Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

the second an outbreak occurs at a school the entire county will shut down, and then the state government will freak out and shut down. the same parents that advocated for schools to reopen will have panic attacks about their kids 

You can literally see this happening from a million miles away 

You are wrong again, but keep making predictions so I can be confident in what will not happen. Rational people with healthy children understand their kid might get sick, just like the flu or cold. This is less dangerous to children than H1N1 but no liberals discussed shutting down schools then. I am more worried about my own children and students in regards to literally a dozen other things than Covid. I do worry about my parents but then again I am rational and capable of thought.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BillStime said:

the american school system will collapse and fall on its face if it opens up in full this fall. all those underfunded schools in middle america who won't be able to afford PPE for teachers will be hotbeds of covid. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are wrong again, but keep making predictions so I can be confident in what will not happen. Rational people with healthy children understand their kid might get sick, just like the flu or cold. This is less dangerous to children than H1N1 but no liberals discussed shutting down schools then. I am more worried about my own children and students in regards to literally a dozen other things than Covid. I do worry about my parents but then again I am rational and capable of thought.

I don't worry at all about this.  I will not let it control my life.  I don't have kids but my wife is 66 and she really doesn't worry about it either.  My mom is 95 and Covid fears her.  LOL 

Betsy DeVos and distinguished outspoken PPP members - I have a few questions for you:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

• If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a substitute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for substitute pay?

• Substitutes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50. About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

We're not paying them more.

We aren't spending anywhere near the right amount to protect them. And in turn, we are putting ourselves and our kids in danger.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Betsy DeVos and distinguished outspoken PPP members - I have a few questions for you:

• If a teacher tests positive for COVID-19 are they required to quarantine for 2-3 weeks? Is their sick leave covered, paid?

• If that teacher has 5 classes a day with 30 students each, do all 150 of those students need to then stay home and quarantine for 14 days?

• Do all 150 of those students now have to get tested? Who pays for those tests? Are they happening at school? How are the parents being notified? Does everyone in each of those kids' families need to get tested? Who pays for that?

• What if someone who lives in the same house as a teacher tests positive? Does that teacher now need to take 14 days off of work to quarantine? Is that time off covered? Paid?

• Where is the district going to find a substitute teacher who will work in a classroom full of exposed, possibly infected students for substitute pay?

• Substitutes teach in multiple schools. What if they are diagnosed with COVID-19? Do all the kids in each school now have to quarantine and get tested? Who is going to pay for that?

• What if a student in your kid's class tests positive? What if your kid tests positive? Does every other student and teacher they have been around quarantine? Do we all get notified who is infected and when? Or because of HIPAA regulations are parents and teachers just going to get mysterious “may have been in contact” emails all year long?

• What is this stress going to do to our teachers? How does it affect their health and well-being? How does it affect their ability to teach? How does it affect the quality of education they are able to provide? What is it going to do to our kids? What are the long-term effects of consistently being stressed out?

• How will it affect students and faculty when the first teacher in their school dies from this? The first parent of a student who brought it home? The first kid?

• How many more people are going to die, that otherwise would not have if we had stayed home longer?

30% of the teachers in the US are over 50. About 16% of the total deaths in the US are people between the ages of 45-65.

We are choosing to put our teachers in danger.

We're not paying them more.

We aren't spending anywhere near the right amount to protect them. And in turn, we are putting ourselves and our kids in danger.

Quit your whining.  Every other industry in the country has figured these things out.  Our HR has spent hundreds of hours on this.  I was getting emails from my HR director at 9pm and I know she was in when I get in at 7am.  Schools have their unique challenges but it's times like these that the cream rises and these things get worked on and figured out.  You on the other hand likely will hide under your desk and whimper like a baby. 

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

Watch what would happen if people demanded taxes paid for education be 'defunded' 

That’s actually really funny since teachers have to pay for their own supplies and just about everything for their room. Try being a kindergarten teacher - decorate that room each year - and all the creative gifts and packaging to help make their early years special? THOUSANDS go un reimbursed.

Do police officers have to buy their guns? Uniforms? 

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Quit your whining.  Every other industry in the country has figured these things out.  Our HR has spent hundreds of hours on this.  I was getting emails from my HR director at 9pm and I know she was in when I get in at 7am.  Schools have their unique challenges but it's times like these that the cream rises and these things get worked on and figured out.  You on the other hand likely will hide under your desk and whimper like a baby. 

So easy to say when you have no kids, right Jim?

I’m not a teacher - I’m only highlighting a handful of the 100s of questions they have.

Jim, you’re so outspoken and opinionated about what others should do. WTF do you do?  What industry?

Edited by BillStime
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillStime said:

That’s actually really funny since teachers have to pay for their own supplies and just about everything for their room. Try being a kindergarten teacher - decorate that room each year - and all the creative gifts and packaging to help make their early years special? THOUSANDS go unreimbursed.

Do police officers have to buy their guns? Uniforms? 

So easy to say when you have no kids.

I’m not a teacher - I’m only highlighting a handful of the 100s of questions they have.

Jim, you’re so outspoken and opinionated about what others should do. WTF do you do?  What industry?

No it's easy to say when lots have already figured it out.  The fact I have not kids has nothing to do with it.  You whine about the poor teachers.  When restaurants opened back up do you have any clue as to how many people come through a restaurant door.  The staff was dying to get back to work and they came back.   Grocery store workers NEVER stopped working.  The workers at the gym bust their backs keeping it clean and monitoring to make sure we all have masks on the whole time.   

I already told you what I do. I'm a manager.  I'm a problem solver who despises the excuse makers of the world.  It's hard.  I get it.   But I thrive on that *****.  We all had 100's of questions.  We worked tirelessly to come up with answers. The game changes almost every wee so we have to adapt.  Some of the teachers here and the other whiners on the board aren't even trying to work it out.  If you took the time you'd have an answer for almost every question you posed above. 

Edited by Chef Jim

Just now, Chef Jim said:

No it's easy to say when lots have already figured it out.  You whine about the poor teachers.  When restaurants opened back up do you have any clue as to how many people come through a restaurant door.  The staff was dying to get back to work.   Grocery store workers NEVER stopped working.  The workers at the gym bust their backs keeping it clean and monitoring to make sure we all have masks on the whole time.   

I already told you what I do. I'm a manager.  I'm a problem solver who despises the excuse makers of the world.  It's hard.  I get it.   But I thrive on that *****.  

People aren't making excuses... they want answers to their questions.

I missed your initial response. You manage exactly who?  What industry?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillStime said:

People aren't making excuses... they want answers to their questions.

I missed your initial response. You manage exactly who?  What industry?

No they are making excuses as to why schools shouldn't open up.  It's their industry.  They work in it every day.  Figure it out.  There are plenty of guidelines out there to follow.  We followed federal/state/county/city guidelines and we have offices in four states.  It's not perfect and it never will be perfect. Neither will the schools.  And I was editing my post when you replied.  If  you thought a bit you'd be able to answer almost all the questions you posed. 

I manage people.  In what industry is irrelevant.  

Edited by Chef Jim

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

No they are making excuses as to why schools shouldn't open up.  It's their industry.  They work in it every day.  Figure it out.  There are plenty of guidelines out there to follow.  We followed federal/state/county/city guidelines and we have offices in four states.  It's not perfect and it never will be perfect. Neither will the schools.  And I was editing my post when you replied.  If  you thought a bit you'd be able to answer almost all the questions you posed. 

I manage people.  In what industry is irrelevant.  

It's very relevant. What industry? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

It's very relevant. What industry? 

Financial Planning.  And you're right.  It is very relevant now that I think about it.  I do life planning for my clients.  Also it's an industry that is going through major major changes which, not to make light of a pandemic, is almost harder to figure out.  I am loving being involved and on the front lines of what these changes are.  I'm a problem solver. Why I drive you all ***** crazy with the questions I ask.  That's how you solve problems.  Maybe I need to ask the teachers here more questions.  I'll solve all their problems.  :D 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Financial Planning.  And you're right.  It is very relevant now that I think about it.  I do life planning for my clients.  Also it's an industry that is going through major major changes which, not to make light of a pandemic, is almost harder to figure out.  I am loving being involved and on the front lines of what these changes are.  I'm a problem solver. Why I drive you all ***** crazy with the questions I ask.  That's how you solve problems.  Maybe I need to ask the teachers here more questions.  I'll solve all their problems.  :D 

See? That wasn't difficult. We all have clients. Some clients are just more critical than others - our kids.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BillStime said:

See? That wasn't difficult. We all have clients. Some clients are just more critical than others - our kids.

And children are the least affected by this pandemic and the most resilient humans.  Let them go dad.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

A topic not many people talk about sport's in schools. Wondering how they are going to do this.

1that sucks for the kids, they've already missed baseball, basketball, track etc. I think way back when I was a youngin, I couldn't imagine a summer without little league, but not only that these kids use sports to get into college, for some, it's their only shot. Now there's a question of high school and college football even playing. Not good

• Like (+1) 2