them money, I do not do research unless I plan to give them money. But I do wonder if these guys are so bad why is the only punishment that is being asked for is that the criminals can't run charities in NYS? 

This is total grandstanding.

Suppose every charge is true.

Prosecute the offenders, put them in jail, put the organization under some kind of consent order, or whatever.

Threatening to disband them as the *first* move… That’s ridiculous.

If it now is "open season on Non-Profits" the democrats may not like what they have started.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

What organization is worse, the NRA, or Planned Parenthood? The NRA has yet to kill anyone but PP has murdered millions, gets subsidized by taxpayers and then donates to liberals

loony people call that murder.  Everyone else thinks it’s a medical procedure people are entitled to.  

thank goodness your batshit opinion is literally dying off

20 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

imagine the Clintons being so present in your brain you have to link every news story to them.  

horse face and teeth also, geeeeesh