To All the People Saying They Went Into a Shell up 16-0...You're Missing the Strategy

HardyBoy

“Strategy” and Tragedy” look very similar...........

But alas, they are very different......  ?

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott trending conservative is one issue I have with him.  Really bad in-game situational decision making is another issue I have with him.

Again, I like McDermott.  He broke the playoff drought and can consistently get us into the playoffs, in my opinion.

However, the way he is as a coach at this moment, I don't believe he's the "Championship Caliber" coach he pushes his team to be.

Then again, maybe next year we'll start the year with the "Championship Caliber" placard rather than switching to it mid-season from "Playoff Caliber."  I think that was a bit of a symbolic faux pas on his part.

I’ll give him a chance to learn and grow as a coach, just like we expect from the players. I like him too. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

More talented, yes. Not significantly more talented.  And considerably less experienced. This team is the start of something but let's not forget the battle hardened vets on that team - Clay, McCoy, Wood, Incognito, Glenn, Kyle, Dareus. That team scraped in on the final game and this team was in with two weeks to spare with 10 wins and could afford to give up a game by resting starters in week 17. 

I think this team is talented but young and has made some mistakes that typically come with that inexperience. 

Oh come on.  Considerably less experienced?  That's a stretch. There's youth at some critical positions, but I don't think you can say this team is considerably less experienced.  Same average age pretty much for this team as 2017.  Milano was a rookie in 2017.  So was White.  So was Zay Jones.  So was Dion Dawkins.

The Bills brought in Frank Gore, John Brown, Cole Beasley and Mitch Morse, all of whom had playoff experience.

Plus, all the vets on our team who were here 2 years ago (Poyer, Hyde, Hughes, LoRax, Milano, Dawkins) also already have experience in a playoff game.

You're obviously referring to Allen and Edmunds.  And again, I think McDermott could have done something to mitigate their inexperience.

To say that the Bills lost mostly because of lack of talent in a road game they essentially dominated for the entire first half just seems silly.  So, they're talented enough for first halves in the playoffs, but not second halves?

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

To say that the Bills lost mostly because of lack of talent in a road game they essentially dominated for the entire first half just seems silly.  So, they're talented enough for first halves in the playoffs, but not second halves?

The Bills could have beaten the Texans. It was always a toss up 50/50 game to me. They made mistakes 2nd half. Some of those were coaching mistakes - I have already said that - but others were young players failing to execute in big moments. Whether it was the linebackers dropping to deep in zone, Knox and Ford failing to execute a block, Allen fumbling the ball. They are young players who made mistakes in the moment. They are talented but they are not the finished product yet. 

As for the average age of the rosters - yep, similar. Average age of the players taking snaps in game was down on 2017. 

The Bills were talented enough to beat the Texans. Execution and mistakes were the main reasons for their defeat. But they are not talented enough yet on offense in particular to be a true contender. 

On 1/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, HardyBoy said:

The only goal there is to get up by three scores, period, end of story. They were in perfect position to do that before the Watt sack and Allen got rattled after that, which happens and impacted everything that came after it...and they still almost won. Put away the pitchforks.

That was the biggest game of Josh Allen's life he'll learn from this. Shoot it took Lebron James getting posted up by JJ Barea and the Mavs to learn the lessons that allowed him to mentally excel in that level of stress and expectation.

What does this have to do with abandoning the running game (Singletary)?

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What does this have to do with abandoning the running game (Singletary)?

This is something that very few want to acknowledge for some reason.

I think it is THE reason we lost the game.  The most common comeback I get is, "Josh had to be better," which tells me that they don't understand that if Devin Singletary is getting the ball, all Josh has to do is ***** hand it to him.

26 passes/5 rushes after the Bills went up 16-0.  Dumb.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is something that very few want to acknowledge for some reason.

I think it is THE reason we lost the game.  The most common comeback I get is, "Josh had to be better," which tells me that they don't understand that if Devin Singletary is getting the ball, all Josh has to do is ***** hand it to him.

26 passes/5 rushes after the Bills went up 16-0.  Dumb.

To be clear my retort has never been "Josh had to be better" it has been Brown, Duke and then the three guys who failed to execute a block on one defender need to be better. I agree they got away from Singletary in the 2nd half and OT and the pass / run ratio was off in those periods. But ultimately if Brown, Duke or the three blockers make plays that are there to be made we are playing in Kansas City this week whether the playcalling was good, bad or indifferent.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To be clear my retort has never been "Josh had to be better" it has been Brown, Duke and then the three guys who failed to execute a block on one defender need to be better. I agree they got away from Singletary in the 2nd half and OT and the pass / run ratio was off in those periods. But ultimately if Brown, Duke or the three blockers make plays that are there to be made we are playing in Kansas City this week whether the playcalling was good, bad or indifferent.

If they don't abandon Singletary they don't need Brown or Duke or three blockers or three tacklers on third and eighteen.   The playcalling was an issue and not just this game.  You can continue to bury your head in the sand or you can be realistic.

It should not have come down to one single player or play.  

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If they don't abandon Singletary they don't need Brown or Duke or three blockers or three tacklers on third and eighteen.   The playcalling was an issue and not just this game.  You can continue to bury your head in the sand or you can be realistic.

It should not have come down to one single player or play.  

But the Brown and Williams plays were while the playcaling was still balanced. I am not burying my head in the sand. I agree they got away from the run. But I object totally to the idea that is was the main reason we lost. We lost primarily because our players failed to execute in big spots. And it easier for fans to turn that on the coaches then get their heads out of the sand and admit that the talent on this team is still short of where it needs to be to truly contend.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the Brown and Williams plays were while the playcaling was still balanced. I am not burying my head in the sand. I agree they got away from the run. But I object totally to the idea that is was the main reason we lost. We lost primarily because our players failed to execute in big spots. And it easier for fans to turn that on the coaches then get their heads out of the sand and admit that the talent on this team is still short of where it needs to be to truly contend.

The talent is clearly not where it needs to be, I've never suggested otherwise.  Did the players execute all plays that were within their grasp? No. Do teams ever play perfect games? No.

The coaches, especially the HC and coordinators, are in place to put the team in a position to overcome those shortcomings (and even poor officiating).  Didn't happen (again).

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The talent is clearly not where it needs to be, I've never suggested otherwise.  Did the players execute all plays that were within their grasp? No. Do teams ever play perfect games? No.

The coaches, especially the HC and coordinators, are in place to put the team in a position to overcome those shortcomings (and even poor officiating).  Didn't happen (again).

I totally disagree. No coach or playcaller ever calls a perfect game either. The Bills coaches called and prepared a game good enough to be a more talented team. It didn't need the players to execute special plays to win. Just a couple of basic ones would have been enough to squeak through.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I totally disagree. No coach or playcaller ever calls a perfect game either. The Bills coaches called and prepared a game good enough to be a more talented team. It didn't need the players to execute special plays to win. Just a couple of basic ones would have been enough to squeak through.

You totally disagree that coaches are in place to put the team in a position to overcome shortcomings?  You really do?  I wonder why they exist then.  Perhaps you can educate me on that.

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

You totally disagree that coaches are in place to put the team in a position to overcome shortcomings?  You really do?  I wonder why they exist then.  Perhaps you can educate me on that.

I totally disagree that they failed to do so, which is what I presume your "Didn't happen" referred to. I think they did mange to do so. I think we lost this game primarily because players failed to execute the plan in big moments.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I totally disagree that they failed to do so, which is what I presume your "Didn't happen" referred to. I think they did mange to do so. I think we lost this game primarily because players failed to execute the plan in big moments.

The team failed because of a combination of plays left on the field and plays left in the playbooks.  It was up to Daboll to find the right combination of plays to win that game.  It was up to Daboll and McDermott to have the team prepared at the end of each half.  Were they?   You're players make plays diatribe misses instance after instance where proper preparation and coaching overcomes an otherwise superior opponent. 

The players were let down by the coaches (and McDermott said as much).

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

The team failed because of a combination of plays left on the field and plays left in the playbooks.  It was up to Daboll to find the right combination of plays to win that game.  It was up to Daboll and McDermott to have the team prepared at the end of each half.  Were they?   You're players make plays diatribe misses instance after instance where proper preparation and coaching overcomes an otherwise superior opponent. 

Look it always ultimately rests with the Head Coach. That is the job and Sean McDermott knows that as well as anyone. But they coached well enough to win that game in my mind. Execution failed us. Yet again.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Look it always ultimately rests with the Head Coach. That is the job and Sean McDermott knows that as well as anyone. But they coached well enough to win that game in my mind. Execution failed us. Yet again.

26 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

They didn't coach well enough to win.  They coached as if they were trying to lose.

Clearly, there is a lack of talent on offense.  More clearly, Devin Singletary is NOT one of those lacking talent … specifically in this game.  He was averaging 5 YPC, which is about what he averaged for the season.

Coaching well enough to win would have been NOT relying on less-talented players and giving the ball to the most consistent person on the field.

Calling nonsensical plays, then blaming JV players for not executing said plays is nothing but deflection.

They were set up to fail and they executed that failure perfectly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Calling nonsensical plays, then blaming JV players for not executing said plays is nothing but deflection.

Nonsensical plays? What like a throw to the endzone right into the receiver's hands on third down? Or a QB power run with three blockers out in front? Of a 3rd and 18 defense we have run successfully dozens of times this season. If the players had failed to execute some of the more bizarre play calls then I would agree you with. They failed to execute some pretty simply plays.

Execution. Execution. Execution.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2020 at 4:59 PM, Mr. WEO said:

An elite D doesn't give up a 3rd Q shutout.  

True, the D was pretty good all year but no where near elite status.  Their problem ending up being playing too conservative (3rd and 18), which is kind of the problem across the board on this team.

Edited by HeHateMe
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2020 at 7:30 PM, MAJBobby said:

how many times did “Gore’s turn” kill a drive?

This always sort of puzzled me with Yeldon. We went into every game with two backs, but one was aging pretty quickly as the season went on, and had proved not to be able to do much.

Andre Roberts did a mediocre job at kick returns this year. Dimarco could be replaced on game day with any of our TE's. It would not have been that hard to make a spot for an RB3 who is capable of making a play or two on game day.