Barnwell Blind Stats - Allen and Goff

inthebuff

Some here should take some time to read the post about developing young QBs by Thurman#1

It references an article that explains how McVay has been working Goff like a meat puppet, calling all the plays and adjustments via communication in Goff's helmet. McVay also used motion as a lot of window-dressing to get a better handle on the defensive look and assignments. That all worked great till teams like Patricia's Detroit decided to ignore the pre-snap motion, and Beligoat took things a step further. Not only ignoring the motion, but realizing that communication is cut after 15 seconds are left on the snap clock Belichick's defense would make their shifts and adjustments at the 15 sec mark.

McVay was helpless at the sideline and Goff on his own - the results were clear.

Either way, it was an interesting read and I cannot exactly fault McVay's approach as folks are looking for rookie QB's to perform at a veteran level so why not use them like a video avatar and leverage new technology, but there is something to developing that on-field general who can pick up on defensive schemes and where to go and be able to ball on his own.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with the Rams offense is McVay. Not Goff. 

The test of being a really top end coach is when teams work your thing out how quickly can you adapt. Remember when Chip Kelly was worked out? He never adapted and his career has been on the slide ever since. Matt Patricia laid out the template for stopping the Rams late last season and they have never been the same team. That isn't to say I think Goff is an elite QB. I don't think he is. But he is a solid top 10 / top 12 guy who at the moment is playing in an offense that is structurally broken. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The test of being a really top end coach is when teams work your thing out how quickly can you adapt. Remember when Chip Kelly was worked out? He never adapted and his career has been on the slide ever since. Matt Patricia laid out the template for stopping the Rams late last season and they have never been the same team. That isn't to say I think Goff is an elite QB. I don't think he is. But he is a solid top 10 / top 12 guy who at the moment is playing in an offense that is structurally broken. 

McVay is easy on the eyes, though.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:17 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think his point is that Goff was regarded as a promising next-gen Rodgers or Brady, while Allen was (is) regarded as - what did they say - "Big armed bust" "Joke of a first round QB draft pick" "Has statistically less than zero chance to succeed in the NFL" or words to that effect.

And yet right now they are putting up similar numbers

I think he’s a promising young QBs at a crossroads with some red flags

both of them. 

allen is about to have one of the best shots of his career to win the big one. Goff will need to prove he can be that guy even when the deck isn’t stacked incredibly in his favor.

Goff passed his first test, Allen’s taking his first test. 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, eball said:

Josh is most certainly on an upward trajectory...by almost any measure his last two starts have been his best.  If he dials in the long ball, look out.

that’s such a small sample that it’s hard to point to meaningfully 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

well, McVay similarMy has to overcome declining talent once you pay the QB market value. Paired with a big hit in Gurley. Both guys will have their chops tested with more film on them and less talent around to hide their weaknesses. The first few years after paying a qb will be highly interesting stories in today’s nfl