PSA: Windows 7 End of Life 14 Jan 2020

/dev/null

23 hours ago, davefan66 said:

The issue is our users and the suspect places they “May” go to.  Wouldn’t want to risk security issues by not being up to date.  

Planned obsolescence.  Apple is famous for that.  I Have a few older laptops that run great, but haven’t had updates in years.  Worse is their IOS updates that throttle the iPad and iPhones.  Makes people upgrade when the hardware is still in great shape.

...through my external IT Services/Network Engineering firm, I subscribe to a national firm that hosts/provides Managed Services (I'll have to look up the name).....they monitor all servers, work stations, etc., provide automatic patch downloads and send my data nightly offsite to three different locations in the USA for disaster recovery...costs me $50,000 /year....you can get "where they may go" monitoring software, but you'd probably need a person whose sole function was to monitor and report, requiring a company ramifications policy.....

12 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...through my external IT Services/Network Engineering firm, I subscribe to a national firm that hosts/provides Managed Services (I'll have to look up the name).....they monitor all servers, work stations, etc., provide automatic patch downloads and send my data nightly offsite to three different locations in the USA for disaster recovery...costs me $50,000 /year....you can get "where they may go" monitoring software, but you'd probably need a person whose sole function was to monitor and report, requiring a company ramifications policy.....

We also use off-site managed IT services, do pretty much the same as yours.  Had to use the backup once when one of our virtual servers was corrupted.  Very happy with them.

We discussed internally if we would limit certain sites and/or track.  Came to the decision not to...”honor system”.   Have not had an issue over the last 3 years since the network was installed with malware or viruses.  Can’t recall our Anti-virus, works well.

5 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

We also use off-site managed IT services, do pretty much the same as yours.  Had to use the backup once when one of our virtual servers was corrupted.  Very happy with them.

We discussed internally if we would limit certain sites and/or track.  Came to the decision not to...”honor system”.   Have not had an issue over the last 3 years since the network was installed with malware or viruses.  Can’t recall our Anti-virus, works well.

...we use malwarebytes collectively...but I've had good luck personally with supermalwarebytes and run it in conjunction (as well as use it at home).....

13 hours ago, davefan66 said:

For the end users?  Thought that was normal unless your talking abut VPN’s?

A VPN handles data transport.  A Proxy Server handles data content.

A VPN is a secure tunnel between two points.  Say for example you have an office in Buffalo and an office in Erie.  Unless you run a 90 mile fiber optic cable between both offices, your offices have to connect over the internet.  Anything you send from one office to the other is visible to every switch, router, and network engineer along that path.  What a VPN does is encrypts the data you send over the internet and decrypts the data at the destination, so that any hops along the path cannot read your data.  They know you're talking, they just don't know what you're saying

A Proxy Server is like an Internet funnel.  Your clients do not connect to the Internet, they connect to the proxy server.  The proxy server connects to the Internet and forwards the traffic on behalf of the clients.  All of your web traffic flows thru the proxy server.  You can see the URL each of your clients is accessing and even the web content itself. 

I got the dreaded phone call from my Mother-in-law yesterday.  She has a computer with Windows 7.  She thinks she has to buy a new computer.  I talked to my Son-in-law, who is a computer engineer and he bought her the computer a few years ago, and he said just update it. Unfortunately he lives three hours away and only comes to visit a few times a year. That means I’m going to have to do it.  (There is no try, there is do or not do.)

$130 to download it, or $135 to get it on a memory stick. I’m leaning toward the memory stick option.   Uggggg.

Any tips or pointers?

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

I got the dreaded phone call from my Mother-in-law yesterday.  She has a computer with Windows 7.  She thinks she has to buy a new computer.  I talked to my Son-in-law, who is a computer engineer and he bought her the computer a few years ago, and he said just update it. Unfortunately he lives three hours away and only comes to visit a few times a year. That means I’m going to have to do it.  (There is no try, there is do or not do.)

$130 to download it, or $135 to get it on a memory stick. I’m leaning toward the memory stick option.   Uggggg.

Any tips or pointers?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Any tips or pointers?

Memory stick

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

A VPN handles data transport.  A Proxy Server handles data content.

A VPN is a secure tunnel between two points.  Say for example you have an office in Buffalo and an office in Erie.  Unless you run a 90 mile fiber optic cable between both offices, your offices have to connect over the internet.  Anything you send from one office to the other is visible to every switch, router, and network engineer along that path.  What a VPN does is encrypts the data you send over the internet and decrypts the data at the destination, so that any hops along the path cannot read your data.  They know you're talking, they just don't know what you're saying

A Proxy Server is like an Internet funnel.  Your clients do not connect to the Internet, they connect to the proxy server.  The proxy server connects to the Internet and forwards the traffic on behalf of the clients.  All of your web traffic flows thru the proxy server.  You can see the URL each of your clients is accessing and even the web content itself. 

So, does it identify which client is visiting which URL?  Or just a list of the sites visited by all?  My guess you would identify via their specific login. 

Asking for a friend...

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

So, does it identify which client is visiting which URL?  Or just a list of the sites visited by all?  My guess you would identify via their specific login. 

Asking for a friend...

Depends on your setup.  At the very least a Proxy Server will tell you that IP 192.168.100.101 requested web content from www.twobillsdrive.com on 17 January at 22:30. 

If you have DNS integrated it can tell you that client101 (which resolves to IP 192.168.100.101) requested web content from www.twobillsdrive.com on 17 January at 22:30

If you have LDAP/Active Directory integrated it can tell you that yourdomain\naughtyuser on client101.yourdomain.fqdn requested web content from www.twobillsdrive.com on 17 January at 22:30

If you have a Proxy cache you can inspect what traffic was served.

• Like (+1) 2