17 points again - McD says he wants 21, but certainly doesn't play that way

Billsfan1972

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How do you know?????  Because McD coined the phrase "Process".....

Seems a lot here love the word Process from a coach who took over a team that went 24-24 the three years prior to him & is 25-22 with him as coach......

Trust the process has been around for many decades. McDermott hardly coined it. He is one of the first to use it so often in sports, so I guess that's something.

But you're missing the point about wins. We rebuilt. It was a near-total rebuild, and when you do that fans should understand that you're going to suck for a while. McDermott has maximized each of the three rosters he's had. Managing five wins last year with that group was exceptional.

16 hours ago, MDH said:

Pats played a top 5 D last night. How’d that turn out for them?

Great comparison.

Brady = Allen?

Pats OL = Bills OL?

Please. They're a terrific team and we gave them a hell of a game on both sides of the ball.

We're a young offense that hasn't played together much. Two starters from the offense last year, and the Pats have a ton of time in their scheme and have a lot. Play the game called "The Pats Did It, So If We Didn't, It's Daboll's Fault," and you'll come to the conclusion you want but that won't mean it's a conclusion that makes any sense. Very few teams play like the Pats. Their record will show that.

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea the conservative nature of the offense is more McDermott than Daboll. 

It was laughable when McD tried to start running out the clock at the BEGINNING of the 4th quarter only up 4 points- no killer instinct...makes me wonder if that whole “play fearless “ mantra was more for him than the team. 

Always an excuse for the offense.  Look around the NFL.

Anyone see what Philadelphia did with the lead & Dallas able to call three time outs & get the ball back if they did not get a first down?  They threw it, got the first down & ran it out.  

This offense does not play fearless & this is a reflection of the coaching.  

The only game they scored over 30 was vs. Miami (yes they did it twice, but the first was returning an onside kick in the last minute for a TD).   

20 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yeah, remember how they just played for a FG near the end of the first half, when they could have had Josh chuck it downfield for a TD?

Oh, wait...

the playcalling at the end of the 1st and 2nd half (minus the last 3 plays) was great and totally different from the rest of the game.  Need to get i to a rythym that keeps D’s off balance like that.  I think that is on the OC.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

the playcalling at the end of the 1st and 2nd half (minus the last 3 plays) was great and totally different from the rest of the game.  Need to get i to a rythym that keeps D’s off balance like that.  I think that is on the OC.  

Have to be aggressive, show motion, play action, quicker tempo, throw screens, slants & short passes & keep the other team off balance.

As said all things the Bills don't do & thus stuck in a rut.  

21 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I disagree , the coaching staff has shown no signs of changing the philosophy of playing not to lose.  We routinely sit on small leads and we take no chances on defense The skill guys on offense are not exceptional and the  O line is not stout enough to win playing this bland scheme.  Maybe against softer opponents.  This defense has zero scores this year ZERO!!!!!!  That tells me we dont get after the qb.  Bills have a whopping 6 tds that didnt come from Josh Allen  Seriously what coach says he's looking for 21 pts!!

If I was able to start a thread I would title it "McDermott, is doing a great job, but he is killing me"

Evaluating this coaching staff is pretty challenging.  The Bills are 10-5 and have been competitive in 14/15 games.  The all time greatest coach in the NFL's team is 12-3 and has also been competitive in 14 games.  The only difference between the Bills and Patriots is the head to head games between the two teams.  And both were competitive.  All of that is a strong argument that the coaching staff is doing a great job.

On the other hand, in the four competitive losses, all seemed like better game day coaching could have allowed the Bills to win those games.  In the one blow out loss we looked terrible (so did the Pats against the Ravens").  It seemed like in many of the ten wins, we did not put the game away as easily as could have been done with better game day coaching decisions.  This compares to elite teams like the Saints, Ravens or Patriots who seem to stomp most of their opponents when they do win. 

19 hours ago, whorlnut said:

This is the main point to be made. 

After getting the lead, the staff immediately became conservative and put the game in the defense’s hands. Allen has just come off of a perfect ball to Brown to be ordered to take three straight runs and punt. How about letting your qb keep the good vibe going?  Nope. Time to put the game away with the defense with a full quarter to go. 

Not. Good. Enough. 

As is blaming Allen on a weekly basis. Goes both ways. 

Awesome ? 

18 hours ago, Lurker said:

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a small but growing thought that this year's focus continues to be about putting Josh in as many pressure situations as possible.   

Sure, making the playoffs is nice (maybe even a bonus), but the "process" is all about 2020.   Forcing Josh to deal with tight, low scoring defensive struggles (almost like 50/50 jump balls) is about his development.    Next year, when he has more weapons, maybe McD will take off the training wheels...

I hope you are wrong.  Because in the modern NFL that is insane.  The Patriots are the exception that proves the rule.  With the salary cap structure teams need to pick their spots and take the opportunities each season.   At the point the Bills realized they have a historically easy schedule this year, and have a damn near fully healthy team, they should be focusing on getting to the Super Bowl this year.  The stars don't align every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I hope you are wrong.  Because in the modern NFL that is insane.  The Patriots are the exception that proves the rule.  With the salary cap structure teams need to pick their spots and take the opportunities each season.   At the point the Bills realized they have a historically easy schedule this year, and have a damn near fully healthy team, they should be focusing on getting to the Super Bowl this year.  The stars don't align every year. 

Everything has aligned & the Bills won the games they should have, were competitive week after week.

However they also put no teams away, have no killer instinct & continued to rely too much on McD's bread & butter, the Defense.  

Yes we're Bills fans, but need to acknowledge offensively they are pretty much like watching paint dry week to week.

Yes I know they are lousy teams (all of whom the Bills played this season), but look at yesterday's Mia vs. Cincy & Wash vs. NYG game for exciting Offense.....

BTW the Jets beat Pitt, who again we considered a "Signature" win.