The 5 worst trades in Bills History?

With all the trade talk going around with Henry and Clements I started trying to think about good and bad trades the Bills have made. The two worst ones that I could think of were the trades for Johnson and Bledsoe.

I'm trying to recall some other really horrible trades.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the trade talk going around with Henry and Clements I started trying to think about good and bad trades the Bills have made.  The two worst ones that I could think of were the trades for Johnson and Bledsoe.

I'm trying to recall some other really horrible trades.

305291[/snapback]

What was so horrible about the Bledsoe trade? He sold a ton of tickets, revived interest in a franchise that was going down the tubes. He then took us back to the "average" from well below average, setting a ton of records along the way.

The old timers will have FAR WORSE trades than that one.

CW

What was so horrible about the Bledsoe trade?  He sold a ton of tickets, revived interest in a franchise that was going down the tubes.  He then took us back to the "average" from well below average, setting a ton of records along the way.

The old timers will have FAR WORSE trades than that one.

CW

305298[/snapback]

I'm not really talking about ticket sales in this regard. I'm talking about as an overall whole with the main emphasis on the on field results of the trade.

The Johnson trade set us back a few years and the Bledsoe trade turned out to be a disaster. The Pats got a great young player with our pick and we got a has been QB who played well for 8 games out of 48.

As for the Hobert trade, I don't even remember what we gave up for him.

I knew someone would say Bledsoe, but I didn't figure on the poster doing it. Bledsoe was NOT a bad trade. Bledsoe was a fantastic trade. We were desperate, we were about to start Alex Van Pelt on a 3-13 team. OUCH.

Bledsoe brought immediate legitimacy to the position, inflated our ticket sales, and brought excitement back to Buffalo.

Not to mention that he had a Probowl year, was good enough to inflate Peerless' numbers so we could get our first rounder back, and draft McGahee. Not to mention the other players who came to Buffalo, who probably would not have come if we didn't have a true quarterback.

In hindsight, yes Bledsoe couldn't win the big one for us. Bledsoe couldn't even get us in the playoffs. But he was definitely worth the trade!

1. Giving up Lamonica

2. Getting RJ

3. Getting Drew

4. Giving up Haven Moses

5. Getting Billy Joe Hobert.

All-in-all, not too bad. The Bills haven't made too many bad trades...

made up for it though with some of their draft picks. :(

May 11, 1971 BILLS TRADE RON McDOLE TO REDSKINS

DE Ron McDole, a starter since 1963, was traded to the Washington Redskins for an undisclosed draft choice.

It was thought that McDole was washed up...instead he went on to play with Washington for 7 years.

my top 3...

1.  Lamonica to Raiders

2.  1st round pick for Rob Johnson

3.  4th round pick for Rob Johnson.  technically same trade as #2, but even a 4th was too much for this piece of Stojan

305324[/snapback]

Probably the proper order. The Drew trade at the beginning looked like a saviour for the Bills, ticket sales and season tickets increased etc. Problem is he was good for only about 16( I am being generous) good games over the three year period with 8 coming in the first year.

Lamonica vs Kemp had the city as polarized as RJ vs Flutie.

Best Trades :

OJ to San Fran - eventually allowed a trade that brought Kelly to the Bills

Trade for Bisquit