The 5 worst trades in Bills History?

I knew someone would say Bledsoe, but I didn't figure on the poster doing it.  Bledsoe was NOT a bad trade.  Bledsoe was a fantastic trade.  We were desperate, we were about to start Alex Van Pelt on a 3-13 team.  OUCH.

Bledsoe brought immediate legitimacy to the position, inflated our ticket sales, and brought excitement back to Buffalo.

Not to mention that he had a Probowl year, was good enough to inflate Peerless' numbers so we could get our first rounder back, and draft McGahee.  Not to mention the other players who came to Buffalo, who probably would not have come if we didn't have a true quarterback.

In hindsight, yes Bledsoe couldn't win the big one for us.  Bledsoe couldn't even get us in the playoffs.  But he was definitely worth the trade!

305305[/snapback]

couldnt have said it better

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May 11, 1971 BILLS TRADE RON McDOLE TO REDSKINS

DE Ron McDole, a starter since 1963, was traded to the Washington Redskins for an undisclosed draft choice.

It was thought that McDole was washed up...instead he went on to play with Washington for 7 years.

305334[/snapback]

The Dole trade and the Lamonica for Flores and Powell brain fart really pissed me off. Flores became a backup and (I think) QB coach, and Powell never reported.

Dole was part of the Over The Hill Gang at Washington, wasn't he?

Worst trade:  Lamonica.  Hands down.

Best trade:  Sending OJ Simpson to San Francisco in 1978.  The Juice was washed up at the time, but we managed to get SF's 1979 first-rounder for him.  That turned out to be the #1 pick in the whole draft, which we used to select OSU's Tom Cousineau -- who promptly bolted for the CFL.  But when he returned in 1983, we sent his rights to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for their first-rounder... which we used to select Jim Kelly.  So the deal was basically a washed-up HOF running back for a young future HOF quarterback.  Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting eight years for the payoff (Kelly didn't come to Buffalo until 1986).  :blink:

305581[/snapback]

Nowadays everyone would be calling for the GMs head for making such a stupid trade. Nobody has the patience to wait 8 years.... Puts things in perspective though, doesn't it?

CW

305581[/snapback]

Great points!

People today want instant gratificaton AND have short memories. Kelly once said he would NEVER play for the Buffalo Bills. I am glad he saw the light. Or maybe it was $$$$$$$ :doh:

Anyway, now he is a definite WNY legend. 0:)

Dole was part of the Over The Hill Gang at Washington, wasn't he?

305814[/snapback]

Yep. Here are a few guys from those teams....

Verlon Biggs (dl), Speedy Duncan (db), Pat Fischer (db), Chris Hanburger (lb), Len Hauss (ol), Ron McDole (dl), Jack Pardee (lb), Richie Petitbon (db), Myron Pottios (lb), Walt Rock (ol), Diron Talbert (dl).

I didn't look it up because I could have SWORN that Seymour was their pick in that draft.  My bad.  Calm down killer.

305760[/snapback]

Would it have been so hard to go to Patriots.com (ok, that part was... :blink:), click on Seymore's name on the roster, and see when he was drafted, even if you were 101% sure?

Sorry, but that's just one of my big pet peeves -- when people make statements, claim them as fact, and don't actually research first. Before you know it, everyone's saying that Buffalo has thrown the ball 188 straight times on 3rd and 3 or less. :doh:

CW

Would it have been so hard to go to Patriots.com (ok, that part was... :D), click on Seymore's name on the roster, and see when he was drafted, even if you were 101% sure?

Sorry, but that's just one of my big pet peeves -- when people make statements, claim them as fact, and don't actually research first.  Before you know it, everyone's saying that Buffalo has thrown the ball 188 straight times on 3rd and 3 or less.  :D

CW

305850[/snapback]

Well said.

I'm surprised some of the old timers didn't mention trade of Cookie Gilchrist to the Broncos for running back Billy Joe.

305876[/snapback]

He had a Caddy convertible with the words, "Lookie Lookie Here Comes Cookie" painted on the side. :D

Cookie was a Bengal - sort of. Unlike the deals that Jax and Car got, the expansion '68 Bengals got all manner of cast-offs. Cookie, 2 or so years retired, was offered to them.

Would it have been so hard to go to Patriots.com (ok, that part was... :D), click on Seymore's name on the roster, and see when he was drafted, even if you were 101% sure?

Sorry, but that's just one of my big pet peeves -- when people make statements, claim them as fact, and don't actually research first.  Before you know it, everyone's saying that Buffalo has thrown the ball 188 straight times on 3rd and 3 or less.  :D

CW

305850[/snapback]

Ty Warren has still worked out better for them than Bledsoe did for us (on the field).

On the field Bledsoe was disaster.

#1 by a huge margin- Drew Bledsoe

#2 Billie Joe Hobert

#3 trading up for Ryan Denney

#4 that idiot kick returner we traded for a few years ago(the one busted for assault)

#5 David Bowens

306134[/snapback]

you think that the bledsoe trade was worse than RJ?

we traded only a 1 for DB, we also traded a 4 for RJ. In the end, Bledsoe's performance wasn't bad enough to lose us games as we were close to .500 each year. RJ got hurt all the time and the one season that he was the primary starter we went 3-13 with AVP getting two of of those wins. SO the RJ by any aspect was much worse than the Drew trade

you think that the bledsoe trade was worse than RJ?

we traded only a 1 for DB, we also traded a 4 for RJ. In the end, Bledsoe's performance wasn't bad enough to lose us games as we were close to .500 each year. RJ got hurt all the time and the one season that he was the primary starter we went 3-13 with AVP getting two of of those wins. SO the RJ by any aspect was much worse than the Drew trade

306145[/snapback]

ooops I forgot we traded for RJ. Yes I do feel the DB trade was much worse then the RJ one. RJ actually played well in a big game(Titans playoff game). The same cannot be said of Drew. Drew killed our franchise for 3 years

ooops I forgot we traded for RJ.  Yes I do feel the DB trade was much worse then the RJ one.  RJ actually played well in a big game(Titans playoff game).  The same cannot be said of Drew.  Drew killed our franchise for 3 years

306152[/snapback]

You are assessing RJ's trade value because of one game? man, that sounds like John Butler

You are assessing RJ's trade value because of one game? man, that sounds like John Butler

306159[/snapback]

um thats not an endorsement of RJ. I concur that was one of the worst trades. We gave up the pick #9 which most likely would of been Tra Thomas. Jacksonville selected Fred Taylor. Like I said- that is not an endorsement of RJ- its an inditement on Drew. The question posed to me was "you think that the bledsoe trade was worse than RJ?" and I answered an emphatic yes! Drew never showed up for a big game and pulled down the talent level around him for 3 years.

um thats not an endorsement of RJ.  I concur that was one of the worst trades.  We gave up the pick #9 which most likely would of been Tra Thomas.  Jacksonville selected Fred Taylor.  Like I said- that is not an endorsement of RJ- its an inditement on Drew.  The question posed to me was "you think that the bledsoe trade was worse than RJ?"  and I answered an emphatic yes!  Drew never showed up for a big game and pulled down the talent level around him for 3 years.

306170[/snapback]

The only time johnson showed up tho was for that one damn game. Drew was lights out for eight and mediocre for at least another 16.

But we can agree to disagree here

The only time johnson showed up tho was for that one damn game. Drew was lights out for eight and mediocre for at least another 16.

But we can agree to disagree here

306180[/snapback]

I know I'm being nit-picky, but Drew was only lights out for the first seven games of 2002. The eighth was against the Patriots.

I know I'm being nit-picky, but Drew was only lights out for the first seven games of 2002. The eighth was against the Patriots.

306193[/snapback]

okay still 7 is a lot better IMO than the BS forward lateral game which RJ actually played well.

okay still 7 is a lot better IMO than the BS forward lateral game which RJ actually played  well.

306201[/snapback]

Well, the Titans had a really good defense. To play well against a top tier defense in a playoff game is nothing to sneeze at. Besides, Johnson had a good game against Indy the previous week.