Watching the playoffs and this team was closer to a superbowl than we think

Hebert19

11 hours ago, The Red King said:

That same, slightly off pass gets dropped 99% of the time, and we then blame Allen.  The Bills' WRs give Allen precious little margin of error, and when you think on it, that can mean the difference between 1st down and a 4th down punt.  We also have nobody who will fight for the ball.  Look at Duke Williams, and the end-zone incompletion.  Disregard the arguement as to why he dropped it and look carefully.  Duke at least gave Allen enough confidence to throw a contested pass into the end zone.  That...never happened before. 

I disagree on this, take the deep ball. The difference with the inaccurate, but accurate enough passes, is when and how they are thrown. If the receiver breaks 5 yards of separation you really have 10 yards to make the reception. You can throw it short and the receiver has to come back, or go deep in stride, or have them stop and try to catch it. That's 30 feet to make it work.

Josh routinely missed those by a country mile with about 4 passes he hit.

Now take his "drops". Most of the Knox drops were actually Knox's fault. The other passes I disagree. He constantly threw behind his receivers or at their feet. Watching live discussions of "drops" on here were borderline laughable. Allen doesn't throw the cleanest spiral, it's almost wobbling and throw at 45-50 mph at your feet or slightly behind you it's super hard to catch.

If I didn't work so much I would love to review old games to show you "drops" that aren't that close to being caught.

For your viewing pleasure look at Michael Thomas highlights and see if the placement of the ball to Thomas looks like the drops we have:

its not a stretch to say that we're a few players and another year of Allen improving away from Titan or 49er calibre football. The challenge now will be to acquire talent when drafting in the last half of the draft. Replacing Lorax, Gore and eventually Hughes are big pieces that might require some Cornelius Bennett type of deal. If we stay in the 9 - 11 win bracket I suspect that these holes will be patched in FA rather than the draft.

19 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I really hope we can have nice things.  This offseason will be an indication of "the process" and if it is truly applied to the coaching staff, because it needs to be.  McD, I'm sure sees that the offense wasn't anywhere near good enough in terms of play calling; Daboll needs some process.  The defense (yes, defense) wasn't good enough in getting to the QB, as well as the prevent/soft zone Frazier likes to play when having a lead; McD and Frazier need to see that allowing opponents to stay in games prevents you from winning.  If they didn't learn this vs Houston, I don't think they ever will.  They also need to continue to tighten the run blocking gaps, which were exploited multiple times this year.  McD and Frazier need some process.  Special Teams, Heath Farwell was very disappointing earlier in the season allowing the Pats (and one other team - Dolphins or Eagles, I thought)  to block a punt due to weaknesses in the punt blocking formation, though this seemed to get fixed as the season went on.  Maybe Farwell already got his process, but we'll see next year.  McD's game management is getting better, but still lots of room for improvement.

Of course the players will get the process, and we'll also get some new players.  Additionally, with the ones we have now, execution should be better with another year of experience under their belt.  The point is the coaching wasn't good enough this year and they need some "process."

Hey Happy:  You’ll be much happier next year with better players.  A top tier edge rusher and solid right tackle and big fast WR will make the coaches look like the Shanahans.  I know some will say that they could’ve done better with this group this year, but that is questionable.  We need a couple more players and these coaches will be able to get real fancy.  I do agree that McD needs to read the book How to Not Waste Precious Seconds for Dummies.  Go Bills!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1