Clearing up the Expanded Roster stuff (still only 53 on Sept 1)

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Rosters

Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)

Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad

Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players

Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)

Good job bringing this up Major.  I kept hearing posters get it wrong during the draft but didn't want to get into it with anyone.

One thing is that the "elevated" players do not have to clear waivers to go back down after the games.

I like these changes and they were specifically done to increase the value of the PS and increase the "developmental" use of PS.  Teams will have to plan accordingly.

I'm sure Beane and the staff will figure out how to leverage this as much as possible.

One thought I had about these changes is this.  Let's say the Bills have a vet on the last year of his contract (I'll use DiMarco as an example).

They want him for his final year and want to groom a replacement that sits on the PS for a year.  In the past the only way that PS guy would

get a shot would be if the vet got hurt and put on IR.  Now the HC/GM can elevate/activate the PS guy for a game day "audition".

I'm also wondering if the expanded PS will show an increase in QB, Kickers and Punters being developed by teams.  Could be what they

are thinking with a player like K Bass they just drafted.

8 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

So the player can practice with the team and play in game day. 
how is that not the same as being on the 53 man roster?

The only differences I see is that the player doesn’t get full salary and can be signed by another team. 

Teams have to trim down to 53 before the season starts and all the cut players have to clear waivers to get to the PS to start.

After that out of the "pool of players on PS" 2 get activated to the roster and yes they can get poached.

As the season progresses and nagging injuries mount those 2 PS guys get more important plus the idea of "auditions" like I 

mentioned above.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

So IOW, up to 2 players from the PS can be elevated just for game day?

It seems so BUT some of the details have not been discussed enough by the national media yet.

One of the things is there was details given about a single player able to be elevated for 2 "stretches" during the season without

having to clear waivers.  I'm not sure yet if that means only 2 games or 2 "groups" of games.

I'm sure more details will come to light as training camp starts or bored sports writers dig into this now that the draft is over.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's dumb. They should have just increase it.

Yeah it is but from articles I read it was a compromise between the increase to 55 which the players wanted and keeping it at 53

which is what the owners wanted.  Thus the increase in PS roster size and the "game day" elevations.

Reality is HCs and GMs will have to use it to their best of their ability.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yeah it is but from articles I read it was a compromise between the increase to 55 which the players wanted and keeping it at 53

which is what the owners wanted.  Thus the increase in PS roster size and the "game day" elevations.

Oh, boy ...

I guess owners just didn't want to pay the extra salaries? Kind of short sighted by them. Should have asked their coaches what they want and I guarantee the answer would be to increase it.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I guess owners just didn't want to pay the extra salaries? Kind of short sighted by them. Should have asked their coaches what they want and I guarantee the answer would be to increase it.

Of course HCs would want bigger rosters.  I'm sure it's about $ and not having more vested vets get pensions/healthcare etc.

This way they increase the roster size (an issue by the players about the 17 game season) but use the lowest guys in the NFL to man it.

It is what it is.

Of course HCs would want bigger rosters.  I'm sure it's about $ and not having more vested vets get pensions/healthcare etc.

This way they increase the roster size (an issue by the players about the 17 game season) but use the lowest guys in the NFL to man it.

It is what it is.

Yep. Not disagreeing with you at all. I just feel adding a game and expanding the playoffs requires a larger roster, and not just allowing a couple practice squad guys to come up. I think owners are being short sighted and pinching pennies. But yeah. Teams will have to find a way to get a little benefit from it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep. Not disagreeing with you at all. I just feel adding a game and expanding the playoffs requires a larger roster, and not just allowing a couple practice squad guys to come up. I think owners are being short sighted and pinching pennies. But yeah. Teams will have to find a way to get a little benefit from it.

Yep and some will use it better than others.  I trust Beane and McDermott to squeeze out the most they can get.

I'm just not sure yet how they will do it.