Minnesota Police disbanded

1 hour ago, GG said:

Thanks for confirming that words only matter when they are applied to conservatives?

What else should people assume when the slogans are "disband the police" and "defund the police?"   I'm guess that "Take administrative action to disband the police union and add more cops on the beat" doesn't have the same ring to it, or are you not in step with the leaders of the movement whose public goal is most certainly disbanding the police departments?

The head of the Minneapolis city council said their plan is the disband the current department and to reconstitute a new department organized around better principles.

Other cities want to reduce funding from the police department and shift that money to community supports.

The concept of police abolishment is like a utopia, they both go hand in hand and are not possible and won't happen.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Then why do they call it defunding?  

Playing games with language, changing the meaning of words, is right out of their playbook. 

"Believe all women!" -- uh, until we say so.

"Defund the police!" -- uh, that word doesn't mean what you think it means even though half the people shouting it think it does.

38 minutes ago, Margarita said:

come on man how many infractions did that cop have before he even met George Floyd..? WHY was he still employed is more the question Im curious about. Hmmmm

I know you have a bigger point (and it's valid about Chauvin's record) but Chauvin worked with Floyd for 17 years at a bar nearby the station. He knew the man for a long, long time before this tragedy. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The head of the Minneapolis city council said their plan is the disband the current department and to reconstitute a new department organized around better principles.

Other cities want to reduce funding from the police department and shift that money to community supports.

The concept of police abolishment is like a utopia, they both go hand in hand and are not possible and won't happen.

Then it's up to the movement to come up with coherent proposals behind the catchy slogans, wouldn't you think?

Don't criticize us for questioning the goals of a ruddeless movement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Post reports: “The Democratic legislation, called the Justice in Policing Act of 2020, includes an array of measures aimed at boosting law enforcement accountability, changing police practices and curbing racial profiling.”

The measures include reducing the requirement necessary to hold police officers accountable (lowering the standard needed to pierce the shield of qualified immunity for police officers from “willfulness” to “recklessness”); limiting transfer of military weaponry to police; increasing transparency by creating a national register of police misconduct; banning chokeholds; designing a national standard for use of force; requiring independent investigation of police abuse; ending racial profiling; and granting subpoena power to the civil rights division of the Justice Department for “pattern and practice” investigations.

51 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know you have a bigger point (and it's valid about Chauvin's record) but Chauvin worked with Floyd for 17 years at a bar nearby the station. He knew the man for a long, long time before this tragedy

Latest I've seen is significantly less overlap and possibility of never crossing paths. Might want to look into that further. He didn't even move to Minneapolis until 2014, so definitely not 17 years overlap. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

In my time on this board, it's a consistent truism that the conservative side here is far less likely to toe the line of the party leaders.  There's far more diversity of opinion across the right than the straight parroting of the DNC talking points of the day.

Reforming the police unions (and all public service unions) is not something that the majority would oppose.  But for most people sitting on the sidelines of this mess are watching with intense interest as this movement can't even get its goals aligned.

ahem....agree to disagree that this board isn't overwelmingly Pro Republican/Trump talking points just my view of what I read. To the second this is the Only post Ive read to this effect but again I dont claim to know everyones innermost thoughts on every subject like some people do......

the fact that the goals aren't aligned means the process is in flux do you honestly expect 100% agreeance on something seen as so controversial wether it be breaking up a union or defunding police come on......

1 minute ago, Margarita said:

ahem....agree to disagree that this board isn't overwelmingly Pro Republican/Trump talking points just my view of what I read. To the second this is the Only post Ive read to this effect but again I dont claim to know everyones innermost thoughts on every subject like some people do......

the fact that the goals aren't aligned means the process is in flux do you honestly expect 100% agreeance on something seen as so controversial wether it be breaking up a union or defunding police come on......

Again, it is not up to us to provide an explanation of what the slogans mean. 

The words are pretty clear - Disband the Police and Defund the Police.

I do not see anything that says, Reform the Police or Disband the Police Unions.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

Ah yes. Education.

The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

oh yes lets keep the polulace dumb uninformed and unwilling to learn..........BINGO problems solved. BRILLIANT. I'll match your sarcasm to mine.

From a policing perspective one way to help seperate racism from the equation is to have both white and black police officers working in pairs  with an interchangeable officer in charge status corresponding by color with the person or persons the police are engaging with IMO. Do the same with all ethnic groups and have a police force designed to keep everyone in the community comfortable in their surroundings. 

Myself personally, It wouldn't hurt my feelings If every cop on the planet was of a minority. 

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Again, it is not up to us to provide an explanation of what the slogans mean. 

The words are pretty clear - Disband the Police and Defund the Police.

I do not see anything that says, Reform the Police or Disband the Police Unions.

SMH mind reading and declaring a persons sole intent off of a 2-3 word slogan now thats fooking briliant too. Maybe just MAYBE its a jumping off for discussion and positive changes?

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

SMH mind reading and declaring a persons sole intent off of a 2-3 word slogan now thats fooking briliant too. Maybe just MAYBE its a jumping off for discussion and positive changes?

I'm sure the same courtesy will be applied to the intent off a simple 4 word slogan behind the MAGA acronym?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Playing games with language, changing the meaning of words, is right out of their playbook. 

"Believe all women!" -- uh, until we say so.

"Defund the police!" -- uh, that word doesn't mean what you think it means even though half the people shouting it think it does.

I know you have a bigger point (and it's valid about Chauvin's record) but Chauvin worked with Floyd for 17 years at a bar nearby the station. He knew the man for a long, long time before this tragedy. 

the fact he knew this man makes kneeling on his neck while he was  handcuffed proned out on the ground justified??? im not buying that for a minute. You're really going to defend that cop???

To the first this is a Message board FCOL and again I'll elaborate on what I said just before can all matters of philosophical thought be 100% cut and dried in one instant? I guess only you have that ability SMH

3 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm sure the same courtesy will be applied to the intent off a simple 4 word slogan behind the MAGA acronym?

abso-freakin-lutely

6 minutes ago, Margarita said:

the fact he knew this man makes kneeling on his neck while he was  handcuffed proned out on the ground justified??? im not buying that for a minute. You're really going to defend that cop???

How in the world did you arrive at these conlusions from his post? He didn't defend Chauvin or justify his actions. That is not what his post said.

Actually, I have not seen one post from anyone that even comes close to defending Chauvin or what happened.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

How in the world did you arrive at these conlusions from his post? He didn't defend Chauvin or justify his actions. That is not what his post said.

Actually, I have not seen one post from anyone that even comes close to defending Chauvin or what happened.

•  

what difference does it make that they knew each other.........does that justify what Chauvin did even if he knew Floyd to be a bad actor? bolded is Rhinos post

12 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

In which alternate universe?

so you all mind readers know each and everyone elses every thought regarding donald trump....such great mind readers y'all are.  Why wouldnt everyone want America to be great? This is a rabbit hole that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

Edited by Margarita

1 minute ago, Margarita said:

what difference does it make that they knew each other.........does that justify what Chauvin did even if he knew Floyd to be a bad actor? bolded is Rhinos post

If there was a previous history between the two, it would provide a more clear motive for the grossly unnecessary use of force.  No different than in determining intent in every other murder case. 

Nobody ever excuses a murderer for knowing his victims.  In most cases, it's used to impose a harsher sentence.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

I'm sure he can answer for himself; however, in reading the post, I believe he was saying that the fact that Chauvin had a history of complaints is a valid point, but there could be other motives for Chauvin's actions regarding Floyd. He certainly wasn't defending or justifying what happened, just talking about a possible motivations.

Honestly, you can't arrive where you are at from that post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

If there was a previous history between the two, it would provide a more clear motive for the grossly unnecessary use of force.  No different than in determining intent in every other murder case. 

Nobody ever excuses a murderer for knowing his victims.  In most cases, it's used to impose a harsher sentence.

that reads to me like justification NOT buying it SMH his motives will be decided at court he has ZERO rationale to do what he did in my book...proned out, handcuffed.......come on.......

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm sure he can answer for himself; however, in reading the post, I believe he was saying that the fact that Chauvin had a history of complaints is a valid point, but there could be other motives for Chauvin's actions regarding Floyd. He certainly wasn't defending or justifying what happened, just talking about a possible motivations.

Honestly, you can't arrive where you are at from that post.

other motive other than race but no justification to do it zero zilch NONE

Just now, Margarita said:

that reads to me like justification NOT buying it SMH his motives will be decided at court he has ZERO rationale to do what he did in my book...proned out, handcuffed.......come on.......

Then by this standard, if two people get into an argument and one shoots the other, then pointing out that the argument led to the shooting is excusing the shooter?

Is that what you are saying?

Nobody is excusing Chauvin's actions.  The new information could provide the motive for WHY he used grossly unnecessary force