Devin Singletary YPA vs 8Man box

Just now, FireChans said:

Drawing a conclusion from 5% of a players plays is always a losing proposition.

I don't disagree. This was a particular conversation regarding certain specific aspects of Singletary's overall game, his propensity to face an inordinately low % of 8man fronts included.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't disagree. This was a particular conversation regarding certain specific aspects of Singletary's overall game, his propensity to face an inordinately low % of 8man fronts included.

That honestly must be an error. It makes no sense.

I feel that there are two things to mention here:

1) I didn’t say that he wasn’t good. I said that his YPC was inflated.

2) I also pointed out that he not only faced  the fewest 8-man boxes, but also averaged nearly 3 seconds behind the LOS per carry. 

Those two factors combined contribute to an inflated YPC.

I didn’t say he sucks. I didn’t even say he wasn’t good. But of course people see anything that resembles not lauding the kid for being the best thing ever and they freak.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

That honestly must be an error. It makes no sense.

It was used with such conviction though

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

2) I also pointed out that he not only faced  the fewest 8-man boxes, but also averaged nearly 3 seconds behind the LOS per carry. 

I didn’t say he sucks. I didn’t even say he wasn’t good. But of course people see anything that resembles not lauding the kid for being the best thing ever and they freak.

Are you prepared to say that maybe he faced more than 8 carries against 8man fronts?

Do you understand how averaging a high amount of time behind the LOS is NOT really a good argument for an 'inflated' YPC?

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I just provided a link and now I think the kid is god awful. What a world.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

It was used with such conviction though

Are you prepared to say that maybe he faced more than 8 carries against 8man fronts?

Do you understand how averaging a high amount of time behind the LOS is NOT really a good argument for an 'inflated' YPC?

Take it up with NextGen jrober 

Just now, Blokestradamus said:

I just provided a link and now I think the kid is god awful. What a world.

We need to trade up for Taylor and let Singletary only play special teams. Maybe if his 2nd Gen stats prove he’s good on Punt Block, he can return a punt if Andre Roberts goes down.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I did you one better and provided film. 

Would you care to elaborate or simply throw insults around

You showed still shots that are supposed to prove that you’re right and the outfit that gets paid to produce the numbers league-wide is wrong. Sorry, I’m going with the league.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You showed still shots that are supposed to prove that you’re right and the outfit that gets paid to produce the numbers league-wide is wrong. Sorry, I’m going with the league.

I acknowledged the possibility of ESPN having a different definition of '8 men in the box' due to how they gather their data via sensors in the OP. But imo the stills I put up are perfectly appropriate examples of traditional 8man fronts taken either immediately pre or post snap...I'm obviously trying to have an honest discussion or I wouldn't have gone through the trouble. 

You contend that these 8 plays are the entirety of the 5.3% of carries vs 8man fronts ESPN calculated for Singletary?

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Yes, if you believe that 8 plays is indicative of anything. Which I don’t.

For the record, if he only had 8 plays and you looked at ALL of them, it isn't a "sample" it's a "census". And sample sizes don't mean anything when you have a verified census.

Just to note he can be both 

1) Really good against a small sample set of 8 man boxes (thus not holding back his YPC).

2) Still faced a few number of 8 man boxes and have his YPC drop if he faced more.  

His vision and contact balance is still so amazing.  Cover 1 did the Pittsburgh game and while the fumbles were rough some of his vision is insane (he jump cuts away from a guy coming from behind him; how?).

• Like (+1) 1