21 Point Goal

JoshAllin

Is this true? I heard someone here mention this "McDermott has said over and over they want 21 points" if so this is holding the offense back, so if the team goes up 16 by the 1st half the plays get more conservative since the goal is already within reach just need to get a few more fg's. This is pretty wrong if you ask me the goal should be 21pts each half.

Haven't seen anything from him indicating that this is their weekly goal of points. I seem to remember him mentioning 21 points once in response to a question about scoring more, but j got the impression he was just throwing out a random number that happened to be too low.

8 minutes ago, motorj said:

And surprisingly enough his team had the 10th ranked offense

Right, but the defensive guru turned us from the 4th ranked defense under Schwartz to the 19th two years in a row.  That amounts to a mediocre football team.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Haven't seen anything from him indicating that this is their weekly goal of points. I seem to remember him mentioning 21 points once in response to a question about scoring more, but j got the impression he was just throwing out a random number that happened to be too low.

This was indeed the origin of this. Of course the guy would love to lead the league in scoring, when he said 21 it was completely off the cuff and not some indicator that his goal is to strive for 21ppg but no more 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/02/what-sean-mcdermott-said-about-being-defensive-coach-in-offensive-era-of-nfl.html

"We want to be able to score 21 points at least every game - be a threat to score 21,” he said. "Whether that happens or not, you’re going against a defense and weather. ... (You build your roster) to give yourself a legitimate chance to score 21 points. That’s really where the league is."

I'm not sure what the issue is with his statement. He said they want to be able to score 21 at least every game. I take that as the minimum starting point. He acknowledged the need for offense in the league as it is now. 

Honestly, people will turn anything into what they want it to be.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, motorj said:

Is this true? I heard someone here mention this "McDermott has said over and over they want 21 points" if so this is holding the offense back, so if the team goes up 16 by the 1st half the plays get more conservative since the goal is already within reach just need to get a few more fg's. This is pretty wrong if you ask me the goal should be 21pts each half.

He's said it a couple of times in press conferences.  I don't think he has said specifically it's a goal.  It's stated as a minimum - we need to score at least 20 or 21 points.

It's not without a factual basis.  The league average for points scored per game is usually between 22 and 23 - this year it's 22.8.  The standard deviation is 4.

So between 18.8 and 26.8 would represent a "typical" offensive points for or defensive points given up.

McDermott's defense this year gave up an average of 16 points per game.  I'm not sure what the Bills standard deviation is, but essentially, he's saying that he has confidence we can run a D that gives up less than the league minimum, but we need to be scoring at least a league standard deviation above what we give up, or we won't win consistently.  He's right.

Again, it's a minimum - not a goal.