Slavery Ended 150 years ago. GET OVER IT!

14 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Slavery tore apart an entire ethnic group's family, sense of justice, morals, means to educate, ties to their homeland, most of their culture, to name a few.

Precisely the things every other ethnic group relied on to pull themselves up by their bootstraps upon coming here.

Then couple that with 100 years of widespread racism in a society unwilling to help.  Then another 55 years or so of slow improvements and here you are today.  Still struggling.

150 years.  That's 3 generations.  Ever look at how alcoholism affects generations of families?  And that's in white people.  But that's why the effects of slavery still influence today.

This was by far the worst ramification of US slavery.   The family lineages and histories were erased in one or two generations (25 yrs, not 50, btw).  You're witnessing the creation of a new culture that's tied to US history, but without the millennial anchor to the old world and traditions.  

This is not discussed a lot, because it also puts the onus on the black families.   The culture was held back by repressive laws until the '60s, but something more sinister sprung up since then, which caused the disintegration of the basic core of all successful cultures - family unit, education & religion.   Without a full dedication to those three, a culture/society doesn't stand a chance.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I wanna see OP say this in real life and see what happens 

What is wrong with him having his opinion? ...and where is this "real life" that you speak of? Would one thing happen, or would many things happen? Would what happens be all good? ...all bad? ...a mixed bag?

14 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

What is wrong with him having his opinion? ...and where is this "real life" that you speak of? Would one thing happen, or would many things happen? Would what happens be all good? ...all bad? ...a mixed bag?

whats wrong? there are plenty of things wrong with telling african americans to "get over" slavery. 

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

whats wrong? there are plenty of things wrong with telling african americans to "get over" slavery. 

Why are you being so vague? Black people are not slaves. Also, they aren't African Americans in my book. They are Americans. You are living in the past.

20 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

There is no benefit in politicians or so-called civil rights leaders or media or even the average joe continually litigating slavery.  As a nation we're not proud that people were enslaved.  It was always wrong.  We were a hypocritical nation then touting freedom and excluding people from it.  Slavery in this country is over though and has been and isn't impacting the lives of anyone because it doesn't happen any longer.  People that continue to view our current society through that prism are doing a disservice to themselves.  It's very divisive and counter-productive. 

I wouldn't use the phrase "get over it".  I'd simply suggest that it's time to move forward.  No apologies are needed as thankfully and rightfully living people are not a party to it or  subjected to it.  We've moved on from more recent atrocities such as WWII.  It's long past time we do the same with slavery. 

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Tiberius?

Tiberius?  Hello?  Your lack of an answer is only going to lead me to draw my own conclusions.  Some English that goes back before the Revolution?  Purchased textiles from New England mills that in turn bought Southern cotton produced by slaves?

Not sure this topic is intellectually fair. 

Maybe. 

I guess maybe it assumes that egalitarianism found its way into meaningful aspects of the black American experience because Northern Aggression won out. 

Didn’t happen that way. 

Brown v Board and it’s progeny started the legal ball really rolling. 

“All deliberate speed” didn’t do anything for the actionability. 

Creative jurisprudence had to use Article 1 Section 8 in the 60s in an expansive [read: textually poor] way so black folks could score a square at a convenience store while traveling and/or get laid in their choice of hotels somewhere along the way. 

That was my mom’s generation. She was proximately impacted by barriers to education, opportunities, etc.

We are about a generation and a half (maybe two) removed from racism being countenanced by the law. Now with that said, it is about time for negroes to get along on their own two feet but it’s not unreasonable to still see vestiges.  

So I both agree and disagree with the op.

He or she just presents it in a myopic way. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Juror#8 said:

Not sure this topic is intellectually fair. 

Maybe. 

I guess maybe it assumes that egalitarianism found its way into meaningful aspects of the black American experience because Northern Aggression won out. 

Didn’t happen that way. 

Brown v Board and it’s progeny started the legal ball really rolling. 

“All deliberate speed” didn’t do anything for the actionability. 

Creative jurisprudence had to use Article 1 Section 8 in the 60s in an expansive [read: textually poor] way so black folks could score a square at a convenience store while traveling and/or get laid in their choice of hotels somewhere along the way. 

That was my mom’s generation. She was proximately impacted by barriers to education, opportunities, etc.

We are about a generation and a half (maybe two) removed from racism being countenanced by the law. Now with that said, it is about time for negroes to get along on their own two feet but it’s not unreasonable to still see vestiges.  

So I both agree and disagree with the op.

He or she just presents it in a myopic way. 

Doubt you'll find too many disagreements with this.  

Unfortunately, offering a frank opinion like this is bound to get you quartered in these times.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2020 at 3:40 PM, Tiberius said:

I'm glad you read my posts. 

But here's the thing. I almost never read yours. You are my poster child of not needing to put anyone on ignore. You are just a pest, yet you never really bother me because I don't consider you worth reading. 

Is this the day that you read my posts regarding my inquiry into your family's background?

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Is this the day that you read my posts regarding my inquiry into your family's background?

You may not know this about "Tiberius" but he changed his name some time back because his old name was too "swampy". Gatorman has disowned Gatorma & Gatorpa. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You may not know this about "Tiberius" but he changed his name some time back because his old name was too "swampy". Gatorman has disowned Gatorma & Gatorpa. 

I figure that his family got real fat and happy during its time here in the colonies then the USA.  If anybody should be writing a reparations check it most likely should be them.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I figure that his family got real fat and happy during its time here in the colonies then the USA.  If anybody should be writing a reparations check it most likely should be them.

I was thinking that maybe I needed a new pair of boots so I could walk all over him wherever I am.