Covid-19 discussion and humor thread [Was: CDC says don't touch your face to avoid Covid19...Vets to the rescue!

17 hours ago, Sundancer said:

I have been following the "1/2 to 2/3 of the UK already has it or already had it and got over it" movement.

I have a simple pin to prick that bubble: If half the UK had it or has it, why are we suddenly seeing an uptick in hospitalizations right now? Were all the other cases non-hospitalized cases? And now we are just seeing a random spike?  

Ferguson's actual remarks, by the way, suggest continued social distancing and increased testing to follow Korea's model. He is not saying that we are 2-3 weeks away from this being over as the Tweeter Berenson suggests.

I would LOOOOOOOVE to be wrong. 

Ferguson makes what I said above clear in some Tweets.

The source of the earlier tweets Berenson was wildly inaccurate and that was clear if you read Ferguson’s remarks. Be careful out there with the stories. Desire for a sensible narrative in this chaos may cloud the reality of very murky facts at this point. That’s why the (mostly) facts thread here is good. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Ferguson makes what I said above clear in some Tweets.

And there are still people saying he has changed his position and attacking him rather than reading what he really said (if we keep up this social isolating then we could reduce the death toll to only around 20,000 (!!!)).

And now Boris the Clown has the virus. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52060791

EPA suspends enforcement: https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/489753-epa-suspends-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

This is a license to trash, no?

No deal (yet) for GM ventilators.  https://www.axios.com/trump-coronavirus-general-motors-ventec-4535ea18-aaf9-4ab0-8753-7fd4aa368ca2.html

Which is OK because we really don't need ventilators. 

I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they’re going to be,” he said. “I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/26/trump-ventilators-coronavirus-151311

Edited by Cripple Creek

Long read.  https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/

A study released by a team at Imperial College London concluded that if the pandemic is left unchecked, those beds will all be full by late April. By the end of June, for every available critical-care bed, there will be roughly 15 COVID-19 patients in need of one.  By the end of the summer, the pandemic will have directly killed 2.2 million Americans, notwithstanding those who will indirectly die as hospitals are unable to care for the usual slew of heart attacks, strokes, and car accidents. This is the worst-case scenario. 

Study cited in above article. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Another study cited: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114

A recent analysis from the University of Pennsylvania estimated that even if social-distancing measures can reduce infection rates by 95 percent, 960,000 Americans will still need intensive care. There are only about 180,000 ventilators in the U.S. and, more pertinently, only enough respiratory therapists and critical-care staff to safely look after 100,000 ventilated patients. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Fake news.  I detect a thong.

we have just run out of the Costco TP and have started using what ever garbage was available from the Kroger...I am not happy!Not good!

And still a yes, thong or no!

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

we have just run out of the Costco TP and have started using what ever garbage was available from the Kroger...I am not happy!Not good!

And still a yes, thong or no!

Still have several rolls of Costco TP available, but with a daughter back in the house it is dwindling quickly.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Scary 

Here’s the letter they sent:

Thankfully this policy is not yet in use, but they’re preparing for it because they know they’re short on equipment and so far have not been able to acquire it. 

“We had a big problem with a woman governor — you know who I’m talking about — from Michigan,” the <BLANK> said. “All she does is sit there and blame the federal government, she doesn’t get it done and we send her a lot.” He said he did not like dealing with governors who “take and then they complain” and described Ms. Whitmer as a new governor who “has not been pleasant.”

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

Regarding your last quote, there's a whole board for "politics." 

I’m well aware. This quote is relevant to the post about the conditions in Michigan and the potential for Michigan to have to implement the care measures spelled out in the letter. If I wanted to be political about it, I would have quoted the entire interview given on Fox News and offered my own editorial position as well, but much of that had nothing to do with Michigan in particular. 

I get that ANY reference to federal leadership or lack thereof may trigger some who take ANY critique of our response during this crisis as an attack. I disagree. I think it’s important to point out faults and hold our elected leaders responsible ESPECIALLY at times like this. 

If a mod wants to delete my post, fine. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

It is a license to dump anything costly to clean, store, etc, so company profits take less of a hit.  

I'd rather they change rule to state you may dump anything you want on White House lawn and when that is full Camp David.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Dr. Birx should be made to watch Cuomo’s response to the question about ventilators at today’s presser. Her crap about how he’s not even using the 4,000 already shipped and how she’s just not seeing the need for 30,000 is as short sighted as it comes and is indicative of how we’ve only been REactive vs. PROactive in our national response to this point. Cuomo cited several studies, including that of the CDC, indicating that at current trends we will need the 30,000 at the apex. The idea is to be prepared when the time comes, not when the apex hits and then you realize you need all those ventilators. Basic common sense.

I’ve used the word malpractice several times in describing our national response. This is another example. 

Edited by K-9