Lenny P. has some T. Henry stuff in Tip Sheet

jahnyc

Sorry if already posted and that I do not know how to provide links, but Lenny P. states in this week's Tip Sheet that the Henry for Shelton may not happen. Apparently, the Bills coaches are less than enamored with Shelton and some feel he would be a sixth lineman for the team. LP suggests that we may have options with other teams at a later point in time.

Do we really want Teague at LT? Seems scary to me.

Don't you just hate flip-floppers? Yeah, us, too, except when we are forced to reverse positions on an issue. Like the much discussed trade of Buffalo Bills disgruntled tailback Travis Henry to the Arizona Cardinals for left offensive tackle L.J.Shelton, who clearly has fallen out of favor with coach Dennis Green and his staff. We reported in this space two weeks ago that the swap would almost certainly occur before the draft.

And now? We're not so sure. For one thing, upon further inspection, the Buffalo staff isn't nearly as enamored of Shelton as it once appeared to be. There are some Bills coaches who feel that Shelton would not be a starter in Buffalo, and that he probably would serve only as the team's No. 6 offensive lineman. That means, barring an unexpected event, the Bills plan to move starting center Trey Teague to left tackle, the position he played early in his career, with the Denver Broncos. It also probably means there will not be a straight player-for-player swap between the Bills and the Cardinals. The Bills still feel they need to get something more in return for Henry, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher, who lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last season, and who has vowed he will never again play in a Bills uniform.

So if Henry isn't shipped off to Arizona, where does he go? Maybe back to the Bills, who certainly can afford to keep him, especially with a palatable base salary of $1.25 million. Sure, there would have to be some fences mended for Henry to play in Buffalo again. But the rhetoric and posturing of March and April, such as that done by Henry a couple weeks ago, typically is long forgotten [and forgiven] when teams start doling out paychecks.

There also is the possibility that Buffalo could find a trade partner other than Arizona, and that notion isn't so far-fetched. A few other clubs have contacted Bills general manager Tom Donahoe and, while none has yet to approximate the ardor of the Cardinals, plenty can happen before the draft. Do not discount teams such as Tampa Bay, Seattle (if the Seahawks suddenly found a buyer for "franchise" tailback Shaun Alexander), Houston and Minnesota as potential suitors.

--------

I wish this deal would just get done with so we can all finally relax. And I dont see any way that Henry ends up back in Buffalo next year. He clearly is ready to hold-out, so we move him or we are stuck with his dead weight on the roster.

Sounds like posturing to me.

300189[/snapback]

TD getting Lenny to do his posturing work for him. Not unusual at all. Now I am sure this trade is going to happen and the swap of seconds is included.

Sounds like posturing to me.

300189[/snapback]

Yep, I agree. Ol' TD just putting the heat on Denny Green to swap second round picks.

You'd think TD's long-standing use of Pasta-belly to "send messages through the media" would be well-known around the league by now.

Hmmm doesn't think that shelton would be anything more than our 6th lineman? that is a bit of a concern... if we slide up the 11 spots we can take Baas, which i would like at center, move teague over, which i am fine with... but what the heck are we doing paying a back up tackle 3M a year for?

Guys I told you this the other day. From what Green and others are saying it is sounding like it is Henry to move up 11 spots from 55 to 44. that's it. Not sure if Shelton failed a physical or he did not impress someone when he came to town. He looks good on film especially in run blocking and against power edge rushers.

But right now my impression is it is TH for move up only. Sounds like someone else offered the Cards a #4 and a #2 Cb for Shelton some time recently as well.

It sounded like the Cards wanted Henry and a #4 or so, and TD said no. Also sounds like TD wanted to trade TH for Shelton straight up and the Cards said no. So this is where the move up trade came in. Move up 11 for Henry.

But who the hell knows at this point.

Yep, I agree.  Ol' TD just putting the heat on Denny Green to swap second round picks. 

You'd think TD's long-standing use of Pasta-belly to "send messages through the media" would be well-known around the league by now.

300197[/snapback]

Green only mentioned Henry for a swap of the #2's. He never, ever mentioned Shelton as part of that deal.

Green only mentioned Henry for a swap of the #2's. He never, ever mentioned Shelton as part of that deal.

300202[/snapback]

It's a given that Shelton is off their team and off their books because they are trying to dump his salary and Green doesn't want him anyways. Also, TD would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever trade Travis Henry for only a swap of seconds. That aint happenin.

Henry for a swap of 2nds, which as I said is equivalent to the 2nd pick of the 4th rounds, is a NO DEAL. That is unless Green wants to throw in a conditional 2006 pick, that could be worth as much as a 1st rounder depending on performance. Otherwise he can take his chances with the draft. Oh and that sucks if true that Shelton would at best be the 6th lineman. I don't see the Bills trading for him and paying him $3M to be a backup. But again, who knows what the truth is?

I really don't care if we get LJ or if in fact we do trade TH. The only thing I want or care about is DRAFT PICKS. Get 'em, I don't care how.

People, or should I say the "experts", don't think that this is a very strong draft, or at least in some areas. I think that this year's draft has the type of players that Buffalo needs. I don't care about other teams and I don't care about other positions. Donahoe, get finished what you started. I believe he will. It's time to get deep into the play-offs, anything else is a failure. Forget about the inexperienced QB. We got the players and we got the nucleus.

I think that we'll see a big increase of activity of acquiring talent from just before the draft until training camp. TD laid purposely, waiting to see last residual of available talent. This way he didn't have to pay too much and allowed more dollars for the draft.

GO BILLS!

Lenny P:  "He's traded, he's not traded, he's traded, he's not traded-my @ss is covered, I'm right again, I'm an NFL Savant!"

300244[/snapback]

Pasta-belly's only repeating the sweet nothings Ol' Whitey whispered in his ear, in hopes that Green will--to parahrase TD's comments a few weeks ago--"blink first."

Lenny P:  "He's traded, he's not traded, he's traded, he's not traded-my @ss is covered, I'm right again, I'm an NFL Savant!"

300244[/snapback]

Its hard to do investigative reporting with his head so far up TD's anal orifice...and that's one big noggin Lenny's got by the way.

Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch visited the Bills this week. Coincidence?

Sounds to me like TD is trying to get Arizona's DE Vanden Bosch + Shelton in exchange for Henry, possibly along with a swap of 2nd round picks.

Maybe this is the tinkering that is being done to finalize this deal.

It's pure speculation but isn't that what TSW is all about?