PSA: Windows 7 End of Life 14 Jan 2020

/dev/null

Reminder that tomorrow, January 14th 2020, Windows 7 reaches it's end of life.  Unless you are paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of cash to provide updates, you will no longer receive software or security updates

Time to upgrade to Windows 10 or give Linux a try

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Reminder that tomorrow, January 14th 2020, Windows 7 reaches it's end of life.  Unless you are paying Microsoft an exorbitant amount of cash to provide updates, you will no longer receive software or security updates

I've known about this for quite awhile but let me ask you this... what exactly happens? I get that there are no new updates but if someone just browses the web... here, a couple of other boards, youtube, Bills/Sabres games etc. does it really matter?

Its not like I'm trading stocks or banking on this thing. (Acer laptop running 7)

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

I've known about this for quite awhile but let me ask you this... what exactly happens? I get that there are no new updates but if someone just browses the web... here, a couple of other boards, youtube, Bills/Sabres games etc. does it really matter?

Its not like I'm trading stocks or banking on this thing. (Acer laptop running 7)

Browsing the web is the riskiest thing you can use a computer for.  Even "safe" sites like TSW and Youtube can be compromised by a vulnerability in the underlying software, 3rd party ads or cookies

10 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Browsing the web is the riskiest thing you can use a computer for.  Even "safe" sites like TSW and Youtube can be compromised by a vulnerability in the underlying software, 3rd party ads or cookies

Thanks for that. I wasn't elaborate enough in my initial post. I have ad blocker pro, 10 bit malware... run Spybot S&D once in awhile, and a couple of other things. Should be no problem to post here, no?

If it turns out to be a problem I'll clean this one back to factory settings, donate it to a school, and just go buy a new one.

Edited by T&C

47 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thanks for that. I wasn't elaborate enough in my initial post. I have ad blocker pro, 10 bit malware... run Spybot S&D once in awhile, and a couple of other things. Should be no problem to post here, no?

If it turns out to be a problem I'll clean this one back to factory settings, donate it to a school, and just go buy a new one.

Ad blockers and anti-malware are important, but so are operating system updates and patches.

And at some point your Ad Blocker / Anti-Malware software may stop supporting Windows 7

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

It's an 11 year old OS. For anyone still using it, it's time to move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, T&C said:

All things must pass...

Some faster than others. Mighty Taco taught me that! 

My 92 year old mother uses her iPad for most things, but still uses desk top for Quicken and a few other things. Between the cost and the learning curve, I’m not sure what the best plan of action is.....

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Augie said:

Some faster than others. Mighty Taco taught me that! 

My 92 year old mother uses her iPad for most things, but still uses desk top for Quicken and a few other things. Between the cost and the learning curve, I’m not sure what the best plan of action is.....

Hehe... George Harrison told me that.

92? God love that woman.

Best course of action is probably to get her a laptop for the best one you can get at $400 or so and get a remote mouse so it is kind of similar. She might like being able to move around to other places, or outside, to do what she does. I had a tower forever, like since the 90's and a laptop changed my whole way of thinking about it a couple of years ago.

Looks like I'll do the same... new laptop. Walmart usually has good deals on them.

BTW... how are you liking the Aldi?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Hehe... George Harrison told me that.

92? God love that woman.

Best course of action is probably to get her a laptop for the best one you can get at $400 or so and get a remote mouse so it is kind of similar. She might like being able to move around to other places, or outside, to do what she does. I had a tower forever, like since the 90's and a laptop changed my whole way of thinking about it a couple of years ago.

Looks like I'll do the same... new laptop. Walmart usually has good deals on them.

BTW... how are you liking the Aldi?

I went thru the ALDI (kinda) near me, but just to check it out. When I realized Publix was usually 20-40%  more than Kroger, I started making a lot more trips to Kroger. Part of it is the money, but most of it is feeling taken advantage of. Publix is a good, reliable experience, but they count on owning a market and saturating it with locations to set their prices. If you work there, BUY ALL THE STOCK YOU CAN! It will pay off like UPS did back in the day. 

There is a gas station about 1.5 miles from my house selling gas for $2.29/gallon. Go a couple miles in any other direction, and the gas is $2.41. The place practically across the street is at $2.99 and people line up there to buy gas all day long. That’s more than stations on prime corners in Buckhead.  I resent being treated like an idiot. I buy NOTHING from them, and for now I’m good with Kroger. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

I went thru the ALDI (kinda) near me, but just to check it out. When I realized Publix was usually 20-40%  more than Kroger, I started making a lot more trips to Kroger. Part of it is the money, but most of it is feeling taken advantage of. Publix is a good, reliable experience, but they count on owning a market and saturating it with locations to set their prices. If you work there, BUY ALL THE STOCK YOU CAN! It will pay off like UPS did back in the day. 

There is a gas station about 1.5 miles from my house selling gas for $2.29/gallon. Go a couple miles in any other direction, and the gas is $2.41. The place practically across the street is at $2.99 and people line up there to buy gas all day long. That’s more than stations on prime corners in Buckhead.  I resent being treated like an idiot. I buy NOTHING from them, and for now I’m good with Kroger. 

I didn't mean to turn the corner on the thread topic... are you considering a new laptop for her? It will make her more mobile... but I don't know the full situation either.

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

I didn't mean to turn the corner on the thread topic... are you considering a new laptop for her? It will make her more mobile... but I don't know the full situation either.

The only thing she needs the desktop for is Quicken. She’s 99% on my old iPad or her phone. I am afraid of the learning curve if we get her a laptop. Did I mention she’s 92 YEARS OLD? She calls me almost daily, unaware that she has done so. “Hello? Hello? HELLO???” 

Still, blessed for 92!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

The only thing she needs the desktop for is Quicken. She’s 99% on my old iPad or her phone. I am afraid of the learning curve if we get her a laptop. Did I mention she’s 92 YEARS OLD? She calls me almost daily, unaware that she has done so. “Hello? Hello? HELLO???” 

Still, blessed for 92!

A "small" learning curve could help her out, it keeps the brain active. My Dad, who lives in Covington... not that far from Atlanta, is 84 now. Got him his first smart phone a couple of years ago and a smart tv last year.

He still uses his phone book lol. I'm not up there much so he goes with what he knows. At least he can still follow the Bills and NFL action.

• Like (+1) 1

And on a related note, today is Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday".  Included in this month's updates is rumored to be a major patch to Windows core cryptographic to fix a vulnerability that has apparently been around for about 20 years.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/01/cryptic-rumblings-ahead-of-first-2020-patch-tuesday/

So yeah, you might want to keep your version of Windows updated

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I got so sick of viruses and trying to prevent them that I switched to google chromebooks about six years.  I don't miss Windows at all.

That's great, as long as you understand Chromebooks are not immune from viruses.  Neither are Linux, ChromeOS (which is a fork of Gentoo Linux), *BSD, or Mac (which is a fork of BSD).

Windows has such a massive share of the market that virus creators do not spend the time or effort targeting Linux, *BSD, Mac, or Chrome.  But viruses do exist, usually at the application layer for cross platform applications or the transport/protocol layer common to all OS

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 2