Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

7 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Notice how they've gone from arguing "for the children!" to "we're not babysitters!"?

as a teacher these tools make my job so much harder in convincing parents my main goal is to help their kids, not get paid. If a parent believes I want to help their kids they help me but if they think I am there for the money they fight me. 

On 7/24/2020 at 9:21 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

What you and your pals here are missing is that telling a student they asked a dumb question is more difficult than it is to not do it.

If you think I just throw that statement out there gratuitously, you're sorely mistaken. I spend a great deal of time building an honest relationship with the students in the classroom.

Once I have that, I can tell them it's a dumb question.

I'm very, very comfortable in my teaching ability. I love the job more and more every year and keep getting better in the classroom.

Define what this honest relationship looks like that allows telling an impressionable child they are dumb without it hurting?  

I sure hope you’re getting better and for the sake of the children in you district better to the point where you realize telling children they are dumb is a horrible way to teach. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

as a teacher these tools make my job so much harder in convincing parents my main goal is to help their kids, not get paid. If a parent believes I want to help their kids they help me but if they think I am there for the money they fight me. 

I would agree that idiots like the LA Teacher's Union making pretty radical demands (that have nothing to do with safety) before they will return to work undercut any legitimate argument that teacher's may have.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

I would agree that idiots like the LA Teacher's Union making pretty radical demands (that have nothing to do with safety) before they will return to work undercut any legitimate argument that teacher's may have.

Yesterday someone emailed me from here to apologize since their tone came off bashing teachers in general, but when our union does the crap it does while "representing" me it is hard not to bash teachers. I am am thankfully not forced to pay for my union and I have not and will not since it is more political than helpful.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Define what this honest relationship looks like that allows telling an impressionable child they are dumb without it hurting?  

I sure hope you’re getting better and for the sake of the children in you district better to the point where you realize telling children they are dumb is a horrible way to teach. 

Reading through Transplant's posts it appears that he is void of any humor. Humor as we all know is often a way to get messages across without being an ass. It seems as if he hasn't figured that out yet. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yesterday someone emailed me from here to apologize since their tone came off bashing teachers in general, but when our union does the crap it does while "representing" me it is hard not to bash teachers. I am am thankfully not forced to pay for my union and I have not and will not since it is more political than helpful.

Just so you all know this wasn't me.  I apologize to no one! 

• Haha (+1) 1

‘This is asinine’: Austin won’t open schools for in-person learning but THIS is safe?!

With schools set to open online-only in Austin, Texas this fall, parents will thankfully have an option to help with all that classwork. . .

As in, they can bring their kids to the same school where they’ll sit in the same classes and have help with their work from a YMCA instructor:

So instead of our tax money going to the public school system it now goes for DAYCARE that works INSTEAD OF SCHOOL because schools won’t open? Seriously this is almost the stupidest thing I’ve seen.

The kicker is that it’s in a school building!!

You see, corona doesn’t infect non-union employees. It’s science

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

‘This is asinine’: Austin won’t open schools for in-person learning but THIS is safe?!

With schools set to open online-only in Austin, Texas this fall, parents will thankfully have an option to help with all that classwork. . .

As in, they can bring their kids to the same school where they’ll sit in the same classes and have help with their work from a YMCA instructor:

So instead of our tax money going to the public school system it now goes for DAYCARE that works INSTEAD OF SCHOOL because schools won’t open? Seriously this is almost the stupidest thing I’ve seen.

The kicker is that it’s in a school building!!

You see, corona doesn’t infect non-union employees. It’s science

This is exactly what is happening in my area in CA. My young son has been going to YMCA day care to play with his friends for the last month. Remote school starts in ~2 weeks. The local YMCA, which is based at his school, will be open and helping the kids connect for their remote classes.

Insanity.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hedge said:

This is exactly what is happening in my area in CA. My young son has been going to YMCA day care to play with his friends for the last month. Remote school starts in ~2 weeks. The local YMCA, which is based at his school, will be open and helping the kids connect for their remote classes.

Insanity.

It’s amazing how many people in @Deranged Rhino gestapo on here live in California...

What a coincidence. 

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How long do we have to live here to be Californian?

Depends upon whether or not you want to become Native Californian. With enough coke, weed and therapy anyone can become a simple Californian. Gaining native status is a little more difficult but with a little extra coke and weed I can supply the certificate. Throw in a good looking hooker or two and I can speed up that process before you can say "***** Newsome". 

44 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Depends upon whether or not you want to become Native Californian. With enough coke, weed and therapy anyone can become a simple Californian. Gaining native status is a little more difficult but with a little extra coke and weed I can supply the certificate. Throw in a good looking hooker or two and I can speed up that process before you can say "***** Newsome". 

So I've been a native for 35 years?  Huh.....