Watching the playoffs and this team was closer to a superbowl than we think

Hebert19

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh.

You could also argue it the other way around.

Cleveland game, and 2nd Jets game.

I agree.

I am probably 60/40ish in agreeing with that post. Meaning I would be more surprised at 12-4 than 8-8 (2 gam swing) FWIW.  But ultimately you are what your record says you are. 

I have some concerns on both sides of the ball I think the defense will take a small step back. They’ve had difficulty against the run and at getting off the field. I don’t think it will be huge, but the offense will need an major step to make up for it. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the opportunity was if we made more moves maybe we are a 3 or even 2 seed this year and in a position to make an easier run.

surely we will get another WC shot but we had a pretty wide open path and didn’t give our best possible shot at it.

I don’t think there were a lot more moves they could have made, maybe another WR. To get better than a WC.I don’t think they would have gotten by New England with that though, because JA is still young. Not many young QBs get by Belichick early in their careers ( heck Mahomes is just 1-2 with his arsenal of weapons) and Josh needs to get better at beating the blitz. He’s not there yet, and I think he struggles vs BB defense until he improves. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Where do you think odds will be placed by the people that do that for a living ? 

Not sure , and I don’t care. We will see what they add in the offseason. At one point, Brady and BB were underdogs in the Super Bowl Vs Rams. It didn’t matter. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t think there were a lot more moves they could have made, maybe another WR. To get better than a WC.I don’t think they would have gotten by New England with that though, because JA is still young. Not many young QBs get by Belichick early in their careers ( heck Mahomes is just 1-2 with his arsenal of weapons) and Josh needs to get better at beating the blitz. He’s not there yet, and I think he struggles vs BB defense until he improves. 

Not sure , and I don’t care. We will see what they add in the offseason. At one point, Brady and BB were underdogs in the Super Bowl Vs Rams. It didn’t matter. 

If you want to make the case "we are close", you ought to have the cojones to quantify what "close" is. 

I prefer to look at the NFL in tiers.  Teams generally play 50/50 ball against teams in the same tier, struggle against those above them, and  take care of business against those below them.

In my opinion, the only clear Tier 1 teams in the AFC were the Ravens and Chiefs.  The Patriots started the season there, but regressed badly in the final month.  The Titans have played extremely well the last two weeks, but I think they get destroyed in the Championship game.

The Bills were clearly a Tier 2 team this year.  They split wins-losses against the other similar teams, such as the Titans, Steelers, Texans, Cowboys and Eagles.  They were almost perfect against the NFL's average/below average teams.  But they couldn't quite get over the hump against the teams on the next level - Ravens, Patriots.  So unfortunately, I don't think the Bills would have been able to pull off 3 straight wins in the postseason.

To get to the next level, the Bills need their offense to step up.  That starts with Josh Allen progressing from a bottom quarter QB into the top half of the NFL.  It will require more weapons in the passing and running game, and more consistent play from the offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

If you want to make the case "we are close", you ought to have the cojones to quantify what "close" is. 

Who’s saying they’re “ closer than we think” ? The OP, maybe not me. I think they need offensive talent added. A top WR, physical RB2, and a reliable TE would be nice. That may be close , considering they didn’t have them this year. But it’s not closer than I think. It’s just about as far away as I think, and that’s not quite close enough. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Confidence in the hyper conservative approach? Playing not to lose? Never beating the Pats? 

What exactly are our coaches doing correctly?

We consistently seem to win about two games more than our roster suggests every season.  For three seasons.  Some of the in-game decision-making is off IMO (it is for most teams), but the W-L results are there, and they've obviously done a great job in turning the culture around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree.

I am probably 60/40ish in agreeing with that post. Meaning I would be more surprised at 12-4 than 8-8 (2 gam swing) FWIW.  But ultimately you are what your record says you are. 

I have some concerns on both sides of the ball I think the defense will take a small step back. They’ve had difficulty against the run and at getting off the field. I don’t think it will be huge, but the offense will need an major step to make up for it. 

Our Defense never got to play with a comfortable lead because our O never gave them one. Including last week.

If our O takes a decent step forward our D gets better because of it. We do need to figure out the run D problem though.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Couldn’t agree more, the future is never guaranteed and this year was an opportunity that might take another 20 years to present itself. Too bad we couldn’t score

I thought heading into the season that they should have LANDED either Clowney or Clark. Beane was interested, but it didn't happen. 

It was apparent that the offense wasn't going to be particularly good, and the defense could potentially be the kind of dominant unit that WINS football games.

We don't lose that 16 point lead against Houston OR give up that game winning drive at Cleveland with a better pass rush. Just wouldn't happen.

They're building for their long haul and that's their prerogative. Results have been better than what we've had around these parts in a LONG time. But I would have gone a different route and made that one big move for a pass rusher.

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

We consistently seem to win about two games more than our roster suggests every season.  For three seasons.  Some of the in-game decision-making is off IMO (it is for most teams), but the W-L results are there, and they've obviously done a great job in turning the culture around.

McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

no we weren't 

our offense is nowhere near good enough to compete right now. we literally can't score more than 2 TD's per game unless we play the dolphins. not to mention Allen can't string together multiple quarters of good football. 

did you see how many poor defenses we played this season and how bad our offense was in these games? Going forward the AFC is open as long as Brady doesn't have a career revival, but Allen needs to make that jump to a top 10 QB or we aren't going anywhere. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mango said:

Inversely it means that this team is a few plays away from 8-8 because on any given Sunday in the AFC...

2 examples:

1. 1st jets game. It’s the only game we won where we lost the QB differential. Darnold also had mono. 

2. TEN. They missed 4 field goals and had 2 TDS called back. Mariota was benched shortly after. We won 14-7. 

I've always said many games are won or lost by minuscule edges, a few plays here and there, refs, whatever. And it's true this year the ball seem to bounce the Bills way quite a few times, easy schedule too. Just like THE Dalton play in 2017 to get in... and many bad lucks to NOT making the playing a couple of those years during the drought. Add injuries and flukes, and yes this team could be 8-8 or 11-5. BUT, the point of this thread remains true. It's clear the Bills were legit and had a shot this year, for sure. Yeah that loss hurt but it was in OT!  Anyway, let have Beane and the Process keep putting this team forward and up, even with the coming tough schedule.

15 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

AFC is terrible. Bills could beat any of these teams.   Any give Sunday in AFC this year. Hope it's just the start for us and we didnt miss an opportunity 

The Bills could not beat the Chiefs. Lost to the struggling Pats twice. Barely beat the Titans with Mariotta and lost to Houston given every opportunity to win in the first half. If the offense improves next year we have a shot.