R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

Just now, JM57 said:

One fairly common injury last year (turf toe) and one this year due to crap field conditions when the Bengals chose to practice off campus. But sure he's useless and we should keep running a practice squad WR out there

I don't like the risk. We need to stop watching AJ Green highlights of yesteryear. He is not that guy anymore. If Beane does make a trade for a wr, he should represent the present and the future. At this stage, the Bills need help, and they cannot afford to miss.

1 hour ago, Rocket94 said:

I don't like the risk. We need to stop watching AJ Green highlights of yesteryear. He is not that guy anymore. If Beane does make a trade for a wr, he should represent the present and the future. At this stage, the Bills need help, and they cannot afford to miss.

Thanks for the prognosis Nostradamus ?

• Haha (+1) 1

He was fantastic last year before suffering a toe injury. He was playing at an all-pro level through his first 8 games. He's only 31 and can still play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

He was fantastic last year before suffering a toe injury. He was playing at an all-pro level through his first 8 games. He's only 31 and can still play. 

I realize that. I understand who he is. I would like to see the Bills get someone younger to grow with the team. Who knows, maybe Beane will feel compelled enough to get Green. I would not mind it...just not the long term answer. 

Just now, Rocket94 said:

I realize that. I understand who he is. I would like to see the Bills get someone younger to grow with the team. Who knows, maybe Beane will feel compelled enough to get Green. I would not mind it...just not the long term answer. 

I know what you're saying, but my view is that this isn't about long-term answers. He's an elite player for this season, and I want the Bills to win a playoff game for the first time this century. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I know what you're saying, but my view is that this isn't about long-term answers. He's an elite player for this season, and I want the Bills to win a playoff game for the first time this century. 

I would love to win as much as anybody...believe me. Beane and McDermott have arrived at an interesting crossroad. The Bills appear to be moving ahead of schedule and wr is a glaring need. Do they bank on Green and risk draft picks for the here and now, or do they invest in a similar and younger talent for the future. It is Beanes's call.

10 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I would love to win as much as anybody...believe me. Beane and McDermott have arrived at an interesting crossroad. The Bills appear to be moving ahead of schedule and wr is a glaring need. Do they bank on Green and risk draft picks for the here and now, or do they invest in a similar and younger talent for the future. It is Beane's call.

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Indeed, a tough call for Beane.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not against the idea of trading for a guy like AJ Green. He may not be the unstoppable force he once was, but he would still be the best WR on the team if healthy. Because even with a drop off, he has an almighty high bar to begin with.

Getting Green for the next 3 years, could be extremely valuable for Allen's development. All the talk about wanting guys for the future, is all very well, but we only know we have Allen for the first 5-6 years of his career, and we are in year 2 of that. Unlike years ago, you are a lot less llikely to have QB and WR combinations that will (largely) see out their careers together. I believe if you have the opportunity to get someone like Green for a portion of a career, it's well worth doing.

No idea what the actual trade vlue could be, but I wouldn't give any more than a 2nd round pick.

I would also be potentially interested in Green as a FA for the next few, if Cinci aren't going to move him by the deadline.

When you are talking elite talents, like Green, age is a little less of a factor, assuming the injuries that have been incurred aren't of a serious nature.

51 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

Go all in on Mike Evans.   Offer a 1st, and 3rd and Foster.  Go big.  Just my opinion. 

I must respectfully and strenuously disagree. The 2020 draft is just too plentiful at talented WRs to give up picks like that imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Green is a great receiver. My one and only worry with him is how much he would care about this season when he stands to make untold guaranteed millions as a ufa. I think that whether or not he would go all out is a tossup.

Next year might be the deepest wide receiver draft I have ever seen. We might be able to pick up 2 very good wrs. if we keep our picks.

Yes...that is what I am saying. If Beane really is looking for a Wr, we don't even know who it would be. My guess is that if he wants to go all in, it will be someone off the radar, someone not thought to be available, someone healthy and younger. I have no idea lo!

26 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Bill, I think he stands to make a lot more money if he proves on the field he's still elite after missing essentially his last 16 games. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Bill, I think he stands to make a lot more money if he proves on the field he's still elite after missing essentially his last 16 games. 

Very good point. There could also be some middle ground with him playing his best for just a few games.

I think that man is great. My issue is how much to give up.

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Very good point. There could also be some middle ground with him playing his best for just a few games.

I think that man is great. My issue is how much to give up.

The Bills traded Sammy for a two. A J Green albeit is older with less tread on the tires, but he's also more proven and from all  accounts has the kind of character Buffalo is looking for in a player IMO.  

Edited by Figster

48 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I must respectfully and strenuously disagree. The 2020 draft is just to plentiful at talented WRs to give up picks like that imo.

I think we need a really good WR right now, not one in 2-3 years. We can’t wait for a guy to develop. 

Most players aren’t great out of the box. I can’t name the last WR who had 1000 yards as a rookie. Amari Cooper?

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

The Bills traded Sammy for a two. A J Green albeit is older with less tread on the tires, but he's also more proven and from all acccounts has the character Buffalo is looking for in a player IMO.  

OK, what would your top offer be in a year with a draft that is chock full of wide receivers?

The problem is no one is going to trade a great 25 year old WR. That’s why the FA list In 2020 looks like Green, Gordon, and a bunch of nothing. The Bills need waves of weapons so sign Green to a 3 yr deal and draft WRs. If some draftee blows the doors out then you make another deal later, but waiting around for some picks to become stars at WR when we will be picking in the 22+ range is not a sure fire plan. The reason I would give a shot and trade a 2nd for Green is look at our current 2nd rounder this year. Not really very good and they are rotating him because the staff has figured that out. So the cost of a second isn’t really mortgaging the future. Which is more likely..... a superstar returning to 85% of his prior form or a 45th overall pick becoming a superstar ?

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

The problem is no one is going to trade a great 25 year old WR. That’s why the FA list In 2020 looks like Green, Gordon, and a bunch of nothing. The Bills need waves of weapons so sign Green to a 3 yr deal and draft WRs. If some draftee blows the doors out then you make another deal later, but waiting around for some picks to become stars at WR when we will be picking in the 22+ range is not a sure fire plan. The reason I would give a shot and trade a 2nd for Green is look at our current 2nd rounder this year. Not really very good and they are rotating him because the staff has figured that out. So the cost of a second isn’t really mortgaging the future. Which is more likely..... a superstar returning to 85% of his prior form or a 45th overall pick becoming a superstar ?

Who would trade a young star? Good question...probably no one. Lets,wait and see.

Edited by Rocket94

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think we need a really good WR right now, not one in 2-3 years. We can’t wait for a guy to develop. 

Most players aren’t great out of the box. I can’t name the last WR who had 1000 yards as a rookie. Amari Cooper?

The WRs taken in the first round in the past 3 seasons (2016-2018 prior to this one) are as follows:

Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Will Fuller,  Laquon Treadwell, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, DJ Moore, and Calvin Ridley.

Ridley did the best of the bunch as a rookie, and he had just 821 yards as a complementary player to Julio Jones. 

Not a great group in terms of first/second-year production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1