Rewatched the playoff game and I’m optimistic for next season

I really thought I’d watch that game and feel like we completely collapsed because that’s what it felt like watching it in real time. 

Now that I rewatched it, I feel better about Josh Allen, and the team going into next season.

The National story line is he (Josh) fell apart after the fumble but in watching the game that’s not true. He was behind the chains often because of bad play calling or penalties and he made some incredible throws that were dropped or called back for a penalty. This coupled with the fact that he was forcing some things because we needed things to happen, and that how you get the poor stat line.

IMO He needs 1 more WR out there that can get open and make a tough catch once in a while and I believe we’re gonna make a real run at this thing next season. 

Go Bills!! 

• Like (+1) 14

I am really hoping this offense will take a big step with:

-a 3rd year of continuity with QB/OC (and OL, a lot of new bodies from last offseason)

-a full year with Motor as #1 RB (and a hopefully a good #2)

-TE room was young and inexperienced. Looking for Knox and Sweeney to take a step, more so Knox.

-A bona fide #1 WR. I love what John Brown brings to this offense. Looking for a 1a and 1b situation. Would love Higgins or Jefferson.

I think there is a lot of room for growth for the offense next season. I don't see how the offense can regress.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah - I actually felt that way in real time. I don't expect good or great QB's to be "mistake free." The mark of the really good ones is that they have a short memory, and move past their mistakes to keep playing well & taking chances.

Allen led a drive for the game-tying FG, then for the game winning FG.  On the latter, the ref took away what would have been a decent chance for Haushka with a phantom call.  If that call isn't made & the kick is, the entire narrative about Allen & the Bills is completely different.  The negative story after the game would have been how Watson had his chance in OT and blew it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good on you, OP. I haven’t garnered the nerve yet to rewatch, but it’s a loooong offseason. This said, I saw the things you mentioned in real time, agreed with your post-game reflection and knew this place -and the national headline- would be a horror show afterward. 

We’re close, folks. We have the right QB.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Anyone that watches that game, in an objective way, should come away optimistic about next year. Allen certainly had his share of bad decisions/plays; however, there was far more to like about him in that game than to dislike. I can also say that about a number of other players, and the overall team. 

I am looking forward to the off-season. I have no doubt Beane will do all that he can to add those additional pieces this team needs to move to the next level.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billvernsays said:

I really thought I’d watch that game and feel like we completely collapsed because that’s what it felt like watching it in real time. 

Now that I rewatched it, I feel better about Josh Allen, and the team going into next season.

The National story line is he (Josh) fell apart after the fumble but in watching the game that’s not true. He was behind the chains often because of bad play calling or penalties and he made some incredible throws that were dropped or called back for a penalty. This coupled with the fact that he was forcing some things because we needed things to happen, and that how you get the poor stat line.

IMO He needs 1 more WR out there that can get open and make a tough catch once in a while and I believe we’re gonna make a real run at this thing next season. 

Go Bills!! 

This post is on the money. The Texans are a talented and tough team who have passed the test that the Bills are going through now. The Bills are a young team learning who they are, and how to win with it. Another off season of building the roster, hopefully a healthy pre-season, and they will take a step forward once again. JA is the guy, haters just have to deal with it. As a pocket QB, I feel like he will improve for years to come. The Bills are finally in a state of growth with a real QB, and I just couldn't be happier.

• Like (+1) 2

The National story line is he (Josh) fell apart after the fumble but in watching the game that’s not true.

That was the national story based on a couple of bad decisions by Allen in that second half. There were a lot of plays in that 4th quarter and overtime that, on the surface, contributed to this idea that Allen had a complete meltdown. However, it was really more about execution and situational factors than it was about Allen falling apart, and much of it was more nuanced than obvious.

For example, in OT, the Bills are faced with a 2nd and 9 at their 43. The Texans have a 6 on 5 advantage on the line of scrimmage and bring all 6. Ford is matched up against LB McKinney on his inside and DE Watt on his outside. Both McKinney and Watt rush. Ford has to take McKinney on the inside, leaving Watt with a free path to Allen. Beasley is the hot read on a slant. If you watch the play as it unfolds in the game, you see the pressure, Beasley underneath, and it looks like Allen just doesn't make the read, makes a bad pass, or just throws it away for another incompletion.

However, in the All 22, below, you can see Allen reads all of it and is prepared to go to Beasley. You can actually see Allen start to bring his arm up and back to throw to Beasley. Beasley then sits on the route and Allen cannot make the throw because Watt is directly in the way. However, Allen, stays calm in the face of Watt's pressure, waits as long as he can, readjusts, and makes the throw to Beasley. However, Beasley, at the same time, starts to move across the middle, and the pass goes to the spot Beasley just vacated. IMO, I see Allen doing a lot of good things here. It didn't work, but, not because he panicked, fell apart, or was having a meltdown

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Go Bills!! 

for sure Josh did nothing wrong. So excited for next year once we get all the bums off the team and coaching staff. Go Josh!!

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

for sure Josh did nothing wrong. So excited for next year once we get all the bums off the team and coaching staff. Go Josh!!

That is such a tired criticism. The OP didn't say that and I can't remember any other posters saying that. There are plenty of posters defending him against this idea that he had a complete meltdown, that he was the primary reason they lost the game, and other assertions. However, none of us are exonerating him from his own bad plays or decisions during this game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

That is such a tired criticism. The OP didn't say that and I can't remember any other posters saying that. There are plenty of posters defending him against this idea that he had a complete meltdown, that he was the primary reason they lost the game, and other assertions. However, none of us are exonerating him from his own bad plays or decisions during this game.

BS other posters haven’t said that. Lurk more. The josh allen excuse club is and has been alive and thriving around here for two years now. You can try to gaslight as best you can but it ain’t gonna work on me.

BS other posters haven’t said that. Lurk more. The josh allen excuse club is and has been alive and thriving around here for two years now. You can try to gaslight as best you can but it ain’t gonna work on me.

I doubt, when it comes to Allen, any rational, objective, discourse would work on you....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s right. Nobody. Nobody has said that. Anywhere. It’s absurd that there are people fool enough to believe that they need to straw man so massively in order to discuss Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I doubt, when it comes to Allen, any rational, objective, discourse would work on you....

Whatever you say big chief. I’m crazy. That’s why we have multiple threads on the coaching, the secondary, the wide receivers (several) on the first page of the board and yet no honest, rational breakdown of josh allen. Yes it’s all my bias at work. Child.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Whatever you say big chief. I’m crazy. That’s why we have multiple threads on the coaching, the secondary, the wide receivers (several) on the first page of the board and yet no honest, rational breakdown of josh allen. Yes it’s all my bias at work. Child.

Keep tossing insults. It’s definitely making you more persuasive ? 

Sorry that the 27 (exaggeration) Allen threads from the 3 days following the game weren’t enough for you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Why so angry and aggressive? The OP did not say that and nobody in this thread has said that. Yet you chose to respond with that to the OP. You clearly feel you have an axe to grind; however, it is not relevant to this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He’s right. Nobody. Nobody has said that. Anywhere. It’s absurd that there are people fool enough to believe that they need to straw man so massively in order to discuss Allen. 

that’s just a flat lie. You can and will lose count on the Allen threads claiming “he just need mo’ help” and “coaching let him down” again, you can switch gears all you want now that’s it’s the offseason. Receipts are there.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s just a flat lie. You can and will lose count on the Allen threads claiming “he just need mo’ help” and “coaching let him down” again, you can switch gears all you want now that’s it’s the offseason. Receipts are there.

You do understand that it is possible for the recognition that Allen has flaws, the need for his improvement; the need for improvement / upgrades in personnel around him; the need for better calling / play designs at times; or any number of other issues that could also affect his play, can all exist at the same time, right? That these things are not mutually exclusive? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4